Grado modders go Magnum
May 28, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #2,611 of 4,994
Would a Magnum Grado be recommended for me, to complement my 2 headphones(in sig.)

May 29, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #2,613 of 4,994
You will have less bass with the flats than taped bowls. I have both and keep my taped bowls on most of the time.

May 29, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #2,614 of 4,994
Well I think I've found the bass problem. Connecting the Magnums to my HT receiver got me to realize the the mids with the little dot 2 are too FW, causing the bass to be less sensible (I think...).

BTW I have a pair of taped bowls - didn't helped on the lows issue

May 29, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #2,615 of 4,994
Quote:
Quote:

Also, occasionally Magnum builds come up in the classifieds for very reasonable prices.

Yeah a guy just contacted me giving me first dibs on some V5's so that is pretty much what is going to happen. What do you think about aftermarket cables? Is there any audible difference or is it just marketing? It has to do with magnums so it isn't off-topic.

Oh and yesterday I learned the Magni and O2 are pretty much identical (and Magnum V4's sound quite well on them indeed)

It's a bit YMMV. Other than silver, which makes an obvious difference, I have been a bit ambivalent. I have owned a couple of cables for various headphones that either fixed a problem with the stock cable (which must have been poor, or bad) or did make a dramatic difference, without being insanely expensive. I've also tried re-cabling some headphones and felt it was a waste of time afterwards. I do like the stock Grado cable though and don't think it is bad. I have a fair bit of highly resolving and expensive equipment, so for me at least, spending a couple of hundred on a cable to put the icing on the cake, so to speak, I consider "worth it".

Currently I'm running, as a transportable rig, the AK100 (it was on sale at the Tokyo show for $400) to Pico Power to re-cabled Magnums. I DIY'ed my mini-to-mini using Mundorf wire. I need to try the C5 with them, as friends have been recommending it to me. If that is a good match, the rig using discounted or second-hand source, amp and headphones would come in under $1k (or ~$1200 a re-cable is included) and would be extremely hard to beat without spending a lot more IMO.

May 29, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #2,616 of 4,994
Quote:
Quote:
 them
Would a Magnum Grado be recommended for me, to complement my 2 headphones(in sig.)

I've owned both of the phones in your sig along side the Magnum. If I could only keep one of them, I would keep the Magnum. That said, they are all different enough to justify keeping them all for different genres/moods.

Sweet!

May 30, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #2,617 of 4,994
Quote:
To what they were connected to? (amp/dac/computer). To which music genres are you listening to?

Thanks

laptop>CEntrance Dacport>MF X-cans @ home, and Hisound Studio 3rd Anniv. for portable.

I mostly listen to Classic Rock, Acoustic, some Metal...

With Grados and Magnums for that matter, personally, if you want to experiment a bit with the sound you're getting, I rather start with different pads, eq, and whatever sources I have on hand. The cable shouldn't have a MAJOR impact on the sound, and I would not want to do any crazy mods that are irreversible. 

Like someone already mentioned, try plugging them in straight to your source, ipod, smart phone, etc.
...You never know!

May 30, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #2,619 of 4,994
Quote:
If somebody has asked this before, then I'm very sorry for bringing it up again... Within the Grado lineup, where would a V5-Wood Magnum fit in, in terms of overall performance? Since the original concept of the Magnum was an 325 upgrade, I'm pretty sure it would go further up than the Prestige series chain, but would you guys classify if over the RS2? Maybe even over the RS1?

The original Magnum is very different from the current offering. Originally they would modify an existing 325 largely by liberating the drivers and replacing the plastic housing with a custom metal housing so one has a "all or mostly" metal 325. As such, the end product is a modified 325 all built to Rhydon's specs. 

The current offering are just drivers. The final product is also dependent on the size and material of the cups, how the drivers are mounted or housed, cable used etc. Each headphone will sound a little different depending who made it and how it was finally put together. 

IMO the Magnum V5 drivers are of similar quality to the best sorted (closest matched) Grado SR/RS drivers but one's final product will depend on the total build.

May 30, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #2,621 of 4,994
That's an interesting question. My built is with turbulent vibro cups and canare cable. The result is much more detail and instrument separation compared with my stock SR225i. The bass is also better and more present in my opinion. Totally worth it, if you ask me. I wish I had the English, and the experience to give a better answer.
Again, the possible combinations are endless; cables, woods, aluminum, dampening, pads... You can even install the drivers in a stock SR60.
If I lived in the states I would gladly lend my headphones to somebody interested in make a comparison.

EDIT:
The idea of selling my magnums, and get a pair of ps500 has crossed my mind lately. Not because I don't like them, but because I'm a little intrigued by the same question.

May 30, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #2,625 of 4,994
I wouldn't think so. Mine are in wood cups from Martin as well.(though they are much lighter than my SR325is) These aren't bass-heavy in the best of circumstances. I would definitely try another amp, but that may not be the problem. It may just be the clean, detailed, flat signature is not ideal for what you listen to. Also, on your computer (if its windows) try going to the Control Panel, Sound, then click properties for your DAC/output device. See if you have a bass boost option on the Enhancements tab. I found a slight bump at 50hz was a nice touch for some music. I normal avoid all "enhancements", but this one is just a simply eq adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back