Grado modders go Magnum
Jun 12, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #2,674 of 4,994
Quote:
Ah, wait, are you talking about the Turbulent X drivers, or an updated version of the Magnum V4? I think we're referring (probably incorrectly) to this when we say V5: http://turbulentlabs.com/turbulent-x-headphone-driver/

I bought my drivers from Rhydon a bit before the V5 / X came into existence. Rhydon told me that I had gotten “an improvement over the v4”. And seeing Chris Langley calls the later/latest v4s “v4.5s”, I started saying that I have “v4.5 or v5”. I don't know exactly which one I got.

Wow then I guess it's all my old Grados that have little bass... if you guys all consider the Magnums to have little of it and me oodles (in relation to my other Grados).

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #2,676 of 4,994
Jun 14, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #2,677 of 4,994
I have a build that I bought here with the headband of the 7506

Jun 16, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #2,680 of 4,994
Quote:
Sorry to hijack, but I was wondering if anybody has had the chance to listen to a recently built magnums (specially turbulent X) and other headphones like hd 600, hd 650, or he-400.
I am really curious about those, and how they would compare.

I have the Magnum X, and I have directly compared it to the HD 650 and the HE-400. I decided to keep the Magnums and return the others.

Basically, I run tubes so I can tailor the sound balance some (more airy, bassy, clinical, intimate, etc) The way I have my Magnums set up is so that they are extremely intimate and energetic, with tactile, tight, articulate bass and lots of detail in the highs.

Compared to my Magnum setup, the HD-650 was like stepping back from the front front of a rock concert to chilling somewhere in the middle rows. Pretty relaxed sound, nice soundstage, but less detail than the Magnums. Good, but not my personal preference. I can comprehend someone preferring the HD-650 , but it's not for me.

The HE-400 was worse than the Magnums in a couple ways. For one, the HE-400 does not have nearly as much detail. Second, the balance was not to my liking. I think the mids may have been a bit recessed. One strong point for them, though, is that there is a nice satisfying amount of bass presence.

Overall, these headphones are all solid performers. Magnums are my favorite, though, by a fair margin. The only headphone I've heard that I could live with instead of my Magnums is the HD 800.

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #2,681 of 4,994
That's kind of what I wanted to read. I like the v5 magnums a lot, and I like them more everyday. I bet they sound great with tubes!
I am just curious about other popular headphones and there's no place I can audition them in Costa Rica. I am doubtful that the ones mentioned above would be a significant upgrade over the V5's, if they are an upgrade at all.
Others that have my attention are the PS500, and the LCD-2. Maybe next year...
Thanks a lot!

Edit: This is how they look now:

Jun 18, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #2,683 of 4,994
Very nice....any ideas on how the words "studio monitor" were removed? Was it as simple as nail polish remover or something similar?

Jun 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #2,684 of 4,994
So I finally go the L-cush for my Magnum v3.5 in Mahogany, and compared to the reversed 414 pad with sock mod, there are more details, the highs are clearer, the soundstage undoubtedly larger, but the bass has decreased greatly in quantity.  They are still there, but it's just so much less.

BTW, I am not a basshead by any means, I am fine with the amount of bass on the SR-80 modded with 4 hole punches, but the magnum v3.5 with L-cush has much less bass.

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #2,685 of 4,994
I share the same feeling about the bass (on V5 in my case). Playing with EQ makes the bass better but they sound wort like that.
Is punching few holes on the drivers will end with the same results as playing with EQ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back