Grado modders go Magnum
Jan 16, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #2,251 of 4,994
Quote:
If I could find a phone where I could pick out a jazz vs a precision bass then I'd know I had a spectacular phone but to be honest i don't even think it's possible for that level of bass detail. The only difference between the two is the thinner neck which isn't even hearable in real life although it plays different, and the different pickups which is hearable in real life, but even then one has to be paying close attention. To pick that up in any audio system is a near impossibility. I settle for just being able to pick out the bolt on fender from the neck thru rickenbacker which in real life are Very different sounding but still hard to pick up in audio playback.

I've always found the J bass more fun sounding and the P bass more accurate maybe, or less nuanced, I guess. This is from live stuff, not recordings. I do think the Firebird sounds pretty different from any Fender on my Magnums.

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #2,253 of 4,994
just blindly bought the X drivers from Turbulent for my 325is, where do you guys get them installed or can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to install them? Looks like Turbulent is out of wooden cups too, where are you guys getting the cups. The only other option I know was Martin Custom Audio.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #2,254 of 4,994
Quote:
just blindly bought the X drivers from Turbulent for my 325is, where do you guys get them installed or can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to install them? Looks like Turbulent is out of wooden cups too, where are you guys getting the cups. The only other option I know was Martin Custom Audio.

You can buy an aluminum (or wooden ) air charmber. Them install your X drivers onto the 325is

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #2,256 of 4,994
I got the flu and have gone back to university in a full time engineering program and have outstanding orders from over winter break. The cups will be available on a limited basis but I am not preselling them anymore. That's why they are listed as out of stock on Turbulent and my personal site, Vibro Labs.

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #2,257 of 4,994
Quote:
I got the flu and have gone back to university in a full time engineering program and have outstanding orders from over winter break. The cups will be available on a limited basis but I am not preselling them anymore. That's why they are listed as out of stock on Turbulent and my personal site, Vibro Labs.

Good to know, thanks

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #2,258 of 4,994
subbed... 
gs1000.gif

i had my eyes for grados for quite some time now, been thinking bout get a SR80i or MS1i sometimes in a month or two,
then i started to search randomly, until i found the http://turbulentlabs.com/symphones-turbulent-headphone-driver/  and then i searched for the review, which led me to this wonderful thread.

long story short, i'm someone who wants a Grado, but never tasted one before, i can say i'm an all rounder, but i do want grado because they are great with metal & rock..
and after a few read, it makes me think, should i buy grado SR80i/MS1i, OR should i built a grado instead with those symphones driver?
if it possible, can i find the headband and the gimbals elsewhere to complete the built? or should i go with the SR60i and upgrade to the symphones driver later sometimes?

what do you think guys?

*pardon my english*

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #2,259 of 4,994
Quote:
subbed... 
gs1000.gif

i had my eyes for grados for quite some time now, been thinking bout get a SR80i or MS1i sometimes in a month or two,
then i started to search randomly, until i found the http://turbulentlabs.com/symphones-turbulent-headphone-driver/  and then i searched for the review, which led me to this wonderful thread.

long story short, i'm someone who wants a Grado, but never tasted one before, i can say i'm an all rounder, but i do want grado because they are great with metal & rock..
and after a few read, it makes me think, should i buy grado SR80i/MS1i, OR should i built a grado instead with those symphones driver?
if it possible, can i find the headband and the gimbals elsewhere to complete the built? or should i go with the SR60i and upgrade to the symphones driver later sometimes?

what do you think guys?

*pardon my english*

This is a tough question. I love the Grado signature but also want to really build a pair of Magnums. If I was you I would grab a pair of SR80i's first and make sure you like the sound then you can always slowly build them into Magnums

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #2,260 of 4,994
Quote:
subbed... 
gs1000.gif

what do you think guys?

*pardon my english*

If you  like rock music, you'll love Grado.
I'd go first with the SR80i & start modding, wait a minute...I did! (waiting for the V5 drivers) :)

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #2,261 of 4,994
Quote:
This is a tough question. I love the Grado signature but also want to really build a pair of Magnums. If I was you I would grab a pair of SR80i's first and make sure you like the sound then you can always slowly build them into Magnums

yes sir it is tough, that's exactly why i humbly asks for as many opinions as you all can give 
evil_smiley.gif

it's like choosing between Belgian Chocolate, or Italian Chocolate. Both are chocolates, but offer different taste (pardon for my love of chocolates)

if i may ask, at what Grado/Alesandro levels are these Symphones X driver? are they on par with SR80i, MS1i, SR325i? *assuming same housing, cables, source, amps*
or it just didn't work that way in terms of assessing them?

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #2,262 of 4,994
Quote:
If you  like rock music, you'll love Grado.
I'd go first with the SR80i & start modding, wait a minute...I did! (waiting for the V5 drivers) :)

that's why i'm soooold, errr...more of a "booked" actually lol
if later you'd find the V5/X drivers are better compared to SR80i sound wise, would you still say the same to me? or you'd say "V5/X FTW!!!!!!" instead?

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #2,265 of 4,994
Quote:
yes sir it is tough, that's exactly why i humbly asks for as many opinions as you all can give 
evil_smiley.gif

it's like choosing between Belgian Chocolate, or Italian Chocolate. Both are chocolates, but offer different taste (pardon for my love of chocolates)

if i may ask, at what Grado/Alesandro levels are these Symphones X driver? are they on par with SR80i, MS1i, SR325i? *assuming same housing, cables, source, amps*
or it just didn't work that way in terms of assessing them?

They started as a MS2/325 upgrade, so if they were 'worse' than those you would feel a bit aggrieved. I've owned the MS Pro, RS1i, but I prefer the v4 to them.

In my opinion yes definitely.

OK, cool. Ordered :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back