Grado modders go Magnum
Jan 17, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #2,266 of 4,994
Would anyone mind sharing how long delivery took for theirs? Mine shipped out on the first of January, I live in Southern California, and they still aren't here...I know they are coming from Thailand, so I am not terribly worried, still...

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #2,267 of 4,994
Quote:

They started as a MS2/325 upgrade, so if they were 'worse' than those you would feel a bit aggrieved. I've owned the MS Pro, RS1i, but I prefer the v4 to them.

tempting......
anyone knows where i can get the headband? not just the leather, but the frame included....
if i can't find any, that means i have to start from SR80i

and please share your impression once yours arrived 
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #2,268 of 4,994
Hi guys, what is a price  for a gradon magum headphone mod with wood and removeable cable with leather pad & headband?
I quite like the Rs1 sound but I dont like the build quality of it.

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #2,269 of 4,994
Hi guys, what is a price  for a gradon magum headphone mod with wood and removeable cable with leather pad & headband?
I quite like the Rs1 sound but I dont like the build quality of it.

The drivers are $130 from Turbulent Labs, the rest depends on who does it and where you find the parts...a lot of the fun is sourcing those :)

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #2,274 of 4,994
for a $97 i think it'd be best for me to chose SR80i/MS1i 
redface.gif

does anyone why it's soooo confusing whether to choose SR80i or MS1i when you can't auditioned 'em?
Grado Magic...or Grado Curse

Looks like he raised the price $20 since the gold ones went out of stock. Still, The reason why its not a bad deal is that he does install a custom leather headband in place of the crappy vinyl one that comes with lower end grados. Also he installs the rod block screw locks which is pretty cool.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #2,275 of 4,994
Would anyone mind sharing how long delivery took for theirs? Mine shipped out on the first of January, I live in Southern California, and they still aren't here...I know they are coming from Thailand, so I am not terribly worried, still...

Hooray! They finally arrived :)...now to mail them off to Chris_Himself for cabling...

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #2,277 of 4,994
I finally received my V5 drivers this week and assembled them yesterday. Unfortunately, I have no way to A/B my V4 drivers to my V5 drivers, as the cable and cups I used with my V4 drivers are now with the V5. So comparisons are tricky, but this is the best I can do:

Upon first listen, I thought the V5's sounded very much like the V4's. And, I still think they do. So, as far as frequency response or tonality is concerned, I really don't notice much of a difference. To me, the lows and mids sound very similar between the V4's and the V5's. A/Bing might reveal what differences do exist, but from memory the lows and mids are similar. The highs even sound the same to me, except that the sibilance I experienced with my V4's is nonexistent with my V5's. This made me very happy.

So what do I notice that's different between the two drivers? Over the last two days of listening, I've become convinced that the V5's are quite a bit more detailed than the V4's. Heck, I thought the V4 drivers were really detailed (a step above Grados in detail retrieval), but Wow. I think the V5's are even more detailed than the V4's. And this makes sense, since Rhydon told me via email that one of the substantial improvements in the V5's would be greater extension to both frequency extremes. If the bass is further extended, it's subtle enough that I don't notice it. But I would agree that the highs sound more extended and detailed. Also, I think the V5's trump the V4's in separation. I don't know if it's a side-effect of increased detail, but I really feel the instrument separation of the V5's is just fantastic, and at times jaw-dropping.

Overall, without being able to A/B, I'd say the V5's are tonally similar to the V4's, but are more detailed with superior separation. A welcome improvement.

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #2,280 of 4,994
Your impressions match my own almost exacly. I noticed the improved bass more than you did but yes, the detail is amazing.

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrgh....mine should arrive at Chris_Himself's place on Tuesday if I am lucky...I really don't want to blow these out of proportion in my head before I hear them...I need to stop reading this thread...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back