Grado Fan Club!
Jul 24, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #61,726 of 65,854
Never thought they needed the extra power then? That’s good. Simpler the system layout the better for me. I am going to get a portable cd player just for this iem. With volume up/down buttons. I got some static with my volume wheel on my Panasonic with the gr10e. Certain headphones do that with it. No fault to the gr10.
The GR10e scale up with a better source, just like other high end Grados.

They still will sound good with what source you have, can upgrade the source down the road
if desired.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #61,727 of 65,854
The GR10e scale up with a better source, just like other high end Grados.

They still will sound good with what source you have, can upgrade the source down the road
if desired.
Cd players made in the late 90’s early 2000’s that you can disable anti-skip with from Panasonic and Sony are my go-to portable sources. They hold their own with current good sources. I imagine a little high-end amp from my line-outs would sound exquisite.

Jul 24, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #61,728 of 65,854
Never thought they needed the extra power then? That’s good. Simpler the system layout the better for me. I am going to get a portable cd player just for this iem. With volume up/down buttons. I got some static with my volume wheel on my Panasonic with the gr10e. Certain headphones do that with it. No fault to the gr10.
As said already they do not need power so your plans for now would be enjoyable. You could also use the portable on repeat to be your source if you were breaking in a piece of equipment.

I have a recommendation for the player. Look 👀 on eBay for a Sony Discman
Model D-EJ100
This model actually had been a Stereophile recommendation back in its day. eBay almost always have a few, usually priced around $30 or so. You may find one with the wired remote which might be handy for your application but probably not critical. I have several of these players on hand always. They were available in several different color combos. I have used these for years and never had an issue. Long play time on 2 x AA. Probably will not find one with a PS, I just have rechargeable batteries at the ready.

Let me know how you make out or if you have any questions.

J

Attachments

• IMG_8611.jpeg
    IMG_8611.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8610.jpeg
    IMG_8610.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #61,729 of 65,854
As said already they do not need power so your plans for now would be enjoyable. You could also use the portable on repeat to be your source if you were breaking in a piece of equipment.

I have a recommendation for the player. Look 👀 on eBay for a Sony Discman
Model D-EJ100
This model actually had been a Stereophile recommendation back in its day. eBay almost have a few, usually priced around $30 or so. You may find one with the wired remote which might be handy for your application but probably not critical. I have several of these players on hand always. They were available in several different color combos. I have used these for years and never had an issue. Long play time on 2 x AA. Probably will not find one with a PS, I just have rechargeable batteries at the ready.

Let me know how you make out or if you have any questions.

J
That’s the one I’m getting. The green one!

Jul 24, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #61,730 of 65,854
Does anyone else find that their L-Cush pads turn into dessicated black dust after a few years?
YES! I just replaced two pairs that turned to dust… one on my RS1e, bought in August, 2016, and the other on my GH-2. Oddly, some of my older L-cush pads are NOT crumbling!

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #61,731 of 65,854
YES! I just replaced two pairs that turned to dust… one on my RS1e, bought in August, 2016, and the other on my GH-2. Oddly, some of my older L-cush pads are NOT crumbling!
My L-Cush pads from my GH2's are still very alive and kicking since 2018. Makes sense since I assume pure evil is hard to kill. :grin:

Jul 24, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #61,732 of 65,854
I have a feeling that especially if you are using them and they are in open air as opposed to ones that are waiting to be needed are stored in a ziplock bag. I find my bagged stock does last longer.

Leave it long enough out of sealed bag and they will do as you described, getting crumbly and breaking down to eventually become like petroleum and get gummy and sticky. I check them all every six months or so to be safe.

Jul 25, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #61,734 of 65,854
I have a feeling that especially if you are using them and they are in open air as opposed to ones that are waiting to be needed are stored in a ziplock bag. I find my bagged stock does last longer.

Leave it long enough out of sealed bag and they will do as you described, getting crumbly and breaking down to eventually become like petroleum and get gummy and sticky. I check them all every six months or so to be safe.
I would guess that humidity is your enemy here. Changes is humidity level can degrade foam products rapidly.

If you live in Florida, move.

Generally good advice anyhows :wink:

Jul 25, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #61,735 of 65,854
My "NOT the last Grado headphone" has arrived and my collection is complete (for now).

Btw they do not seem that bright as I remembered (they are still the brightest Grado I have heard) but that midrange clarity/gentle refined bright sharpness and tons of emotion/details is something else :heart_eyes:

Grado nr. 7 is here
rs2x.JPG

rs2x_2.JPG

rs2x_3.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #61,736 of 65,854
I got my Genuine G pads today from grado and I must say there is a big difference between them and the ones I have bought from eBay/aliexpress/amazon.
I have now fitted them to my RSX-1 and they sound Wonderfull and are very comfortable.
I must have spent a small fortune trying to find the aftermarket pads but from now on I stick to the genuine article.
My grandad used to say "You have to be a rich man to shop at Woolworths,because you have to buy it twice"

Jul 25, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #61,737 of 65,854
I got my Genuine G pads today from grado and I must say there is a big difference between them and the ones I have bought from eBay/aliexpress/amazon.
I have now fitted them to my RSX-1 and they sound Wonderfull and are very comfortable.
I must have spent a small fortune trying to find the aftermarket pads but from now on I stick to the genuine article.
My grandad used to say "You have to be a rich man to shop at Woolworths,because you have to buy it twice"
The G cushions are pretty good. You might also want to try the ZMF Beyer+ Subs in perforated lambskin with the Grado adapter.

I really like them on my RS-1x.

Jul 25, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #61,738 of 65,854
Jul 25, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #61,740 of 65,854
My "NOT the last Grado headphone" has arrived and my collection is complete (for now).

Btw they do not seem that bright as I remembered (they are still the brightest Grado I have heard) but that midrange clarity/gentle refined bright sharpness and tons of emotion/details is something else :heart_eyes:

I have so much fun with my RS2x. Unpredictable is a unusual praise, but that's what a like about it. I always know what to expect from my 80 and 325x, but not for the RS2x. Sometimes it simply does magic, incomparable with anything else. Sometimes doesn't sound so good. And it changes a lot depending the source, amplification, dacs, etc. When I want to be surprised and real magic, I get the RS2x. When I want stability i get the 325x. Don't know if this make sense, but that's what I fell and love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back