Grado Fan Club!
Jul 14, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #3,708 of 65,714
Quote:

Oh man, me too.  I've always had a thing for the GS1000.  To me they are the best looking headphone out there and light to boot.  The talk of recessed mids has always scared me off though.

I reckon you'd be right mate - you've got the LCD2 and HD650 not to mention the AKG K701 which I think
 suffers from the same malady - if it does not work with a track or album, no stress just bung on one of
 the other cans - simple 
smile.gif

Like the PS1000 though when they work - they really work!!

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #3,709 of 65,714
Oh man, me too.  I've always had a thing for the GS1000.  To me they are the best looking headphone out there and light to boot.  The talk of recessed mids has always scared me off though.

See I've always been told they have pulled back mids and jacked highs, and this will show up on graphs (and here's why I think people say that, because they look at graphs, and never test the cans themselves) - but I remember the original GS-1000 sounding fairly balanced and engaging. I'm still enamored with my RS-1 though, and should probably not be looking at yet another woodie. :rolleyes:

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #3,710 of 65,714
Quote:
See I've always been told they have pulled back mids and jacked highs, and this will show up on graphs (and here's why I think people say that, because they look at graphs, and never test the cans themselves) - but I remember the original GS-1000 sounding fairly balanced and engaging. I'm still enamored with my RS-1 though, and should probably not be looking at yet another woodie.
rolleyes.gif

When I had them, they clearly had jacked up highs and, as such, the mids were recessed. If I wanted to turn up the volume to get a better feel for vocals or whatever, the highs would become overwhelming.

the sound can be engaging and there’s a nice soundstage, but the mids are recessed compared to pretty much every high end headphone I’ve used.

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #3,711 of 65,714
Quote:
 (and here's why I think people say that, because they look at graphs, and never test the cans themselves)

+1

To take it even a step further, although some people use the objective data as part of their evaluation and research, it's pretty clear that others will allow their knowledge of the data to act as a strong source of bias when they do actually listen to the phones. 

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #3,712 of 65,714
I have the non ''i' GS1000 and in my opinion,they do have a recessed midrange,but they also have a bigger soundstage than the newer GS1000i or even the PS1000 for that matte,i find that the new GS sounds much more like the PS1000 than the older version,that's the main reason i aven't sold them,they're great with big venues recordings.when you think about it,someone could buy the GS1000i AND the RS1i,for about the same price as the PS1000,hmmm!,food for tought.

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #3,713 of 65,714
I have the non ''i' GS1000 and in my opinion,they do have a recessed midrange,but they also have a bigger soundstage than the newer GS1000i or even the PS1000 for that matte,i find that the new GS sounds much more like the PS1000 than the older version,that's the main reason i aven't sold them,they're great with big venues recordings.when you think about it,someone could buy the GS1000i AND the RS1i,for about the same price as the PS1000,hmmm!,food for tought.

See that's where my impressions of the non-"i" seemed to point - that they're good for "big venue recordings" or similar "big sky" stuff and that makes me less happy about them. Because I don't listen to that kind of stuff. :xf_eek: Would be interesting to see how they fare against the F1 for staging though - I've yet to hear a can that can beat it at that (I haven't heard PFR-V1 (almost), or AKG K1000 (no chance), but have owned/heard most of the other "big soundstage" or "soundstage king" cans).

Thanks to you and lcfiner for responding about them with impressions; I'm not trying to stir up trouble, just curious. And I should qualify that "balanced" to me does not have to mean "ruler flat from 20 to 20" like a lot of people seem to insist all of the world should be. :)

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #3,714 of 65,714
Quote:
when you think about it,someone could buy the GS1000i AND the RS1i,for about the same price as the PS1000,hmmm!,food for tought.

Excellent Head-Fi thinking right there folks 
biggrin.gif
 Good day to you Sir Stacker45

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #3,715 of 65,714
Quote:

Excellent Head-Fi thinking right there folks 
biggrin.gif
 Good day to you Sir Stacker45

Same to you Gwarmi,too bad i didn't think of it before i bought my PS1000,oh well!,at least i love my PS1000 so it's not too bad.

Jul 15, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #3,716 of 65,714
Quote:

Same to you Gwarmi,too bad i didn't think of it before i bought my PS1000,oh well!,at least i love my PS1000 so it's not too bad.

Same here - I do think there is serious sense in splitting one's pennies - $695 for the RS1i and $999 US for the GS1000i - you more
 or less equal the PS1000's price tag exactly!

Still my pair of shiny things are going nowhere, I generally don't tend to sell off my stuff - heck even my M50 is still kicking
 about, could not tell you when I'll find the time or strength to bother listening to it - it remains a decent can nonetheless
 but I really cannot see myself buying another closed headphone for the time being.

Here's my album du jour - will attempt a bit of auditioning between the two flagships.

Jul 15, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #3,717 of 65,714
 A quick comparo' of those two bagel boys above ~ 

* PS1000 is the richer sounding unit, there is micro-detail and a certain mids presence lacking from the GS1000i.

* GS1000i though is a nice pleasant unit without the weight assuming you don't have a PS1000 by your side.

* Bass it has to be said could be an equal battle but I'd give the edge to the GS1000i - it has a nice, rich timbre about it. 
   The PS1000 by comparison can match it or just sound a little bloated or off.

* The GS1000i is the less fatiguing unit to my ears, it is a little detailed and analytical but by comparison keeps the ears
    refreshed for a longer period of time. If you're a long time listener - then consider the GS1000i. I'm a start/stop guy
    so the big metallic bad boy gets the nod here for my needs.

I reckon there is a good excuse to own both - the PS1000 gives you third row presentation *when it can* and
the GS1000i likes to plonk folks into the 8th or 10th row. Celebrate the difference.

Jul 16, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #3,719 of 65,714
Quote:
so the gs1000i has a more distant presentation and the ps1000 sounds a hair more detailed?

Comes down to your personal listening preferences Shimster

If you are a long time sitter and prefer a laid back presentation at the expense of ultra
 detail, weight on the head and potentially fatigue - then the GS1000i is a winner.

I have it on personal testimony from a certain friend who after trying a recent GS1000i
 swears 'black and blue' that the current production run is improved over his two year old unit.
 More detail, less shrill, more composed overall.

Make of that what you will 
smile.gif

Jul 17, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #3,720 of 65,714
I'm a new Grado fan. Been listening to some Black Crowes on my SR325is and it's just wonderful. I wonder how much a PS500 would improve that feeling... since I can't afford a PS1000 right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back