Grado Fan Club!
Jul 8, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #3,676 of 65,586
Hey guys, the project for the earpads have been scrapped due to Malaysia not having the technological advancements to produce such an earpad. I apologise for keeping your hopes up and i myself was extremely dissapointed when i found out that it could not be done. I tried for the last 3 weeks even having multiple phonecalls and discussions to try to produce the pad. Having exhausted all avenues. Here is the design for the pad (the crosssection) of what i had in mind. Hopefully someone with cnc experience with foam would be able to produce the pad oneday. =)

Cheers,

Jin

Jul 8, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #3,677 of 65,586
Jinteddy, I really respect your efforts in trying to get that accomplished...it's a bummer that things didn't turn out the way you'd hoped, but obviously that was outside of your control. In the meantime, I still plan to become a customer of yours in the near future....those headbands are beautiful :)

Jul 8, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #3,678 of 65,586
Quote:
Hey guys, the project for the earpads have been scrapped due to Malaysia not having the technological advancements to produce such an earpad. I apologise for keeping your hopes up and i myself was extremely dissapointed when i found out that it could not be done. I tried for the last 3 weeks even having multiple phonecalls and discussions to try to produce the pad. Having exhausted all avenues. Here is the design for the pad (the crosssection) of what i had in mind. Hopefully someone with cnc experience with foam would be able to produce the pad oneday. =)

Cheers,

Jin

Nice signature, it reminds me of that quote on Joseph Grado's website: "Perfection although never achieved, must always be the goal, for mediocrity exists only when things are "good enough"

Nice scooped reduced size bagel; you're giving away your creation D: ! It's very cool though; angled, check, ears not touching drivers, check.

Lol @ Malaysia, it can't make foam!

Just kidding, hehehe

Jul 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #3,679 of 65,586
Quote:

Nice signature, it reminds me of that quote on Joseph Grado's website: "Perfection although never achieved, must always be the goal, for mediocrity exists only when things are "good enough"

Nice scooped reduced size bagel; you're giving away your creation D: ! It's very cool though; angled, check, ears not touching drivers, check.

Lol @ Malaysia, it can't make foam!

Just kidding, hehehe

Lol. =) Malaysia actually manufactures the exact foam which is used by the grado bowl pads. However we do not have the technological advancements to cut it and meld it together with different densities ... technical talk i know ... =) i approached 3 manufactures and all said that the technology is only available as far as they know in china .. fuuuuuuuu lol =)

Jul 9, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #3,680 of 65,586
So I've been giving the RS-1 a lot of head-time recently; really liking how these sound! The bass is absolutely cavernous with some of my electro/techno (just finished Zombie Nation's Black Toys). It's also uncanny how well these can re-produce background chatter - like the intro to Michael Jackson's Black & White and Zombie Nation's Black Toys (Orange Mix) - stuff like "pub noise" just sounds so realistic. They're really doing something right. :)

Will try to get the 950/RS-1 comparison up soon-ish. I'm just loving listening to these though. Makes it hard to do a real A/B. :p

Some quick impressions against the MDR-F1 (no review for this):

The F1 are doing good to stay in the ring with them. Honestly the F1's are the most natural/musical dynamic can I've heard and the RS-1 just blows them away. The F1 sound so ethereal and smooth by comparison. Not exactly thin, just very very airy and light. Soundstaging is great on both; the F1 have a larger overall presentation, but the Grados are just as coherent all around. It's really quite spectacular.

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #3,681 of 65,586
Watching some late night/early morning reruns of the USA series "Covert Affairs" a couple nights ago, I noticed that the blind CIA character Auggie Anderson was using (or at least wearing around his neck) a some Grado RS cans.  In the season opening episode, which aired yesterday, I spotted him wearing them again.  The looked like RS1i's to me.

Jul 11, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #3,682 of 65,586
Watching some late night/early morning reruns of the USA series "Covert Affairs" a couple nights ago, I noticed that the blind CIA character Auggie Anderson was using (or at least wearing around his neck) a some Grado RS cans.  In the season opening episode, which aired yesterday, I spotted him wearing them again.  The looked like RS1i's to me.

Pretty sure it's RS-2, it's been mentioned before and they evidently name-drop the brand with some regularity. I'm not familiar with the show though, so I don't know for certain. :xf_eek:

See:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/grado-rs2-gets-scripted-tv-show-1
http://www.head-fi.org/t/482566/grados-spotted-on-usa-network

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #3,684 of 65,586
 Experienced a bit of a 'Focker Revelation' yesterday 
smile.gif

It sounds so obvious and yet all of us today are still chasing the CD or delving into the complexities of PC/Mac
 audio playback.

I managed to get my hands on such a simple setup that made me re-think just about everything.

Pro-Ject Carbon Turn-Table ---> Violectric PPAV600 Phono Amp --> Woo Audio WA2 --> PS1000

I am yet to hear any jazz recording that could match the ease and musicality that came off that rig above,
 sure this vinyl pressing was excellent - but we all have excellent digital recordings too. This to my ears
 was simplicity and musicality in one easy package.

Some have suggested that vinyl and high end headphones is a bad match due to the occasional pops and
 crackles - not in my experience with this relatively modest setup eg, the Pro-Ject Carbon is less than $500 inclusive
 of the cartridge and fixed RCA output cables.

In the grand scheme of things it made me look at my PS1000 in a new light:-

'Hang on a sec, John G probably never saw anything remotely digital CD, FLAC/WAV, iPod? (iiiick) when he
 designed these'

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it....for now 
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #3,685 of 65,586
Quote:
smile.gif

It sounds so obvious and yet all of us today are still chasing the CD or delving into the complexities of PC/Mac
 audio playback.

I managed to get my hands on such a simple setup that made me re-think just about everything.

Pro-Ject Carbon Turn-Table ---> Violectric PPAV600 Phono Amp --> Woo Audio WA2 --> PS1000

I am yet to hear any jazz recording that could match the ease and musicality that came off that rig above,
 sure this vinyl pressing was excellent - but we all have excellent digital recordings too. This to my ears

Some have suggested that vinyl and high end headphones is a bad match due to the occasional pops and
 crackles - not in my experience with this relatively modest setup eg, the Pro-Ject Carbon is less than $500 inclusive

'Hang on a sec, John G probably never saw anything remotely digital CD, FLAC/WAV, iPod? (iiiick) when he
 designed these'

biggrin.gif

I would love to hear that setup Gwarmi.  I'm guessing the PS1000 and vinyl would sound very dynamic together.  My main listening rig is with vinyl and headphones and I love every minute of it.

Jul 12, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #3,686 of 65,586
Quote:
smile.gif

audio playback.

designed these'

biggrin.gif

I'm so jealous of those who appreciate Jazz! I still remember the day when I heard some DeVore Fidelity Silverbacks (very nice high end speakers, around $12k) playing various vinyl Jazz recordings at a friends place....it was absolutely startling how real it sounded! I just seem to never really be able to fully immerse myself into Jazz music for some reason. I've tried learning more about various artists, about the influences behind a particular track or album, etc...I just can't find a natural interest in it :frowning2:  It's such a shame, because I have heard so many fantastic recordings in terms of quality. I often use Jazz recordings for demo use, though...I wish all music was recorded as well as that. 

Can't wait to hear those PS1ks!!!! 

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #3,687 of 65,586
I got myself a pair of SR80i's and they sound amazing! Since there the portable Grados, I took them out on a long walk on a hot summer day. I got a little sweaty, so the pads got a wet.  I know these phones are not sweat resistant, so I wiped off the sweat that was on the pads. I'm alittle OCD, and I know i'm taking this  to the extreme, but do you think my sweat could have degraded or damaged the sound on my cans. Like I was sweaty, but I was not completely drenched. Can you replace the pads if they get too dirty?  err I know I'm really OCD, but I just got them, and got sweaty outside. Some assuring words from somebody else can calm a worried soul lol 

p.s. 

can someone make a the dos and don'ts on how to keep my Grados amazing sound

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #3,688 of 65,586
Quote:
I got myself a pair of SR80i's and they sound amazing! Since there the portable Grados, I took them out on a long walk on a hot summer day. I got a little sweaty, so the pads got a wet.  I know these phones are not sweat resistant, so I wiped off the sweat that was on the pads. I'm alittle OCD, and I know i'm taking this  to the extreme, but do you think my sweat could have degraded or damaged the sound on my cans. Like I was sweaty, but I was not completely drenched. Can you replace the pads if they get too dirty?  err I know I'm really OCD, but I just got them, and got sweaty outside. Some assuring words from somebody else can calm a worried soul lol 

p.s. 

can someone make a the dos and don'ts on how to keep my Grados amazing sound

I wouldn't worry too much. Only if you fell into a puddle or something lol. Maybe let them sit a while to make sure they're dry before you listen again. The pads should be fine. Hand wash them if they smell (think baby shampoo.) If it's too much to worry about just leave 'em at home.

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #3,689 of 65,586
Jul 12, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #3,690 of 65,586
Quote:

What vinyl pressing/label/artist were you listening to that was so excellent, please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back