Grado Fan Club!
Mar 30, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #24,017 of 65,854
Mac mini -> Chord Hugo -> Pathos tube amp -> Grado PS500

vN5sJJo.jpg

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #24,018 of 65,854
  black 325 with hp1000 blackstar drivers and hpa-2. took me a while to get these treasures together, but seek and ye shall find.. 

grado bliss 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice set up!, aside from sounding very good, the HPA-1/2 are, in a way, two amps into one. Also, I wonder how many blackstar SR325 were made, I wouldn't be surprised if Grado actually made less of them, than HP1000.

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #24,019 of 65,854
Just scored a pair of barely used 325is' for a steal. My first Grado's!!! Haven't had a chance to listen to them much, but I like what I hear.

Are there any good replacement pad options out there? I'm not a fan of the stock ones.

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #24,021 of 65,854
I eventually took the plunge on Grado SR325e, just waiting for them to arrive.

I think for the time being I'll keep my SR125 too, make a better informed decision once the 325e arrive.

Mar 31, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #24,022 of 65,854
I'm just repeating myself I guess but I really recommend that people try out (and let sink in for a while) the GS1000E. It's just so nice on anything, Beatles, pop, rock, metal, classical, dance, electronic, whatever.
It just strikes a balance between alive and sweet, dynamic and flowing. It's a great complement to the planar sound if those are your main phones.

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #24,023 of 65,854
  I'm just repeating myself I guess but I really recommend that people try out (and let sink in for a while) the GS1000E. It's just so nice on anything, Beatles, pop, rock, metal, classical, dance, electronic, whatever.
It just strikes a balance between alive and sweet, dynamic and flowing. It's a great complement to the planar sound if those are your main phones.

+1

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #24,024 of 65,854

Double ditto! (i.e., +2)

I was listening to a new (for me) recording using my GS1000e (Gunther Schulller & New England Arts Ensemble, The Art Of Ragtime. This is a small brass ensemble (wht banjo), and it was remarkable to hear how real and unveiled each instrument was, and how precisely imaged their positions were in the performance space. I started with an iPod Touch 4 running my GS1000e (because it was an exploratory listen); then when I heard how great it was, I went to my portable C-MOY amp (the Bass Boost version from JDS Labs, in the Altoid tin). I simply wanted to play the great music louder than my iPod would allow, but the amp also improved the sound and its imaging. WONDERFUL!

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #24,025 of 65,854

Double ditto! (i.e., +2)

I was listening to a new (for me) recording using my GS1000e (Gunther Schulller & New England Arts Ensemble, The Art Of Ragtime. This is a small brass ensemble (wht banjo), and it was remarkable to hear how real and unveiled each instrument was, and how precisely imaged their positions were in the performance space. I started with an iPod Touch 4 running my GS1000e (because it was an exploratory listen); then when I heard how great it was, I went to my portable C-MOY amp (the Bass Boost version from JDS Labs, in the Altoid tin). I simply wanted to play the great music louder than my iPod would allow, but the amp also improved the sound and its imaging. WONDERFUL!

Enjoyed your post.  What recording is that?  Couldn't find it on amazon.

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #24,026 of 65,854
Mar 31, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #24,027 of 65,854
Thanks. For me, the Grado sound is just a little more nicely raw and direct than planars, or even good stats, and it's very refreshing in a way only Grado gets so right. Again, for me the G1000e is the pick of the litter, the Grado heritage in a box. (I even still keep my GS1000i, even though the e is an improvement, smoother and some nice trace of silk in vocals, but still a great phone that I cannot bring myself to part with.)

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #24,028 of 65,854

Enjoyed your post.  What recording is that?  Couldn't find it on amazon.

New England Ragtime Ensemble (I think I messed the name up).

Here on amazon.com for $9.75 on CD:  http://www.amazon.com/New-England-Ragtime-Ensemble-Art/dp/B000005VYY/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427848534&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=art+of+ragtime+gunther+shuller

Okee Doke.  I think the reason the sound is so good is because of the producer, Max Wilcox, who's been doing great recordings since the 60s.

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #24,029 of 65,854

Thanks. For me, the Grado sound is just a little more nicely raw and direct than planars, or even good stats, and it's very refreshing in a way only Grado gets so right. Again, for me the G1000e is the pick of the litter, the Grado heritage in a box. (I even still keep my GS1000i, even though the e is an improvement, smoother and some nice trace of silk in vocals, but still a great phone that I cannot bring myself to part with.)

I haven't tried the Gs1ke, but I believe you when you say that they are great cans! Still rocking my Gs1ki!

on another note, and the reason why I believe you when you say that the Gs1ke is an improvement over the older gen GS, is that I just got myself my first "e" series grado. Ladies and Gents, say hello to my little friend!
tongue.gif

Listen and enjoy the journey! ...I like that!

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #24,030 of 65,854
Very nice, worms.....congrats on those.

Lets us know what you think of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back