Grado Fan Club!
Dec 30, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #21,361 of 65,797
when i can be sure the weather will allow it (no freezing, no heavy rain) i do.
i used to take my RS-2 with me before this, but i sold that.

currently i'm using my portapro, and Grado in ears.

You like the Grado In-Ears?

When I'm exercising I use a tiny 2GB ipod shuffle with Sennheiser MX100 in-ears.

I use my 60i or my ZennJazzGrados outside my house, but I won't wear my heavy SR325iS outside. Those are strictly Home Hifi Cans, like the Stax.

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #21,362 of 65,797
You like the Grado In-Ears?

When I'm exercising I use a tiny 2GB ipod shuffle with Sennheiser MX100 in-ears.

I use my 60i or my ZennJazzGrados outside my house, but I won't wear my heavy SR325iS outside. Those are strictly Home Hifi Cans, like the Stax.

i use them with custom tips, and find them lacking in bass.

not quite sure if they were worth the money.

if they break, i'm going to try some other ones, probably Shure.

really envy people who have stax. in my mind they sound amazing.

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #21,363 of 65,797

i use them with custom tips, and find them lacking in bass.

not quite sure if they were worth the money.

if they break, i'm going to try some other ones, probably Shure.

I'm satisfied with my Sennheisers, mainly because I rarely use them in 'audiophile conditions', i.e. outside, on the bicycle, wind rushing past my ears, listening to AAC files from an ipod shuffle...
  really envy people who have stax. in my mind they sound amazing.

In your mind? If you haven't heard them, you can come over and listen to mine, bring your own CDs if you want.

I'm a bit on the fence about keeping the Stax. Their sound quality is awesome, but they're less flexible in use than my other headphones, so I don't have that much time to listen to them. I use them when I listen to CDs, but a lot of the time I listen to music on my iPad while I'm working, and I use my ZennJazzGrados for that. Who knows, if you like them and you make an offer I can't refuse...

beerchug.gif

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #21,364 of 65,797
  Nice read for me between the HP-1/PS1K, thanks for your comparison between them.
Although I've never heard  the HP-1 (and probably never will) from your description of it's sound signature, It sounds like my impressions of the Alessandro MS2i (which I owned) and would describe their sound signature very much, if not the same exact way you describe the HP-1. As you know, I've been trying different HP's recently comparing them to my PS's…I guess I'm trying to find something that may suite my tastes better, why, I don't know…because every time I try a different HP, the PS's suite me much better. I'm listening to them as I write this, and have been for the past 3hrs, and I feel I'm wasting my time, like a dog chasing his tail looking for something that better to suite my tastes, but I think tonight I'm finally realizing this may be the end game HP for me. I have one more HP (well maybe 2) that I would like to compare to the PS's, which are the LCD-2 and the X. I waiting for delivery of the LCD-2 Rev.2 right now, so I'll hear/compare how they are for me. As for my RS1i/WA6…they are my other flavor combo, which I have, and never will have any desire to compare with anything!
Glad too hear your enjoying both, you new PS1K's and the HP-1's, enjoy! 

Did you ever compare your PS1000s to Sennheiser HD 800s?  The HD 800s to me give the same analytical precision that I found in the HP1000s, but with a huge soundstage (and over-ear comfort) as advantages.

I hope you can find the Audezes, (LCD-2 and LCD-X...how about the LCD-3s?).  They have a strong bass as does the PS1000... I've listened to the LCD-2 at a couple of headphone meets, determined I wanted to get excited about them.  For some reason, I could not.  I think I would if I had them for a good long time, but both the HD800s and the Grado RS-1s excited me instantly at headphone meets (never heard any other Grados at a meet, except my own!).

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #21,365 of 65,797

Did you ever compare your PS1000s to Sennheiser HD 800s?  The HD 800s to me give the same analytical precision that I found in the HP1000s, but with a huge soundstage (and over-ear comfort) as advantages.

I hope you can find the Audezes, (LCD-2 and LCD-X...how about the LCD-3s?).  They have a strong bass as does the PS1000... I've listened to the LCD-2 at a couple of headphone meets, determined I wanted to get excited about them.  For some reason, I could not.  I think I would if I had them for a good long time, but both the HD800s and the Grado RS-1s excited me instantly at headphone meets (never heard any other Grados at a meet, except my own!).

Yes, I did compare the 800's/PS's and This was the 2nd time I tried the 800's and I don't care for them min at a all.
I also have a funny feeing I'm not going to like the LCD's as much as my Grado's either, but I need to hear them for myself.
TW, I wouldn't be looking fort a HP with a stronger bass presence than the PS's. I'll keep you posted on my thoughts of the LCD-2/X.

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #21,366 of 65,797
In your mind? If you haven't heard them, you can come over and listen to mine, bring your own CDs if you want.

I'm a bit on the fence about keeping the Stax. Their sound quality is awesome, but they're less flexible in use than my other headphones, so I don't have that much time to listen to them. I use them when I listen to CDs, but a lot of the time I listen to music on my iPad while I'm working, and I use my ZennJazzGrados for that. Who knows, if you like them and you make an offer I can't refuse...

:beerchug:  

Well, Mr. assassin,

If you can assure me there's only a price on the headphones and not on my head, i'd gladly accept your offer and come by!

I could bring any of the gear in my signature (with the exception of the sennheisers) for you to listen to as well!

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #21,367 of 65,797
Well, Mr. assassin,

If you can assure me there's only a price on the headphones and not on my head, i'd gladly accept your offer and come by!

I could bring any of the gear in my signature (with the exception of the sennheisers) for you to listen to as well!

No price on your head: Crime might pay, but writing about crime is infinitely safer.

I live in the Nieuwmarktbuurt in Amsterdam. By all means, bring your gear. It would be nice to compare. Have you listened to SennGrados?

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #21,368 of 65,797
Gentlemen,

I need a bit of advice, please. I am looking for Cans for heavy portable use (around the house, the balcony, hotel rooms, not working out), my HE560's are too hard to drive and the PSB M4U 1's are ok but uncomfortable for long sessions. Since the Grados are easy to drive, sonically excellent, and the soundstage is improved with the "e" series, would a pair of the 325e's serve that purpose? Any other recommendations?

I use an iFi iDSD Nano or an E17 as amps for portable use, a Lyr 2 or a speaker amp for desktop listening. Thanks in advance!

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #21,369 of 65,797
Gentlemen,

I need a bit of advice, please. I am looking for Cans for heavy portable use (around the house, the balcony, hotel rooms, not working out), my HE560's are too hard to drive and the PSB M4U 1's are ok but uncomfortable for long sessions. Since the Grados are easy to drive, sonically excellent, and the soundstage is improved with the "e" series, would a pair of the 325e's serve that purpose? Any other recommendations?

I use an iFi iDSD Nano or an E17 as amps for portable use, a Lyr 2 or a speaker amp for desktop listening. Thanks in advance!

I have the 325 and the 60. If you're wearing them while moving around the house, I suggest you consider the weight difference between the 225e (plastic cups) and the 325e (aluminium cups). The 325e are quite a bit heavier than the 225e. In fact, the metal cup Grados are heavier than both the plastic and the wooden cupped (Reference Series) Grados.

If you get the 225e you still have the balanced drivers and thick cable of the 325, but none of its weight. You'll get the L-cushions 'bowls', which hold the headphone better against your head than the S-cushion 'comfies'. They're the same size as the 60, so you can easily take them along to wherever you go. The 325 has a better headband (leather, instead of vinyl), but there are aftermarket leather headbands for sale that are better than the Grado leather band.

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #21,370 of 65,797
Well guys I finally listed the lyr, o2 and ODAC today... I'll do like Jay and help a brother out if you're a Grado fan.

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #21,371 of 65,797
Yes, I write suspense fiction. I have three novels out and three short stories. I intend to publish my fourth short story tomorrow and I'm working on a fourth novel in the Amsterdam Assassin Series to come out before the summer. You can find my blog in my sig, it also has links to where my books are available.

As to Grado, I recently bought an SR125e from a forum member. A friend will bring it to me in January. I'm thinking of buying cherry wooden cups similar to the ones I used for my ZennJazzGrado to woodify the SR125e. Wooden headphones are addictive...

Nice. Don't get too attached to the character, eh? :D

They available thru Kindle or iBooks?

I have the 325 and the 60. If you're wearing them while moving around the house, I suggest you consider the weight difference between the 225e (plastic cups) and the 325e (aluminium cups). The 325e are quite a bit heavier than the 225e. In fact, the metal cup Grados are heavier than both the plastic and the wooden cupped (Reference Series) Grados.

If you get the 225e you still have the balanced drivers and thick cable of the 325, but none of its weight. You'll get the L-cushions 'bowls', which hold the headphone better against your head than the S-cushion 'comfies'. They're the same size as the 60, so you can easily take them along to wherever you go. The 325 has a better headband (leather, instead of vinyl), but there are aftermarket leather headbands for sale that are better than the Grado leather band.

Hmmm...good advise re 225e being much lighter but with same features. And IIRC Tyll prefers it over any other Grados.

Gentlemen,

I know you're interested in "e" series, but RS1i is very light, comfortable and excellent sounding to me. Should be at least on your list IMHO.

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #21,373 of 65,797
Nice. Don't get too attached to the character, eh?
biggrin.gif

They available thru Kindle or iBooks?

Amazon, Kobo, iBooks, B&N, NookUK, Scribd... If you go to the homepage of my blog, you can find the retail links.

Quote:
Hmmm...good advise re 225e being much lighter but with same features. And IIRC Tyll prefers it over any other Grados.

I have a 125e coming in January, and I already have a 325, but if you don't have any grado, the 225e would be a good starting point. As light as the cheaper models, but with the features of the heavier 325.

Also, if you choose to put wooden cups on them, it's psychologically easier to place 'plastic grados' into wooden cups than 'metal grados'. One of the reasons you buy a metal grado is for the difference in sound, just like the reason for buying a wooden Reference series Grado.

gs1000.gif

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #21,374 of 65,797
I have a 125e coming in January, and I already have a 325, but if you don't have any grado, the 225e would be a good starting point. As light as the cheaper models, but with the features of the heavier 325.

Also, if you choose to put wooden cups on them, it's psychologically easier to place 'plastic grados' into wooden cups than 'metal grados'. One of the reasons you buy a metal grado is for the difference in sound, just like the reason for buying a wooden Reference series Grado.
 :gs1000smile:  

Cool, assassin. Good luck and more success with your novels.

A used SR225i might be a good idea...and prolly for venting...:)

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #21,375 of 65,797

:gs1000smile:  

OK, Grado Noob question, pardon me. Do you put the wooden Cups over the existing Cups, or do you replace the metal/plastic with new woodies? The later sounds like it would be quite difficult. How does adding wood impact the sonics? While I am still a Noob, what pads do you guys use with the 325/225, the ones it comes with, TTVJ's Flats, Sennies....? Thanks again for your advice, it is appreciated!

Happy New Year!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back