Grado Fan Club!
Oct 7, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #18,916 of 65,852
  Ha! Maybe cause I don't own the GS1k"e"
tongue.gif

Well put!  

Even the jump from the first gen grados to the "i" version, were "improved", but that didn't mean everybody prefered the "i" version.

I have not heard any of the "e" version Grados, but when I read about them, I get the feeling they've maybe captured the best of both the previous series, ie the older Grados are said to sound smoother, while the "i" series were more detailed.

This is speculation, of course, cause like I said, I have NOT heard any of the E series, and in all honesty, I don't plan to any time soon.

I myself have no desire/intention to hear the (e) series as of now either. I'm perfectly happy with the (i) series…but if the opportunity was in front of me, of course I would give a listen.

Just goes to show you....newer is not always better, and I hear this alot about Grado's.

+1

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #18,917 of 65,852
  Awhile back I had two Rs1 at the same time. One was an older Rs1 with buttons(no serial number) and the other was an early version Rs1i.
Comparing the two side by side, the Rs1i did seem to be "technically better" , but I still prefered the older version. I think the reason i ended up with two at the same time, was because I had the older version first and intended to "upgrade it" with the newer "i' version.
Man, I'm glad I waited to listen to both of them side by side with my own ears before axing the older version, because, well, it was the old version! To hell with the peer pressure I say!
biggrin.gif

RS1i "technically better" and older RS1 with buttons "preferable."  Well put!  I have both also right now, and while the RS1i is brighter (by intent... I bought the brightest of the multiple new pairs that the audio shop had) and you can hear it being faster, slightly better sound stage, etc., I find that the old RS1 (with buttons and a serial number, making it the "classic" RS1), has better bass, almost as much treble, and a smoother sound.

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #18,918 of 65,852
  Ha! Maybe cause I don't own the GS1k"e"
tongue.gif

Whoops... thought it was GS1000e.  Is it GS1000i?

In any event, how does it compare to the PS1000?  They have the same frequency response curves... do they sound the same?

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #18,919 of 65,852
I've been using both the PS1000e & GS1000e for a few weeks now.  I've been auditioning them with my portable set up.  They are both excellent headphones but for my portable uses I prefer the GS1000e over the PS1000e.  If I were looking at things from a desktop system perspective then I would want to hear the PS1000e with a better amp than what I'm currently using before passing judgment.  I think deep down that with the right amp/dac combo the PS1000e would handily eclipse the GS1000e in all area except for comfort. 

Here are some of my notes over the week of ownership.  I"m going to ship back my PS1000e soon.

Compared to the PS1000e….

GS1000e sound & feels…

More polite

Dryer sounding bass, more “pluck” less boom, PS has a little more extension vs GS 

Has airier sound

Greater micro detail

Instruments are in better focus, isolated within the sound stage-you can hear & pin point the individual instruments a little easier

The sound stage sounds more realistic to me (wide & deep & directly in front of you vs the PS where your inside the music)

Easier to listen to over a long period of time

Smoother highs, yet extended

Faster sounder (with most music/rock)

Very sweet sounding

More comfortable for walking, you can bend your head up & down, and side to side easily

Ear touches driver but due to lightweight it’s hardly noticeable

“fun” sounding yet accurate, the right balance

Slightly more dynamic depending on the music

Electric guitar had more edge, distortion

Vocals have a bit more "breath" & realism

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #18,920 of 65,852
I've been using both the PS1000e & Gs1000e for a few weeks now.  I've been auditioning them with my portable set up.  They are both excellent headphones but for my portable uses I prefer the GS1000e over the PS1000e.  If I were looking at things from a desktop system perspective then I would want to hear the PS1000e with a better amp than what I'm currently using before passing judgment.  I think deep down that with the right amp/dac combo the PS1000e would handily eclipse the GS1000e in all area except for comfort. 

Here are some of my notes over the week of ownership.  I"m going to ship back my PS1000e soon.
Compared to the PS1000e….

GS1000e sound & feels…

More polite

Dryer sounding bass, more “pluck” less boom, yet very extended

Has airier sound

Greater micro detail

Instruments are in better focus, isolated within the sound stage-you can hear & pin point the individual instruments a little easier

The sound stage sounds more realistic to me (wide & deep & directly in front of you vs the PS where your inside the music)

Easier to listen to over a long period of time

Smoother highs, yet extended

Faster sounder (with most music/rock)

Very sweet sounding

More comfortable for walking, you can bend your head up & down, and side to side easily

Ear touches driver but due to lightweight it’s hardly noticeable

“fun” sounding yet accurate, the right balance

Slightly more dynamic depending on the music

Electric guitar had more edge, distortion

Vocals have a bit more "breath" & realism

Nice comparison blownaway. I hope you get to try the PS1Ke's with a better amp/dac before you ship them back.

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #18,921 of 65,852
Nice comparison blownaway. I hope you get to try the PS1Ke's with a better amp/dac before you ship them back.

That ain't happening. I own the excellent RWAK120-S & Vortzuge Pure II amp amp/dac combo. I've heard it out performs many desktop setups, although I haven't made any direct comparisons yet. I think the only way I could get a significant sound improvement over what I have would be to spend another 3-5k which is out of the question (famous last words :)

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #18,922 of 65,852
Compared to the GS1000e the….

PS1000e sounds & feels….

Cleaner, in the highest frequencies (Eddie Van Halen for example)

Drum tones sounds more realistic (tom toms)

More balanced sound, more forward sounding mids (ripeness), not over or under done in any frequency

Soundstage feels like you are inside the music (vs facing the music)

Thicker “bigger” sound

Slower, relaxed

Equal or just slightly less dynamic

More forward sounding all frequencies

More transparent

More controlled bass

Not super comfortable, ears touch the drivers with more pressure due to weight

Walking with these requires that you always look ahead and not move your head around much.  If you look down your headband will move and you need to re-adjust.

Walks can be fatiguing over time with the extra 1 lb on you head (no kidding :)

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #18,924 of 65,852
In my not so professional opinion I agree with blownaway. The GS definetly have a personality of their own. It may be the wrong wording but what I LOVE about the PS is that they are what I would call neutral. By that I am trying to say they are like the best quality canvas you can get completely blank but ever ready to reveal the marvels of the pigments put on it. I have had the priveledge to hear the on some incredible equipment, but what does it for me more than anything is the quality of the processor chip in the DAC. At least to me that's where the quality shines best.

Oct 7, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #18,925 of 65,852

Confusing to me.  There's a DAC in the PS-1000?

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #18,926 of 65,852
the boys playing in my hometown, macon,  their home away from home, with an assist from susan tedeschi on volcals, kofi burbridge on keyboards, randall bramlett on sax

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #18,927 of 65,852
Like I said I express myself very poorly I am dyslexic. The PS1000 is the pure canvas and the DAC just one of the magnificent pigments on the perfect canvas. A pure analog quality recording on vinyl can be done justice also on the PS then add a McIntosh tube preamp and they will probably give you a Michael Angelo.

Oct 8, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #18,928 of 65,852

RS1i "technically better" and older RS1 with buttons "preferable."  Well put!  I have both also right now, and while the RS1i is brighter (by intent... I bought the brightest of the multiple new pairs that the audio shop had) and you can hear it being faster, slightly better sound stage, etc., I find that the old RS1 (with buttons and a serial number, making it the "classic" RS1), has better bass, almost as much treble, and a smoother sound.

+1!

Whoops... thought it was GS1000e.  Is it GS1000i?

In any event, how does it compare to the PS1000?  They have the same frequency response curves... do they sound the same?

OHHH Heeeell NO!

I haven't done any direct comparisons, or haven't really had a hell of a lot of time to listen yet, but as soon as I put on the Ps1000 it was apparent, the PS1000 is in another league than the GS1Ki! not just because of the different signature, but because it is just better in every way. It is much cleaner sounding (blacker background), very controlled sound. I'd say it has a NATURAL sound (to me!). Instruments have a great natural tone, very full sounding and doesn't sound thin anywhere. The sound stage is very much improved and precise, perfect width and depth, more of a 3D soundscape vs the GS1Ki and vs anything else for that matter. The bass is very impactful (like the Gs1k btw), but it is not in any way offensive. I perceive it more like it is in real life (hope that makes sense).

I paid just about twice as much for the PS1000 and it is worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY! I seriously have a newfound respect for Mr. John Grado, you Sir are a BAD MUTHA******! 

Oct 8, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #18,929 of 65,852
You know, I'd sooner forget, but I remember those nights
When life was just a bet on a race between the lights
You had your head on my shoulder, you had your hand in my hair
Now you act a little colder, like you don't seem to care
But believe in me, baby, and I'll take you away
From out of this darkness and into the day
From these rivers of headlights, these rivers of rain
From the anger that lives on the streets with these names
'Cause I've run every red light on memory lane
I've seen desperation explode into flames
And I don't want to see it again

From all of these signs saying, "sorry, but we're closed"
All the way 
Down the telegraph road

I can dream up schemes when I'm sitting in my seat
I don't see any flaws till I get to my feet...

Oct 8, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #18,930 of 65,852
+1!

OHHH Heeeell NO!

I haven't done any direct comparisons, or haven't really had a hell of a lot of time to listen yet, but as soon as I put on the Ps1000 it was apparent, the PS1000 is in another league than the GS1Ki! not just because of the different signature, but because it is just better in every way. It is much cleaner sounding (blacker background), very controlled sound. I'd say it has a NATURAL sound (to me!). Instruments have a great natural tone, very full sounding and doesn't sound thin anywhere. The sound stage is very much improved and precise, perfect width and depth, more of a 3D soundscape vs the GS1Ki and vs anything else for that matter. The bass is very impactful (like the Gs1k btw), but it is not in any way offensive. I perceive it more like it is in real life (hope that makes sense).

I paid just about twice as much for the PS1000 and it is worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY! I seriously have a newfound respect for Mr. John Grado, you Sir are a BAD MUTHA******! 
Totally agree with you about the PS1k's. They're definitely "the" flagship Grado hp's!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back