Grado e Series
Feb 8, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #6,106 of 6,729
  Just decided to pull the trigger on a new pair of RS2e to tide me over with the sale of my HD800 and TOTL amp that I had to sell.  Also got in on the second run of the Fostex TH-X00, but the expected delivery is May, and don't want to be without a decent headphone for that long.  

And secondly, I wanted a headphone that's "house portable" since my main rig is chained to my desktop.  I can always just hook this up to my smartphone if I want to listen casually elsewhere in the house, I figure.

Does anyone here use a Valhalla 2 with their Grados?  I got it for my HD800 which I no longer have, but the output impedance is reasonably low for an OTL amp, and the high efficiency shouldn't demand too much current from the amp.  Might warm them up nicely too.

I've been an HD800 guy for awhile now, having been through a few flagships, but this will be my first Grado since my 225i, so we'll see how it goes.

Yeah the Valhalla will work just fine with your Grado's.

Feb 8, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #6,107 of 6,729
  Its not a bad idea for people who don't know what they actually have, but even then this may not tell much.

This would have to be in a thread dedicated to Grados that actually have serial numbers. I think that it could be useful for people looking to buy a pair of high end Grado. Imagine that a Trooper on Head-Fi has RS1e number 4999, wich has the prot.... port...the drivers that stick out. Say that another Trooper has number 5000, and it has the new and improved flush drivers.

Now, imagine that you're looking to buy a pair of RS1e, and there's a pair for sale on Flea Bay, you'd simply ask the seller to give you the serial number. If he says it's 5001 well....need I say more, good Buddy?
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #6,108 of 6,729

This would have to be in a thread dedicated to Grados that actually have serial numbers. I think that it could be useful for people looking to buy a pair of high end Grado. Imagine that a Trooper on Head-Fi has RS1e number 4999, wich has the prot.... port...the drivers that stick out. Say that another Trooper has number 5000, and it has the new and improved flush drivers.

Now, imagine that you're looking to buy a pair of RS1e, and there's a pair for sale on Flea Bay, you'd simply ask the seller to give you the serial number. If he says it's 5001 well....need I say more, good Buddy?
wink.gif

Right, but that could be like finding a needle in a hay stack.
What are the chances the two people owning the last RS1e with protruding drivers and the first without posting… probably not good. Besides, everyone would have to post their serial #'s and other owners of the RS1e may not be H-F members. But it is a great idea so someone doesn't buy the RS1e with protruding drivers.
beerchug.gif

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #6,109 of 6,729

Right, but that could be like finding a needle in a hay stack.
What are the chances the two people owning the last RS1e with protruding drivers and the first without posting… probably not good. Besides, everyone would have to post their serial #'s and other owners of the RS1e may not be H-F members. But it is a great idea so someone doesn't buy the RS1e with protruding drivers.
beerchug.gif

Exactly!, I only wrote these numbers as an example. It could be that say, 4500 has the drivers that stick out, while another person has number 5000, and it has flush drivers. We'd at least know that 4500 and less is the old batch, and 5000 is the new one.

So now we know that it'll be from the first batch if the seller has 4495, and if he has 5012 well...you know.

Of course the more people post their informations, the more useful this thread would be. Let's face it, the e series is still in it's infant stage, so I think that it would be worth it to have a thread dedicated to enlighting us on Grado's changes. 

Don't they say that knowledge is power?
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #6,110 of 6,729

Exactly!, I only wrote these numbers as an example. It could be that say, 4500 has the drivers that stick out, while another person has number 5000, and it has flush drivers. We'd at least know that 4500 and less is the old batch, and 5000 is the new one.

So now we know that it'll be from the first batch if the seller has 4495, and if he has 5012 well...you know.

Of course the more people post their informations, the more useful this thread would be. Let's face it, the e series is still in it's infant stage, so I think that it would be worth it to have a thread dedicated to enlighting us on Grado's changes. 

Don't they say that knowledge is power?
wink.gif

The best thing for a RS1e buyer is to ask for photos of the drivers before purchasing.

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #6,112 of 6,729
The best thing for a RS1e buyer is to ask for photos of the drivers before purchasing.

Wonder if the change to a brown headband assures that a brown-headband RS1e also has the non-protruding drivers?

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #6,114 of 6,729
  Thats a good question.

This is what 4OurEars.net shows for the RS1e... beautiful brown headband.  Worth someone (else)'s $700 to buy it and look and find out (oh, and listen!).

4E-RS1e-1.jpg

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #6,115 of 6,729
  This is what 4OurEars.net shows for the RS1e... beautiful brown headband.  Worth someone (else)'s $700 to buy it and look and find out (oh, and listen!).

4E-RS1e-1.jpg

Seems you might be right, the black headbands may have the protruding drivers, and the tan may not?
Maybe some with one or the other colored headband can compare the driver placement.

Feb 17, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #6,116 of 6,729
Just got my RS2e today.  Although they're a step down from the HD800 I'm used to, I'm pleasantly surprised so far.  Definitely a step up from what I remember my old SR-225i being in bass extension and refinement.  Still pretty bright in the uppermost frequencies, but not as shouty in the upper mids as I would have thought.  Well balanced, but still with the expected Grado coloration.  Only downside, is they sound better to me, out of my macbook pro, than my Yggdrasil/Valhalla 2.  Perhaps the interaction with the OTL amp, but it sounds a little more dull and bloated out of it, than straight out of the laptop.  And strangely, it sounds really good with pop music, like Taylor Swift's Shake It Off (don't judge me 
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Feb 18, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #6,117 of 6,729
  Just got my RS2e today.  Although they're a step down from the HD800 I'm used to, I'm pleasantly surprised so far.  Definitely a step up from what I remember my old SR-225i being in bass extension and refinement.  Still pretty bright in the uppermost frequencies, but not as shouty in the upper mids as I would have thought.  Well balanced, but still with the expected Grado coloration.  Only downside, is they sound better to me, out of my macbook pro, than my Yggdrasil/Valhalla 2.  Perhaps the interaction with the OTL amp, but it sounds a little more dull and bloated out of it, than straight out of the laptop.  And strangely, it sounds really good with pop music, like Taylor Swift's Shake It Off (don't judge me 
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Thye should improve quite a bit over the first seventy hours or so. I hope you'll tell us what you think later please.

Feb 18, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #6,118 of 6,729
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Have you tried different tubes? Glad to hear you're enjoying your RS2e. Perhaps they're one of the most loved e-series on head-fi so far.

Feb 18, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #6,119 of 6,729
Just got my RS2e today.  Although they're a step down from the HD800 I'm used to, I'm pleasantly surprised so far.  Definitely a step up from what I remember my old SR-225i being in bass extension and refinement.  Still pretty bright in the uppermost frequencies, but not as shouty in the upper mids as I would have thought.  Well balanced, but still with the expected Grado coloration.  Only downside, is they sound better to me, out of my macbook pro, than my Yggdrasil/Valhalla 2.  Perhaps the interaction with the OTL amp, but it sounds a little more dull and bloated out of it, than straight out of the laptop.  And strangely, it sounds really good with pop music, like Taylor Swift's Shake It Off (don't judge me :) )

I agree with Greenbow, you really need some playtime breaking them in before you can really get the true handle on them. I found with the Grados I have (PS1000e, Vintage RS1, PS500e and GH1), 50 hours minimum before they started to show their stuff and at 100 + hours they had arrived. Your amp may also be part of the equation as most OTL designs don't do their best unless they see a reasonably high impedance. When plugged into my Woo WA3 OTL the Grados lose coherence and detail and sound significantly less good than with any of my other amps (check my Profile). Even the little and inexpensive Aune B1 does better with the Grados.

Enjoy the journey, the best is yet to come.

PS. Do you run your HD800 off the same amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back