Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone?
Dec 16, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #271 of 771

Awesome :)

Thanks.

I will look into it.
I didnt realise you can get these made to order more or less.
I can buy them retail over here from Noisy Motel so I assumed they were generic.

I will look into them further :)

Scott

Well, they are both. Ebay is full of generic cMoys, complete and kits. I'm sure most are very good but the extra you pay to JDS gets you a matched amp of the best quality. I actually just ordered a generic one off ebay for my brother for Christmas. Of course I'll give it a listen on my Grados just to see how it compares. It should still be apretty good amp, especially since it uses the Burr Brown 
Opamp2227, same as the JDS. The JDS has a socketed chip so you could opamp roll if you really wanted to. ​

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #272 of 771
I think the difference is the quality of the JDS PCB.
Others sell cMoys using his PCB so those can be as good or better (if they solder as well as John as implement even better caps etc)  but I don't think a DIY PCB can be as solid as the ones from JDS.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #274 of 771
these got me wondering if a vented cover would be fun mod.
something that snugs into the outer cups and can be vented until it sounds 'right'...

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #276 of 771
I have never had the Whiskey myself.
Closest you can buy here in retain stores is 10yo Single Malt.
Might have to try it.

That being said, I prefer Bourbon Whiskey (Russells Reserve for example).  
I have cheap taste :p

As far as Scotch Whiskey is concerned my favorite thus far is Chivas Royal Salute, but personal taste dictates I would still rather the $50 bottle of bourbon above.

And just got those crazy about keeping things on topic, these headphones are great.  I was considering selling them when they went up for sale on eBay for silly prices, but after listening to them I think I might have to get some G-Cush pads and a portable carry case to keep them safe and tuck the box away :)

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #277 of 771
  S45 is still shopping! 
eek.gif

What can I say, divorced, no kids, low rent, car's paid for, don't drink, don't smoke, and I don't have the latest I-phone, and anyway, as we say in french that goes ''le coffre fort ne suivra pas le corbillard'', wich means, ''the safe does not follow the hearse''. It sounds better when you say it in French, because it rimes.

I have to say, so far, I am impressed with the Bushmills. I used Rebecca Pidgeon's SACD version of Spanish Harlem to compare the different pads.

Although they sound very good with the comfies, they were my least favorite. I ended up preferring the L-cush. The flats will give you more bass, but it comes with a price, wich is a loss of definition in the lower part of the spectrum. The soundstage is also a bit narrower and the overall presentation is less airy.

I thought that with the L-cush, the overall tonal balance was right on the money, with a good size soundstage and a nice airy presentation.

Tomorrow I'll try the G-cush, but since I thought that the bass quality and quantity was very close to ideal with the L-cush, I'm affraid that the bass might sound a little weak with the G-cush, we'll see.

As I have said before, I think that $500 to $600 is the sweetspot where headphones in general, and Grado in particular, still give you a lot for your money, after that, the law of diminishing returns rears it's ugly head.

I know that it's still very early in the game for me, but so far, I can say that I prefer the Bushmills's sound signature over that of the PS500 and RS1i. I think that Grado may have hit one out of the park with the Bushills.

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #278 of 771

What can I say, divorced, no kids, low rent, car's paid for, don't drink, don't smoke, and I don't have the latest I-phone, and anyway, as we say in french that goes ''le coffre fort ne suivra pas le corbillard'', wich means, ''the safe does not follow the hearse''. It sounds better when you say it in French, because it rimes.

i'm divorced, no kids, no mortgage, no car payments, no credit card bills, great girlfriend, lots of cool gear, but had to sell my HPA-2 to buy kibbles for this little rescue beast!

think of her while you enjoy!
beerchug.gif

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #279 of 771
  I know that it's still very early in the game for me, but so far, I can say that I prefer the Bushmills's sound signature over that of the PS500 and RS1i. I think that Grado may have hit one out of the park with the Bushills.

That's really saying something. Even if Grado doesn't make more vented headphones it may be possible for those into modifying to come up with a way to vent/seal any Grados.

Dec 17, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #280 of 771

Tomorrow I'll try the G-cush, but since I thought that the bass quality and quantity was very close to ideal with the L-cush, I'm affraid that the bass might sound a little weak with the G-cush, we'll see.

I really don't think that will be the case. Of course it's personal preference but I much prefer the G's over the L's.

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #281 of 771
This cmoy works fantastic and was purchased off of e-bay for like $45

It was built and sold by BSG.....Bio Science Geek....great build quality and the battery life last forever!

You pick out the opamp, tin, knob ect. that you want on your cmoy.

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #284 of 771
So Parbaked, you're an animal lover, that's a very cute dog, by the way. They say that animal lovers are usually very nice people, and I tend to agree with that. I love animals too, and my pet's wellfare will always come before any piece of audio gear,  in fact 2 1/2 years ago,  my cat was diagnosed with diabetese, and when the Vet told me that it would cost around $700 a year to treat him, the thought of having him put down never crossed my mind. It just breaks my heart to know that some people have to resort to euthanasia because they just can't afford to treat their beloved pets. I still miss Oscar, but I still have his ''brother'' Charlot to keep me company.

Back on topic, I'm curious to know exactly how long it took for the Bushmills to get sold out. For obvious reasons, part of me wishes that Grado doesn't make more of them, but they're is another part of me that would like for everybody that want to hear how nice they sound, gets the chance to.

Tonight, I'll let the G-cush have a shot at the Bushmills,

Dec 17, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #285 of 771

Tonight, I'll let the G-cush have a shot at the Bushmills,

Please let us know what you hear i am debating the L or G cush's, I hope the G cush does not take away to much bass man i love these things a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back