Grado Bushmills X - Grado's first closed-back headphone?
Dec 16, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #256 of 771
  Almost any portable amp will drive your Grados well, so the "best" choice depends on what features (especially source) you require and your budget. 
The best way to get advise is to let us know which Grados you have and what your source is before anyone can help you pick an amp...

HI there,

Yeah I am aware pretty much anything will drive them :) Just after something with good synergy.
I have the bushmills x Grado's.
I will be using primarily a Note 3 and a Laptop.
Open to USB Dac/Amp combos preferably that will either function as an android dac or atleast have a 3.5mm input as an alternative to using the dac function, so I may use as a DAC with laptop still.
My budget is flexible, if I can get something affordable that does the job then awesome, if I can get slightly better from a HiFi M8, then I am going to opt for the cheaper option.

Things I was considering are
e18 (when its available here)
e12 (already had and sold one of these a while ago :frowning2:)

Open to suggetsions.

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #257 of 771
I will say again that the JDS Labs cMoy has great synergy with my Bushmills and 325's. Can't help with the DAC as I either used my iPhone4 or my desktop DAC. I don't think I ever used my new Galaxy phone with the cMoy.

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #258 of 771
  I will say again that the JDS Labs cMoy has great synergy with my Bushmills and 325's. Can't help with the DAC as I either used my iPhone4 or my desktop DAC. I don't think I ever used my new Galaxy phone with the cMoy.

Isn't the JDS Labs cMoy (or any cmoy for that matter) the same thing as the old Grado "hi-end" amplifier they sold for over 200$?

Dec 16, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #260 of 771
  Isn't the JDS Labs cMoy (or any cmoy for that matter) the same thing as the old Grado "hi-end" amplifier they sold for over 200$?

Not exactly but similar.
You must remember that the Grado amp cost includes retailer mark-up and the JDS is sold direct from the maker.
That alone makes the JDS 100% better value = if JDS sold to stores like Grado and you bought from the store the price would be double.
It is not a criticism of Grado but something direct from maker is always better "value".
Also that block of mahogany costs more than a Altoids tin!

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #261 of 771
Grado plus Woo.

It's the only way.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #263 of 771
  HI,

Thanks for the advice, are you using the one with 1 or 2 9v?

I'm just using the single 9v but I rarely even use the battery. I plug mine into the wall. Not sure if that affects the voltage or not. I know the duel 9v version has more voltage when on battery power. When you order from JDS, you tell him what headphones you are using and he'll make the amp to suit the phones. I don't think that the two 9v was recommended for Grados. I don't think it was NOT recommended as in don't use it...he just didn't say that it was the better choice.

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #264 of 771
Exactly, just tell John what cans you use and he'll set yours up for you.
He didn't upgrade mine to 2 x 9V but he adjusted the current to match Grados (low impedance).
He's first class...
JDS cMoy > SR60/80 must be the best value in audio!

Dec 16, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #266 of 771
Dec 16, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #267 of 771
  Exactly, just tell John what cans you use and he'll set yours up for you.
He didn't upgrade mine to 2 x 9V but he adjusted the current to match Grados (low impedance).
He's first class...
JDS cMoy > SR60/80 must be the best value in audio!

Awesome :)

Thanks.

I will look into it.
I didnt realise you can get these made to order more or less.
I can buy them retail over here from Noisy Motel so I assumed they were generic.

I will look into them further :)

Scott

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #268 of 771
I couldn't resist pulling out the Bushmill 21 year old single malt for a few hour listening session.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #269 of 771
  I couldn't resist pulling out the Bushmill 21 year old single malt for a few hour listening session.

Nice pic and looks delish!  (I'm a Powers man)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back