Grace m902 Initial Impressions
Jan 14, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #31 of 74
benchmark bundles a coaxial to rca plug and its much more portable than it looks. i have brought it from minneapolis to hk and back here without any problem. its very light too...
i highly doubt the DAC section of the grace m902 will outperform the benchmark when it comes to sheer transparency and dynamics.

Jan 14, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #33 of 74
Ed:

Having never heard a setup like Iron Dreamer's (DAC1 driving HD650s via balanced outs), I am curious as to your thoughts on how the m902 sounds in comparison (realizing you aren't using HD650s, this may be a difficult question for you to answer).

Jan 14, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #34 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewMexiCat
Ed:

Having never heard a setup like Iron Dreamer's (DAC1 driving HD650s via balanced outs), I am curious as to your thoughts on how the m902 sounds in comparison (realizing you aren't using HD650s, this may be a difficult question for you to answer).

Ed and I should be getting together next weekend to compare all our goodies. The only problem is that I have no unbalanced cable to use the HD650's with the 902. Perhaps I shall remedy this in the coming week.

Jan 14, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #35 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Ed and I should be getting together next weekend to compare all our goodies. The only problem is that I have no unbalanced cable to use the HD650's with the 902. Perhaps I shall remedy this in the coming week.

ID:

If you can't track one down, I'd be happy to send you my stock cable for the HD650 so you can make the comparison! I would really value you and Ed's opinion on this!

Jan 14, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #36 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewMexiCat
ID:

If you can't track one down, I'd be happy to send you my stock cable for the HD650 so you can make the comparison! I would really value you and Ed's opinion on this!

See, I am liking the RS1 so much thus far, I think the HD650 has a limited lifespan around here. I am thinking about trying the Zu cable to give the Senns a fighting last chance, but if I decide not to, then I'll let you know.

Jan 14, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #37 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer

I have assloads of canare starquad wire if you are running short. Let me know, and I can bring some to make an adapter cable.

-Ed

Jan 14, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #38 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I have assloads of canare starquad wire if you are running short. Let me know, and I can bring some to make an adapter cable.

-Ed

Darn, I must really be losing it to have forgotten that I could just make an adapter cable, DUH!
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #39 of 74
A couple of questions for Michael Grace:

1. Are all of the relevant digital inputs (RCA and AES) transformer isolated? I couldn't quite tell from the pictures which inputs went to the input transformers.

2. Instead of using the slotted screw, could you use a PEM bolt instead? That may save you assembly time and the possibility of scratching the front during assembly.

--Andre

Jan 15, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #40 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreYew
A couple of questions for Michael Grace:

1. Are all of the relevant digital inputs (RCA and AES) transformer isolated? I couldn't quite tell from the pictures which inputs went to the input transformers.

2. Instead of using the slotted screw, could you use a PEM bolt instead? That may save you assembly time and the possibility of scratching the front during assembly.

--Andre

Hi Andre,

The AES and spdf inputs are transformer isolated while the usb input is not.

I am guessing you are referring to a press in threaded stud in place of the slotted screw? That is a good idea. We could use internal nuts to secure things. The only thing I would worry about is that the process of pressing these studs into the panels would more than likely leave witness lines from the press in the brushed stainless steel. Anyway, thanks for the idea. I'll rattle it around.
Cheers,
Michael

Jan 15, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #41 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Why the two holes in the stainless steel bushing? Design element only? Not a good choice if the rotational orientation cannot be controlled.

Heheh, of course this is a good thing that I am critiquing little niggling things like this.

Another "downside" is that the m902 is more revealing, and I have to re-rip some of my music now. It reveals some very very minute clicks and pops I couldn't hear before. Curses!
biggrin.gif

-Ed

The two holes are for tightening the nut. We made a special "spanner" for this purpose. A generic snap ring plier can do the job in a pinch.

Sorry the m902 is revealing problems in your music. I can empathize as the 901 has revealed plenty of problems in my own recordings. Unfortunately I can't go back and "re-rip" the recording session!

Jan 15, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #42 of 74
The slotted screw on the front panel looks like an adjustment screw for the Bal output. Someone will try turning it.
Shims can be used on the inside of the TRS jack to align the nut holes.

Jan 15, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #43 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbgrace
The two holes are for tightening the nut. We made a special "spanner" for this purpose. A generic snap ring plier can do the job in a pinch.

Could I buy the special spanner or borrow one from you?
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Sorry the m902 is revealing problems in your music. I can empathize as the 901 has revealed plenty of problems in my own recordings. Unfortunately I can't go back and "re-rip" the recording session!

More revealing is always good. Not cheap, though.

-Ed

Jan 18, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #44 of 74
600smile.gif
It isn't the prettiest, but it sounds pretty good. I'm bummed, though, that when using the m902's DAC, my Denon 2900 sounds much better via its Coax digital out than my Powerbook does via USB or my Airport Express via toslink (with cheap Monster cable). All I wanted to do was go CD-less and now I want to buy a better transport...
confused.gif

Da*n you, Grace m902!
etysmile.gif

Jan 18, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #45 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_guy
I'm bummed, though, that when using the m902's DAC, my Denon 2900 sounds much better via its Coax digital out than my Powerbook does via USB or my Airport Express via toslink (with cheap Monster cable).

I haven't taken the time to research the transport sensitivity of the m902, but I'm wondering whether iTunes (Windows) through USB is putting out bit-perfect data or doing some processing on the files. When I run Applelossless files with 48kHz sampling, the 44.1kHz light on the Grace stays lit. This isn't the case with Foobar and 48kHz .wavs.

Incidentially, iRiver iHP-140 also only triggers the 44.1kHz light, even though the .wav's on it are 48kHz.

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back