Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Feb 27, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #1,186 of 2,153
Hi guys, what is the fastest way to switch between m9xx and computer speaker via motherboard audio line out?

can i actually use jriver to play music via U2 to m9xx while other sounds to speaker at the same time?
you can have 2 or more softwares that play music at the same time. Set one of their output devices to m9xx and other to mobo with direct sound wasapi asio or whatever you prefer.

Feb 27, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #1,187 of 2,153
I have my m9XX up for sale if anyone is interested. After some weeks of using it, I have to say that I am quite disappointed particularly with the amp section. The hype train with this is definitely strong.

EDIT: Actually, after some thought, I think I'll just keep it and use the m9XX when I'm at work.

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #1,188 of 2,153
  I have my m9XX up for sale if anyone is interested. After some weeks of using it, I have to say that I am quite disappointed particularly with the amp section. The hype train with this is definitely strong.

EDIT: Actually, after some thought, I think I'll just keep it and use the m9XX when I'm at work.

Are there any glaring errors that you notice? What headphones do you use out of it? I went from a cayin c5 to the m9xx and it was an ear opening experience.

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #1,189 of 2,153
  Are there any glaring errors that you notice? What headphones do you use out of it? I went from a cayin c5 to the m9xx and it was an ear opening experience.

No errors, but the amp in the m9XX is honestly just mediocre. I'm using a ZMF Omni and TH900. I did extensive testing and volume matched as best as I could, and after much time spent I feel that it is really just mediocre. Comparable to a Magni or O2 I think. In comparison, the Asgard is probably better, while the Polaris I have is on another tier compared to the Asgard and m9XX.

The m9XX isn't as dynamic and seems to have a more compressed soundstage compared to the Polaris, with the Polaris having a more open feeling. Bass is leaner and is not as full bodied or punchy. Things seem to sound cleaner on the Polaris.

There is no way that the amp in the m9XX is comparable to the Polaris (I forgot who, but I think someone here made the assumption without having heard the Polaris before). The amp in the m9XX is on a lower tier for sure.

It's still a good unit though. I liked the DAC, but the amp is just meh. I really expected more from it considering how some people here are hyping it up. I'm still 50-50 on selling it though, as I can transport it for use when I work which is a plus. 

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #1,190 of 2,153

No errors, but the amp in the m9XX is honestly just mediocre. I'm using a ZMF Omni and TH900. I did extensive testing and volume matched as best as I could, and after much time spent I feel that it is really just mediocre. Comparable to a Magni or O2 I think. In comparison, the Asgard is probably better, while the Polaris I have is on another tier compared to the Asgard and m9XX.

The m9XX isn't as dynamic and seems to have a more compressed soundstage compared to the Polaris, with the Polaris having a more open feeling. Bass is leaner and is not as full bodied or punchy.

There is no way that the amp in the m9XX is comparable to the Polaris (I forgot who, but I think someone here made the assumption without having heard the Polaris before). The amp in the m9XX is on a lower tier for sure.

It's still a good unit though. I liked the DAC, but the amp is just meh. I really expected more from it considering how some people here are hyping it up.

Sweet. I have my powered speakers going through the dac and they sound decently better. I would say they have become more clear sounding. Lost a bit of distortion too. I definitely notice the effect a good DAC has though, so I'm interested in the Polaris. In what ways does the polaris beat the m9xx?

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #1,191 of 2,153

The m9XX isn't as dynamic and seems to have a more compressed soundstage compared to the Polaris, with the Polaris having a more open feeling. Bass is leaner and is not as full bodied or punchy. Things seem to sound cleaner on the Polaris.

It's still a good unit though. I liked the DAC, but the amp is just meh. I really expected more from it considering how some people here are hyping it up. I'm still 50-50 on selling it though, as I can transport it for use when I work which is a plus. 

I'm actually quite glad you shared this!

I've had persons in this thread tell me otherwise, and I have since selling the m9XX been attempting to better understand. Straight to the point, I like HE1K and did not like HE1K on the m9XX. Persons have told me, well - then you don't like HE1K. To my ears, HE1K have been one of the easiest headphones to get right - provide enough current and they play!

I switched from m9XX to Asgard 2 w/ Bifrost 4490. The stack is not in the same class as Ragnarok w/ Yggdrasil, but it plays just fine on the HE1K. The spec sheet says m9XX equals Asgard 2 w/ Bifrost 4490. They have the same chip and the same specification for power into the HE1K. But my ears tell me quite a different story.

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #1,192 of 2,153
It was just a better amp to my ears all around, as it does quite a lot of things better. Most notably in the bass department, and also in dynamics and openness.

Quote:

I've had persons in this thread tell me otherwise, and I have since selling the m9XX been attempting to better understand. Straight to the point, I like HE1K and did not like HE1K on the m9XX. Persons have told me, well - then you don't like HE1K. To my ears, HE1K have been one of the easiest headphones to get right - provide enough current and they play!

I switched from m9XX to Asgard 2 w/ Bifrost 4490. The stack is not in the same class as Ragnarok w/ Yggdrasil, but it plays just fine on the HE1K. The spec sheet says m9XX equals Asgard 2 w/ Bifrost 4490. They have the same chip and the same specification for power into the HE1K. But my ears tell me quite a different story.

No problem, I was also trying to understand it better, which is why I took quite some time with the m9XX before sharing my thoughts. Unfortunately, there is no way to test the amp in the m9XX with my other DAC, but from using other amps with it I felt that my other amps performed better. I almost never use the amp in the m9XX when I'm at home, which makes me question whether it's worth $500 or not. 

I didn't know if it's just me or not, because everyone in this thread and on MD seems to not have this thought, but I'm at least glad that I'm not the only one.

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #1,193 of 2,153
Hey all,

quick question : I'm currently using a lowly Aune T1 dac/amp with after market Amperex Bugle Boy tube which sounded better (wider space, "airier", etc) compared to stock tube

Using Hifiman HE400s & Beyer DT770/80 at home/desktop, playing mostly streaming music and/or lossy files (oh, also for movies/gaming from PC).
Also using the Aune T1 to feed my active/powered multimedia speakers (Corsair SP2500)

Would there be a considerable leap in SQ if I upgraded from Aune T1 to M9XX ?

I dont have any chance to test / audition since I live in a small town in Indonesia, so even if I could get the M9XX here, it would be a blind buy.

Thanks in advance :)

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #1,194 of 2,153
I'm not sure if it will be a big 'leap' as the m9xx is my first experience of a mid-fi dac/amp. I suspect your biggest change will be in upgrading the transducer (headphones) if your amp can handle it.

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #1,195 of 2,153
For those recommending the Polaris to pair with the m9XX, how does it compare to the Gustard H10 driving either the HD800 or the T1? I heard a lot of good things about the H10 and it's currently on MD for $290.

Feb 29, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #1,196 of 2,153

different strokes I suppose.  I'm personally not a big Asgard fan.  In fact it and the Vali 1 are the only two products of theirs I've not really liked.  With the Asgard I felt like it didn't really open up transparency wise unless it was running at ear splitting levels.  At low volumes it felt very "chesty" sounding to me.  I always thought if you were willing to drop the money on an Asgard, just step up to a Lyr.  Just MHO, YMMV.  
  For those recommending the Polaris to pair with the m9XX, how does it compare to the Gustard H10 driving either the HD800 or the T1? I heard a lot of good things about the H10 and it's currently on MD for $290.

I've not had a chance to try the Polaris, but I can say that HD800 + H10 is a great pairing unless you want the treble rolled off.  I've been having to fight myself not to buy the H10 despite not really needing it at all.  That price is just too good.  IMHO it's a $700+ amp.  I honestly don't even know that you can really improve on it unless you want/need a balanced amp.  I sold mine to buy my old Lyr, and there were definitely times I missed the H10, even though I *loved* the Lyr.  (then of course I ended up selling the Lyr when I got rid of my large desktop rig and HD650 setup).  

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #1,197 of 2,153
different strokes I suppose.  I'm personally not a big Asgard fan.  In fact it and the Vali 1 are the only two products of theirs I've not really liked.  With the Asgard I felt like it didn't really open up transparency wise unless it was running at ear splitting levels.  At low volumes it felt very "chesty" sounding to me.  I always thought if you were willing to drop the money on an Asgard, just step up to a Lyr.  Just MHO, YMMV.

Ummm...no.

If we are to discuss, there are two separate points. Regarding the transparency and openness, I would agree with you. I am still interested in trying at least one more portable-ish solid state amplifier to try to achieve this. Not really my personal "must have it" though because I do have better amplifiers. It is more a personal interest, a self-education to achieve a better understanding of what contributes to TOTL sound. So on transparency, the m9XX for me had this in spades! Clean and open - no question.

However, if we are discussing balance, an equal amount of energy applied to all points on the frequency spectrum, yes - absolutely! This is where I felt the m9XX failed the sonics of the HE1K. And the Asgard 2 ticks the checkbox.

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #1,198 of 2,153
  However, if we are discussing balance, an equal amount of energy applied to all points on the frequency spectrum, yes - absolutely! This is where I felt the m9XX failed the sonics of the HE1K. And the Asgard 2 ticks the checkbox.

but this is measurable, and the m9XX measures as neutral (as does Asgard).  Also, to the extent this might be an issue, I really have no problem just using EQ.  I've seen a lot of "m9XX isn't neutral" talk but I've never seen people agree with how it's not neutral.  I've seen "it's too bright" "it's got too much bass bloom" and "it's too midrangey"  Which, it can't be all 3 simultaneously.  

Now, again, I wouldn't say that Asgard is inferior at all, but I didn't particularly like mine, personally.  Granted, for me, transparency is absolute king, so that may have some to do with it.  

Just considering the amp, I'd say that the m9XX is in my top 5 or so.  I definitely liked the Lyr and H10 better.  In the short amount of time I spent with the Liquid Carbon, I liked it better.  I thought the m9XX and Mojo were neck and neck.  

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #1,199 of 2,153

but this is measurable, and the m9XX measures as neutral (as does Asgard).  Also, to the extent this might be an issue, I really have no problem just using EQ.  I've seen a lot of "m9XX isn't neutral" talk but I've never seen people agree with how it's not neutral.  I've seen "it's too bright" "it's got too much bass bloom" and "it's too midrangey"  Which, it can't be all 3 simultaneously.  

Now, again, I wouldn't say that Asgard is inferior at all, but I didn't particularly like mine, personally.  Granted, for me, transparency is absolute king, so that may have some to do with it.  

Just considering the amp, I'd say that the m9XX is in my top 5 or so.  I definitely liked the Lyr and H10 better.  In the short amount of time I spent with the Liquid Carbon, I liked it better.  I thought the m9XX and Mojo were neck and neck.  

I used the mojo and then got a M9XX. To me, the difference in sound quality isnt that much, but I find the usability of the M9XX much better. More options to customize on the fly without having to go into my computer settings. I like that more because I am changing only things at the final stage of conversion and not at a stage where I do not know how it affects the quality of sound / signal to my DAC/AMP. 

I personally have found the m9xx to be a little more aggressive sounding than the mojo at a similar volume. I prefer this as I listen at relatively low volume while I work and it only took me 5 minutes with the M9XX to realize I was definitely selling my Mojo.

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #1,200 of 2,153
  I used the mojo and then got a M9XX. To me, the difference in sound quality isnt that much, but I find the usability of the M9XX much better. More options to customize on the fly without having to go into my computer settings. I like that more because I am changing only things at the final stage of conversion and not at a stage where I do not know how it affects the quality of sound / signal to my DAC/AMP. 

I personally have found the m9xx to be a little more aggressive sounding than the mojo at a similar volume. I prefer this as I listen at relatively low volume while I work and it only took me 5 minutes with the M9XX to realize I was definitely selling my Mojo.

yeah, I ***think*** the "aggression" comes from the DAC stage and the Mojo's more smoothed impulse response reconstruction algorithm.  And I fully agree with your analysis.  I loved the Mojo, but it just wasn't a good form factor for me personally.  Sound quality wise, they were so close to me, that really it ended up being that I liked the volume control better on the m9XX.  I do miss the Mojo sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back