Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Mar 10, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #1,216 of 2,153
I'm starting to think more and more that the amp in the m9XX isn't adequate for anything higher than 300 ohms. It was fine with the HD700 and HD800, but when I use the T1 it sounded like it needs more power even at 75 volume. Even compared to my Asus STX II sound card, which uses a more inferior DAC, the m9XX when using the T1 feels less engaging and feels more lifeless. The HD800 definitely sounded better on the m9XX than then STX II, but likely due to it being 300 ohms. I can't pinpoint the exact difference of the STX II and m9XX, but the the magic with STX II and T1 was lost when I moved to the m9XX, it sounds less liquid, the bass isn't as impactful, and the highs are not as exciting. It feels as though more controlled and there is more of a cutoff at the highest trebles and lowest of bass. Hard to explain but kind of disappointing.

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #1,217 of 2,153
  I'm starting to think more and more that the amp in the m9XX isn't adequate for anything higher than 300 ohms. It was fine with the HD700 and HD800, but when I use the T1 it sounded like it needs more power even at 75 volume. Even compared to my Asus STX II sound card, which uses a more inferior DAC, the m9XX when using the T1 feels less engaging and feels more lifeless. The HD800 definitely sounded better on the m9XX than then STX II, but likely due to it being 300 ohms. I can't pinpoint the exact difference of the STX II and m9XX, but the the magic with STX II and T1 was lost when I moved to the m9XX, it sounds less liquid, the bass isn't as impactful, and the highs are not as exciting. It feels as though more controlled and there is more of a cutoff at the highest trebles and lowest of bass. Hard to explain but kind of disappointing.

That's probably fair.  It definitely wouldn't be my go-to amp for 300 ohm + cans.  

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #1,219 of 2,153
  Is there a noticeable difference between USB 1 and USB 2? Mine just straight up doesn't work in USB 2 mode for some reason.

I think you need USB2 to play sample rate > 96kHz

USB1 = driverless / PnP for sampe rate up to 96kHz

USB2 = need to install driver (windows) for sample rate >96kHz

From the owner's manual:

"The m9XX can operate as a USB Audio Class 1 or Audio Class 2 device. In USB 1 mode the m9XX supports driverless operation on Mac OS and Windows at sample rates up to 96kHz.
In Audio Class 2 mode the m9XX supports driverless operation on Mac OS at sample rates up to 384kHz.
On Windows, Audio Class 2 operation requires downloading and installing a free driver, which can be found on our website – http://www.gracedesign.com/support/support.htm.

Driverless operation on Mac OS basically means ‘plug and play’. The m9XX will automatically show up in your computer’s list of supported audio devices as ‘m9XX’.
In most cases, simply choose that as your audio playback device.

Different operating systems and audio players will pose their own set of configurations in setting up the m9XX as the audio playback device.
We will direct you to a very well written and comprehensive document by our friend and colleague Charles Hansen from Ayre Acoustics. http://www.ayre.com/usb.htm.
This is an invaluable resource for computer/USB audio setup information for most current operating systems, and we strongly urge you to familiarize yourself with the information pertaining to your specific OS."

Have you installed the driver for USB2 play ? *assuming you're using windows"

Mar 11, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #1,220 of 2,153

That's probably fair.  It definitely wouldn't be my go-to amp for 300 ohm + cans.  

Just ordered the Lyr 2 from amazon, can anyone share any input on this pairing with the m9XX and the T1 or the HD800? Figured I can always return it if it's bad. I was thinking of getting the Gustard H10 when it was on massdrop for $290, but I missed that deal. Polaris's tube like sound kind of drives me away since I want a uncolored neutral sound that extends the highs and bass as they should be. The liquid carbon looks way too expensive, and I don't plan on using balanced cable anyway. So that leaves me with a few other options and I've had good experiences with Schiit in the past.

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #1,221 of 2,153

Just ordered the Lyr 2 from amazon, can anyone share any input on this pairing with the m9XX and the T1 or the HD800? Figured I can always return it if it's bad. I was thinking of getting the Gustard H10 when it was on massdrop for $290, but I missed that deal. Polaris's tube like sound kind of drives me away since I want a uncolored neutral sound that extends the highs and bass as they should be. The liquid carbon looks way too expensive, and I don't plan on using balanced cable anyway. So that leaves me with a few other options and I've had good experiences with Schiit in the past.

Polaris isn't really tube-like, and the Lyr is bright with LISST

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #1,222 of 2,153

Polaris isn't really tube-like, and the Lyr is bright with LISST

Which headphone do you use the m9XX/Polaris with? Do you recommend the Polaris over the Lyr 2?

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #1,223 of 2,153

Which headphone do you use the m9XX/Polaris with? Do you recommend the Polaris over the Lyr 2?

I don't have the m9XX anymore, but I pair the Polaris with the ZMF Omni, TH900 and TH-X00. I can't comment on the Lyr 2 since I don't own it, but only heard it once at a meet. I know for a fact that Lyr2 with LISST will be bright, and you can search here for more impressions but most agree that Schiit amps tend to lean toward the bright side except for the Asgard 2. At least you can alter the sound with tubes to make it less bright, or possibly even brighter if that's what you prefer.

Mar 12, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #1,224 of 2,153

I don't have the m9XX anymore, but I pair the Polaris with the ZMF Omni, TH900 and TH-X00. I can't comment on the Lyr 2 since I don't own it, but only heard it once at a meet. I know for a fact that Lyr2 with LISST will be bright, and you can search here for more impressions but most agree that Schiit amps tend to lean toward the bright side except for the Asgard 2. At least you can alter the sound with tubes to make it less bright, or possibly even brighter if that's what you prefer.

I had to make sure that the m9XX was lacking in power using a 600 ohm headphone like T1, so I bought something that was easily returnable to amazon. I just received the Lyr 2 today (with the stock 6BZ7 tubes, not the LISST) and confirmed it in a big way. There was a HUGE difference (to my ears) between the T1 directly going through the m9XX, directly through my STX II, and the m9XX using the Lyr 2. STX II was providing enough power, but it lacked in clarity the m9XX provided. The m9XX was providing clarity, but lacked the power. Once I connected the Lyr 2 to the m9XX, I heard the T1 in an completely new light. It's as though all that I had that was restraining the T1 was now unleashed, and that now I'm finally hearing it in its full potential. Needless to say, EDM has never sounded as good. Also, for the first time, I can finally distinguish clearly the sonic differences between the roles of DAC and amps and how you need to have both in synergy to achieve good sound. I don't have the HD800 anymore, but I'm concerned now that even the HD800 may not have enough power through the m9XX. I was really hoping to have the m9XX be the only thing I needed since it fit the role I was looking for perfectly (quality DAC and amp, small footprint, that amazing volume pot, beautiful looks).

By the way, the Lyr 2 is absolutely not bright (is it supposed to be even with the stock tubes?). I've never heard the Polaris or the Asgard or my other amp considerations like the H10 but I'm absolutely loving the m9XX --> Lyr 2 --> T1 pairing right now. I know for a fact that the Lyr 2 is way too big for my desk and looks butt ugly, but I bought it just for the simple exercise of testing whether the m9XX is lacking in power in driving my T1. Is there another amp along the same lines of the Lyr 2, but with MUCH smaller footprint along the lines of the m9XX which I can put underneath the m9XX?

Mar 12, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #1,225 of 2,153
Even something as inexpensive as the Valhalla 2 really makes the T1 come alive. m9XX + Valhalla 2 is a great combo for 600Ω cans. It's no EC Balancing Act, which is the high-resistance headphone king, but it's quite an impressive value.

Mar 13, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #1,226 of 2,153
Even something as inexpensive as the Valhalla 2 really makes the T1 come alive. m9XX + Valhalla 2 is a great combo for 600Ω cans. It's no EC Balancing Act, which is the high-resistance headphone king, but it's quite an impressive value.

Valhalla 2 is more tube like than the Lyr 2 right? Even the Lyr 2 sound a bit tubey for me, so I'm not sure if I would like more tubey sounds, since I need the transient nature of solid states for my EDM's.

On a side note, do I even NEED an amp with the HD800 (I'll eventually change my T1 to the HD800 I think)? If I'm going to have to add an additional amp anyway, I feel like the my m9XX is being wasted as a DAC/amp combo. I might as well get a used Bifrost Multibit.

Mar 13, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #1,227 of 2,153
Valhalla 2 is more tube like than the Lyr 2 right? Even the Lyr 2 sound a bit tubey for me, so I'm not sure if I would like more tubey sounds, since I need the transient nature of solid states for my EDM's.

On a side note, do I even NEED an amp with the HD800 (I'll eventually change my T1 to the HD800 I think)? If I'm going to have to add an additional amp anyway, I feel like the my m9XX is being wasted as a DAC/amp combo. I might as well get a used Bifrost Multibit.
i think the lyr2 is more tube like than valhalla2 in sound. Not that i ever heard the lyr. But in the end i think it really depend on the tubes. On valhalla2 stock i find the texture of the sound too soft and bloomy. After switching to genalex gold lions tubes its more agressive and can do rock pretty well. To my ears gold lions sound better than orange globes 1968. Thats for the both the senns hd600 and hd650 though. For different headphones it might be a different story. But from schiits website it saids that valhalla is a accurate sounding tube. And others have described the lyr to warm sounding and have more dynamics and slam. Never heard the lyr. So this is just based around what i found when i was chosing between valhalla2 and lyr2. You may want the lyr2 instead of valhalla2 though. Since it can practically run more headphones than the valhalla2. And with lisst caps lyr2 can also be a solid state.

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #1,228 of 2,153
Valhalla 2 is more tube like than the Lyr 2 right? Even the Lyr 2 sound a bit tubey for me, so I'm not sure if I would like more tubey sounds, since I need the transient nature of solid states for my EDMI feel like the my m9XX is being wasted as a DAC/amp combol eventually change my T1 to the HD800 I think)? If I'm going to have to add an additional amp anyway, I feel like the my m9XX is being wasted as a DAC/amp combo. I might as well get a used Bifrost Multibit.

Exactly the reason why I sold mine. It's decent at best at $500, and only really worth it if you're making use of its transportability.

Mar 13, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #1,229 of 2,153
To answer my own question whether the m9XX amp is sufficient to power the HD800, I just rage bought the HD800 again from amazon, along with the Bifrost multibit to test out how much better the multibit actually is. Perhaps I should have just gotten the 4490 version just to test the theory if the m9XX is on par with that. I hope amazon isn't going to ban my account for returning all these in a month :D But then again I don't think they will, since I spent more than $35k since opening the account LOL. Hail to amazon's return policy!

Mar 14, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #1,230 of 2,153

Lyr2 was awesome with HD800s when I had the HD800 on loan.  I EQd down the highs, but that was because I EQ down the upper treble on most every setup with the HD800s.  I've said it many times, but for my money the Lyr2 is the most versatile amp in the game right now.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back