Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Mar 1, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #1,201 of 2,153

yeah, I ***think*** the "aggression" comes from the DAC stage and the Mojo's more smoothed impulse response reconstruction algorithm.  And I fully agree with your analysis.  I loved the Mojo, but it just wasn't a good form factor for me personally.  Sound quality wise, they were so close to me, that really it ended up being that I liked the volume control better on the m9XX.  I do miss the Mojo sometimes.

I would love to keep all great equipment but thats not very fiscally responsible of me to do. I know if I kept the Mojo, it would just sit a lot since I listen at home or at work and even my RWAK120ii doesnt get much play as I do not need a DAP ATM. But I know I will want that when I travel and the Mojo would still not be used. Much better to get my money back if I can while the aftermarket values are still high.

I like your way of saying ***think***. Its definitely a subjective thing and we all need to remember we are using different PC's or toslink sources that may slightly alter the sound depending on settings, let alone the settings one keeps on the M9xx itself. I use filter 2, no crossfeed for the most part, USB 2.0 and recently havent been even plugging in my separate USB cord for power since I just got a LH Labs Lightspeed 1G Micro-USB. Middle of this month I will also have the Light Harmonic Revive so the signal will potentially be even cleaner and the power cleaner as well than from my tiny Flex 3 laptop. 

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #1,202 of 2,153

Just considering the amp, I'd say that the m9XX is in my top 5 or so.  I definitely liked the Lyr and H10 better.  In the short amount of time I spent with the Liquid Carbon, I liked it better.  I thought the m9XX and Mojo were neck and neck.  

How about comparing the H10 vs the Liquid carbon for the HD800?

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #1,203 of 2,153

Could be interesting but since this is the M9xx thread, you would have to add the M9xx in there somewhere to make it not completely off topic...
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #1,204 of 2,153

Could be interesting but since this is the M9xx thread, you would have to add the M9xx in there somewhere to make it not completely off topic...
wink.gif

I'm asking because I have a m9XX and was debating whether to get an amp on top of it to drive my headphones better.

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #1,205 of 2,153

I never listened to them head to head, so I strongly hesitate to say for sure.  And I never listened to the Liquid carbon with the HD800 either.  All those caveats aside, I'd say LC balanced > H10 > LC unbalanced.  IMHO the LC is a waste unless you're going balanced.  

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #1,207 of 2,153
I just joined the drop on Massdrop.  I am excited about this because up until now the biggest thing lacking in my arsenal was a good quality Amp/Dac.  I have had the Fiio eo9k and e17 for a while, and it is an excellent price to performance ratio, but this will bump my set-up to another level.  I am very excited for this to arrive.  Only downside to Massdrop is you have to wait a little longer!  I am hoping this will be an "end game" for me in the Amp/Dac world, as to get something markedly better would cost me a small fortune!

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #1,208 of 2,153
  I just joined the drop on Massdrop.  I am excited about this because up until now the biggest thing lacking in my arsenal was a good quality Amp/Dac.  I have had the Fiio eo9k and e17 for a while, and it is an excellent price to performance ratio, but this will bump my set-up to another level.  I am very excited for this to arrive.  Only downside to Massdrop is you have to wait a little longer!  I am hoping this will be an "end game" for me in the Amp/Dac world, as to get something markedly better would cost me a small fortune!

I don't that it's totally end game for me, but it's drastically increased my ability to not get new stuff.  Like, for example, I would have absolutely bought a Mojo when I recently had a review unit, if not for the m9XX.

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #1,209 of 2,153
Is it "End game"? For a DAC? Close enough for most people. As an amp? Eh... not IMO. It's very good but I'd pair it with a ballsy SS or tube hybrid to drive big planars (if they're your thing) and high-resistance cans. I'd say buy the m9XX then later get a Mjolnir 2 and you'd be set.

Mar 6, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #1,210 of 2,153
Hi HiFi'ers,

H-E-L-P !!!

I have the m9xx but it's not compatible with my Ibasso DX9 via USB, producing no sound.

If i use the supplied Toslink cable, it cannot fit into DX9 as it does not have a toslink output.

Is there a simple adapter out there that converts the other tail end of the Toslink cable to be co-axial, so that it can fit into the line out co-axial jack of the DX90 and into toslnk input of m9xx ?

Supplied links if possible, thanks

Mar 6, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #1,211 of 2,153

I don't that it's totally end game for me, but it's drastically increased my ability to not get new stuff.  Like, for example, I would have absolutely bought a Mojo when I recently had a review unit, if not for the m9XX.

Well I do not have the funds to go into true "HiFi" territory, and will most likely not achieve it on a teachers salary!  Also, in my experience, once you get past "MidFi" you enter the land of diminishing returns pretty fast.  It very well could be I lack the critique of some, but I will not consider it a bad thing as it saves me $$ :).  In any scenario this will be a pretty big step up from my e17 and e09k!

Mar 7, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #1,213 of 2,153
No idea, I've only heard it balanced.

Mar 7, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #1,214 of 2,153
No idea, I've only heard it balanced.
im not too familiar with balanced setups, but i don't think mjolnir2 can run balanced with m9xx because m9xx doesn't have balance outputs, only rca. From what i heard lurking around headfi is that in order run balanced properly, the dac must have balance outputs connected to amp balanced inputs then connect a balanced cabled headphone to amp. But please correct me if im wrong, im still a caveman when it comes to this stuff.

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #1,215 of 2,153
I meant that I've only ever heard the Mjolnir 2 in a fully balanced setup, the DAC was a Gungnir, but I imagine practically any DAC would sound great connected SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back