Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Jun 26, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #1,516 of 2,153
Not likely, it is designed to remain on 24/7.  It does also come with a 5 year warranty so that should be an indication of the quality of the product.  I leave mine on all the time and have had no issues for the 3 months or so I have owned it.

Thanks, i might have read it somewhere about a possible firmware update, if only i can find it

Jun 26, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #1,517 of 2,153
Thanks, i might have read it somewhere about a possible firmware update, if only i can find it

The latest firmware updated V1.02 can be found at Grace Support

I have not heard of a need or plan for a power option.  These devices use minimal power when not in use, and I typically leave my SS dac/amps on and ready to use even if they have a power switch.

The m9XX has been running without a problem 24/7.  It is connected to my music server which is on an old Dell XP machine that runs 24/7 constantly uploading data for a personal weather station PWS I have for WeatherUnderground as well as providing access to music via WiFi whenever required.

I have actually had fewer problems HDs and Fans included, with this machine than others I cycle off and on daily, so am beginning to believe cycling components on and off is more stressful than leaving them run.

Jun 26, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #1,518 of 2,153
  I'm looking to upgrade my cheap Chinese DAC/amp.
At the moment I'm tossing up between this or a Schiit Magni 2 uber / Modi 2 uber combo.
Whichever I choose will be used as a desktop setup, listening to (mostly) FLAC files, on Fostex TH-X00's, and gaming with ATH-AD900X (these may be replaced with AKG K7XX's in the near future).
The Schiit stack would set me back a little over $500 aud. The Grace a touch over $700.
There is nowhere near me that sells headphone amps / DAC's, so I can't "try before I buy".
Is this m9XX worth the extra $200?

Well in this m9XX thread you will find a bias toward it, myself included, for its sound quality and ergonomics; it is so easy to use and change filters, inputs etc with the turn and click top mounted knob...just a beautiful piece of gear IMO.  It is also a smaller footprint and an all in one design.

I see that the uber version of the Schiit stack you are looking at is quite comparable spec wise including using the same DAC chip the AK4490 so it would be a tough call;  maybe someone here owns both and could give a better answer.  Both brands have a well deserved following.

The m9XX does allow 32-bit 384kHz capable from USB and DSD up to DSD128 if that is something useful for you; I personally have very few music files in that sample rate but who knows what lies in the future :)

Jun 26, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #1,519 of 2,153
The amps are similar. But the Dac is a significant improvement. Also the preamp performance is better on th grace. It is also more portable although not as portable as the Mojo. I also have the AKG k7xx and the Grace powers then quite well. I had older **** stack with the Modi/Vali. Plus the Dac in the grace will work with better performing amplifiers. I also have the
Oppo BD105d and I think the Dac section is better on the grace.

Jun 26, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #1,520 of 2,153
Btw what should be the best volume number to input from the m9xx into a speaker amp? Should I leave it at 90 or go above? I'm almost entirely new to the concept of "preamp", as in the past I've always input my DAC (ODAC, Modi, etc.) into the speaker amp.

Jun 26, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #1,521 of 2,153
Btw what should be the best volume number to input from the m9xx into a speaker amp? Should I leave it at 90 or go above? I'm almost entirely new to the concept of "preamp", as in the past I've always input my DAC (ODAC, Modi, etc.) into the speaker amp.

Jun 26, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #1,522 of 2,153
Hello.  Does anyone notice sound quality difference between Mojo and M9xx?

I am keen to purchase either of them now and not sure which one to go for.
I read reviews on both products and they are all great.... I do not have any hard to drive headphone so amp power is not top priority but sound quality is.
I am currently using Meridian Explorer as main dac/amp at the moment.
It is good to have an option of portability but I mainly listen with MBA so portability is less concern and main focus is sound quality.

I was told that M9xx compare nicely with Mojo in terms of sound quality and dac performance but not sure if there is any noticeable difference between the two in terms of Dac/Amp performance.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

Jun 27, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #1,523 of 2,153

I read reviews on both products and they are all great.... I do not have any hard to drive headphone so amp power is not top priority but sound quality is.
It is good to have an option of portability but I mainly listen with MBA so portability is less concern and main focus is sound quality.

I was told that M9xx compare nicely with Mojo in terms of sound quality and dac performance but not sure if there is any noticeable difference between the two in terms of Dac/Amp performance.

​I have owned both and kept the m9XX.

Both are excellent (and certainly beat the Explorer) - you are likely to be very happy with either.

The Mojo will cope a little better with harder to drive headphones if that became a future requirement.  As you say, the Mojo is also better for portable use.
The m9XX is much more easy to use in a desktop scenario however and so, if that is your priority, I would recommend the m9XX over the Mojo.

Jun 27, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #1,524 of 2,153

Both are excellent (and certainly beat the Explorer) - you are likely to be very happy with either.

The Mojo will cope a little better with harder to drive headphones if that became a future requirement.  As you say, the Mojo is also better for portable use.
The m9XX is much more easy to use in a desktop scenario however and so, if that is your priority, I would recommend the m9XX over the Mojo.

Thank you so much. Very helpful..May I ask why you kept M9xx and let Mojo go? Is it because you mainly listen from desktop setup? I mainly listen from desktop so portability is not top priority but good to have the option I guess. Was there any sound quality difference between the two or it is pretty much neck to neck?

Jun 27, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #1,525 of 2,153
Yes, the main reason was for desktop use. I use the m9XX into power amp and speakers 95% of the time and occasionally with headphones.

If there are a differences between the Mojo and m9XX then I can't hear them. Both make me smile a lot.

Jun 27, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #1,526 of 2,153

Just curious as to what your reasoning for the Mojo dealing better with hard to drive headphones? If memory serves me correctly the Mojo has less available power at all headphone resistances. I know that's not everything when it comes to powering hard to drive headphones, but I was just curious as to your reason since that's not something I've read before.

Jun 27, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #1,527 of 2,153
Just curious as to what your reasoning for the Mojo dealing better with hard to drive headphones? If memory serves me correctly the Mojo has less available power at all headphone resistances. I know that's not everything when it comes to powering hard to drive headphones, but I was just curious as to your reason since that's not something I've read before.

That's just me posting while tired :)

You are entirely right - based on spec, the m9XX will do a better job than the Mojo in this respect.

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #1,528 of 2,153
The m9XX is sort of a cross between the Bifrost and the Mojo.  It encompasses the portability of the Mojo, but has a more similar flavor to the Bifrost.  I understand this is a large oversimplification, but in my mind that is where I place the m9XX.

Jun 27, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #1,529 of 2,153

They do sound similar. I'd say, just from my experience, the m9XX is a bit less detailed at the top end and has a wider soundstage. Whereas the Mojo is a bit more accurate across the board and has a slightly more closed-in soundstage. As with most things in this field, you have to make a personal determination between "fun" and "technical" and what's right for you. Also, the cans you hope to pair them with.

The big differentiator is feature-set and form factor. Leaving the m9XX on all the time and having it connected to phones and speakers simultaneously is a lot easier than with the Mojo. I can leave most things plugged into the Grace. The Mojo is a lot more portable and isn't really meant to anchor a desktop solution.

Jun 28, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #1,530 of 2,153
I just stumbled on this DAC/Amp. Do the latest models use philips screw heads or torx heads on the chassis? Also, is there a plastic film that protects the display from scratches during shipment? 

Thanks for any help ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back