Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Jun 12, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #1,486 of 2,153
Can't give you specific number but IMO buying the m9xx just for its DAC function is already a bargain. Before I had the chance to try the m9xx I thought I'd save up for the AUne s16, which was the best DAC I've heard yet had very so-so amp section. Worst than the o2 I had. But then I knew I don't have to wait anymore and joined the last m9xx drop (not the one going on).
Now onto the amping section. It drives the k7xx really well and IMO my O2 didn't drive the akg q/k7 effectively. I'm pretty sure the m9xx is the best in the $500 price range. Hope this helps you to come up with a decision.

I am, and I think it's great with the TH-900. It ever so slightly takes the edge off its treble, at least compared to something like the JDS Element. Very happy with the combo, although I wonder if maybe I should move onto a dedicated desktop amp or DAC part, since I don't use the m9xx as a portable at all. 

That said, can anyone make an estimate as to how the amp/DAC balances out on the m9xx, in terms of %? For instance, is the m9xx split 50/50 as an amp/DAC, is it 80/20 amp/DAC, 20/80 amp/DAC, etc? Because I know for a lot of these all-in-one amp/DAC combos, sometimes the amp is the better component (I'm thinking of the WA7 Fireflies here), while sometimes the DAC is the better component. 

So, does anyone know? Or can make an educated guess? 

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #1,487 of 2,153
When I borrowed the m9xx from a friend I set it to 99 and connected it to my Little Dot amp as well as my Denon speaker amp. The sound was great and showed absolutely no trace of double amping.

That's good then because 99 is the worst case scenario for the m9XX as far as double amping goes as that's the "second stage" amp portion full engaged.

Jun 12, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #1,488 of 2,153
That's good then because 99 is the worst case scenario for the m9XX as far as double amping goes as that's the "second stage" amp portion full engaged.

I wonder whether the second stage of amplification affects the line outputs significantly?
Regardless, they recommend a setting of 90 for a line level out from the RCA outputs (2 Volts).
This is the setting I use when driving an external amp with the M9xx. This gives a pretty good match in levels with other DACs that have a fixed  level line out rated at 2 volts.

When using the RCA outputs on the M9xx, there is not "Double Amping" going on. From everything I have read, this is a true line level output, only with a variable output.

Jun 12, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #1,489 of 2,153

I am, and I think it's great with the TH-900. It ever so slightly takes the edge off its treble, at least compared to something like the JDS Element. Very happy with the combo, although I wonder if maybe I should move onto a dedicated desktop amp or DAC part, since I don't use the m9xx as a portable at all. 

That said, can anyone make an estimate as to how the amp/DAC balances out on the m9xx, in terms of %? For instance, is the m9xx split 50/50 as an amp/DAC, is it 80/20 amp/DAC, 20/80 amp/DAC, etc? Because I know for a lot of these all-in-one amp/DAC combos, sometimes the amp is the better component (I'm thinking of the WA7 Fireflies here), while sometimes the DAC is the better component. 

So, does anyone know? Or can make an educated guess? 

I use my m9xx as a desktop DAC only, and find it perfect for the job. It sounds superb as a DAC. Can't say anything about the amp, because I can only use it with an external amp for electrostatic headphones. For me there's nothing a desktop DAC would add, besides more I/O options. I previously had the Grace m903, which is a desktop DAC/amp with more I/O options, but the m9xx is on par and sometimes slightly better than that as a DAC. I do not know what a m920 would add in sound quality, but I guess not much. I think a desktop DAC and/or amp can only improve upon the m9xx for significantly more money, because the m9xx is very cost effective because it cuts out distributors, dealers and also all kinds of expensive casework, knobs, connectors, balanced circuitry and so on, that you will all have to pay for if you buy a bigger DAC somewhere. To beat the m9xx, I think you would have to spend at least the amount of money the m920 goes for, and then some.

In reply to your original question, I have the feeling that the m9xx is more of a DAC than an amp, but cannot specify in percent because that would be pointless. The reason for this is that it can only be an adequate 'usb amp' (if there is such a thing) by being a good DAC first.

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #1,491 of 2,153
Anyone using the m9xx with the LSR305's?
Got a shipping quote for the Airmotiv 5s,it is ridiculous (as expected) so the JBL's look like the best choice for me now.Just wondering how are they sounding with the Grace?

Jun 14, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #1,494 of 2,153
Is there a battery pack with a button to start/stop charging a device?

Would like to use it to properly turn off m9xx instead of unplugging usb cable

For outdoor?

Jun 14, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #1,495 of 2,153
Jun 14, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #1,497 of 2,153
Nope
Thanks. Description says usb cable shud be unplugged to turn off.
It would have been perfect if there was a Off button on it

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=76

Note: i have not try this but is battery. I already have a balanced power supply feeding 5V2A Linear Power supply into this dac with upocc usb cable.

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #1,498 of 2,153
Thanks. Description says usb cable shud be unplugged to turn off.
It would have been perfect if there was a Off button on it

I had to read the advertisement a couple of times myself. You can turn it off by unplugging the USB cable - this is for convenience, or so that if you forgot to power it off it will self-power off simply by unplugging from a phone once the phone is charged.

There is an on/off button.

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #1,499 of 2,153
Jun 14, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #1,500 of 2,153
http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=76

Note: i have not try this but is battery. I already have a balanced power supply feeding 5V2A Linear Power supply into this dac with upocc usb cable.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Although I am looking for a portable battery pack/power bank to replace the power adapter that comes with m9xx

Reason being, i'd like to use the unit on HP mode, and also do not want to leave it on all the time. So a battery pack with a On/Off button seemed perfect.

But if Grace has plans to add this feature (turn the unit off) via a firmware update, that would be best; as it would allow us to use the power adapter Grace recommends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back