Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Jun 10, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #1,471 of 2,153
Just got my m9xx in today and it compares VERY favorably with the Mojo. I'm listening to Little Guitars off Spotify on my PM-3s and it sounds GREAT, especially the acoustic guitar intro.

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #1,472 of 2,153

It sounds as if you're using the DirectSound (DS) output method of foobar, while you should be using the WASAPI output plugin (preferably in 'event mode' so I've read). Then foobar will be able to switch sample rates. If you use DirectSound, the Windows mixer will still be between foobar and the m9xx, and Windows will use the sample rate that you have set in the sound card properties dialog. If you go there, by searching for 'change sound card settings', select the XMOS USB audio device (the m9xx) under 'playback', click properties in the lower right corner, disable all enhancements under 'enhancements', and under 'advanced' tick both boxes under 'exclusive mode'. Here you can also set the sample rate that Windows will use for all other sounds going to the m9xx, such as YouTube videos, games, movies etc. Note that it is precisely this setting that you will want to bypass with foobar by using the 'direct route' of the WASAPI plugin, which uses the aforementioned exclusive mode.

I am using the DS output method since i couldn't get the WASAPI event to work with my fiio E10k.Also using foobar,but when i switch to wasapi event,the sound is really distorted,no matter the volume or gain.Tried changing the bitrate to 24bit or 32bit,it is the same.I have disabled all enhancements and i have checked the exclusive mode.So i just use the DirectSound output.

Jun 10, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #1,473 of 2,153
Evryone thanks for help.

I did change the settings of the device by Windows proporties to 192k/24 b, and the Dac show :''19'' wich  mean 192k.

I did install the Wasapi output, and enable them in Foobar.

I did install the DSDFDD decoder in Foobar.

Still, when itry to play DSD files, Foobar gave me :''Unable to open item for playback (Not a PSF file):
"C:\Users\Win7\Desktop\Magnificat soun dtest\2L-106_stereo_DSD-5644k_MAGNIFICAT_04.dsf\2L-106_stereo_DSD-5644k_MAGNIFICAT_04.dsf"'' error message.

What i am missing?

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #1,474 of 2,153
  The m9xx is going to bring the bass control and focus the soundstage on those Massdrop AKGs.  It did for my old Q701s, anyway.

The Purpleheart ought to be like rolling thunder  :)    Definitely let us know how that sounds, as I've been thinking about some kind of Fostex set lately.

Anyone using the m9xx with a TH-900?

I'd love to try it with the AKG but I'm afraid that it'll be bright because I'm pretty treble sensitive that's why I'm using the T1se with it right now. But I love clarity. So I'll have to listen to it first.
Lol myfriend also bought the m9xx, thx00 and k7xx (and I auditioned all of them). The thx00 doesn't disappoint, but I prefer the k7xx much more. It is the AKG I dreamed of, having listened to all the other k/q7 headphones but decided against all of them

Haha yeah I guess I went for the Massdrop 'holy trinity'. I also went for the HE350 just for fun / testing lol. I'd understand. Totally different sound signatures so it depends on your preference.

Btw I went for the EU 220V but Malaysia is 240V. Is it safe to use?

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #1,475 of 2,153
Lucky for you "harsh" is the last word I'd use to describe the k7xx +m9xx combo. It's very musical. As someone who has auditioned a lot of akg I was particularly surprised.
I think it should be ok in Malaysia. All of my equipments are 220V, none got broken in My.

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #1,476 of 2,153
Lucky for you "harsh" is the last word I'd use to describe the k7xx +m9xx combo. It's very musical. As someone who has auditioned a lot of akg I was particularly surprised.
I think it should be ok in Malaysia. All of my equipments are 220V, none got broken in My.
Yes, "harsh" was the word I was looking for haha. That's good to hear. I hope the Purpleheart is smooth too. Oh sorry I didn't realize you were from here too. Nice to meet you btw. Have any of your items been delivered by USPS? It was a bit for expensive compared to the K7XX which used DHL. I'm expecting it to arrive next week.

Jun 11, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #1,477 of 2,153
Sorry can't help with that as I travel a lot between Malaysia and other countries (not a Malaysian myself, in fact at the moment I'm in Singapore). Often my stuffs would get delivered in the Us or Singapore, but in Sg everything is fast and convenient so I wouldn't care if it was DHL or UPS. All of my Massdrop stuffs got delivered by UPS though

Jun 11, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #1,478 of 2,153
Sorry can't help with that as I travel a lot between Malaysia and other countries (not a Malaysian myself, in fact at the moment I'm in Singapore). Often my stuffs would get delivered in the Us or Singapore, but in Sg everything is fast and convenient so I wouldn't care if it was DHL or UPS. All of my Massdrop stuffs got delivered by UPS though
I see, I'm worried about the tax. +gst now it's around 21%... That's quite a lot, around rm400+-.. I hope it goes through quietly :joy:

Jun 11, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #1,479 of 2,153
  I am using the DS output method since i couldn't get the WASAPI event to work with my fiio E10k.Also using foobar,but when i switch to wasapi event,the sound is really distorted,no matter the volume or gain.Tried changing the bitrate to 24bit or 32bit,it is the same.I have disabled all enhancements and i have checked the exclusive mode.So i just use the DirectSound output.

Well if you want to keep using DirectSound, you cannot have automatic sample rate switching and also no DSD.

Evryone thanks for help.

I did change the settings of the device by Windows proporties to 192k/24 b, and the Dac show :''19'' wich  mean 192k.

I did install the Wasapi output, and enable them in Foobar.

I did install the DSDFDD decoder in Foobar.

Still, when itry to play DSD files, Foobar gave me :''Unable to open item for playback (Not a PSF file):
"C:\Users\Win7\Desktop\Magnificat soun dtest\2L-106_stereo_DSD-5644k_MAGNIFICAT_04.dsf\2L-106_stereo_DSD-5644k_MAGNIFICAT_04.dsf"'' error message.

What i am missing?

I don't know what you mean with the 'DSDFDD decoder', but what you need is the Super Audio CD Decoder. The latest version, 0.9.7, works really well now in conjunction with the WASAPI output plugin. There's no need anymore for ASIO.

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #1,480 of 2,153
I see, I'm worried about the tax. +gst now it's around 21%... That's quite a lot, around rm400+-.. I hope it goes through quietly :joy:

Oh mine. I knew GST were rising but didn't know it's that much.

Why don't you try WASAPI push? None of my DACs seem to work with event.

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #1,481 of 2,153

Well if you want to keep using DirectSound, you cannot have automatic sample rate switching and also no DSD.

I don't know what you mean with the 'DSDFDD decoder', but what you need is the Super Audio CD Decoder. The latest version, 0.9.7, works really well now in conjunction with the WASAPI output plugin. There's no need anymore for ASIO.

Thanks, it work now!

:)

Jun 12, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #1,483 of 2,153
 Anyone using the m9xx with a TH-900?

I am, and I think it's great with the TH-900. It ever so slightly takes the edge off its treble, at least compared to something like the JDS Element. Very happy with the combo, although I wonder if maybe I should move onto a dedicated desktop amp or DAC part, since I don't use the m9xx as a portable at all. 

That said, can anyone make an estimate as to how the amp/DAC balances out on the m9xx, in terms of %? For instance, is the m9xx split 50/50 as an amp/DAC, is it 80/20 amp/DAC, 20/80 amp/DAC, etc? Because I know for a lot of these all-in-one amp/DAC combos, sometimes the amp is the better component (I'm thinking of the WA7 Fireflies here), while sometimes the DAC is the better component. 

So, does anyone know? Or can make an educated guess? 

Jun 12, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #1,484 of 2,153
I am, and I think it's great with the TH-900. It ever so slightly takes the edge off its treble, at least compared to something like the JDS Element. Very happy with the combo, although I wonder if maybe I should move onto a dedicated desktop amp or DAC part, since I don't use the m9xx as a portable at all. 

That said, can anyone make an estimate as to how the amp/DAC balances out on the m9xx, in terms of %? For instance, is the m9xx split 50/50 as an amp/DAC, is it 80/20 amp/DAC, 20/80 amp/DAC, etc? Because I know for a lot of these all-in-one amp/DAC combos, sometimes the amp is the better component (I'm thinking of the WA7 Fireflies here), while sometimes the DAC is the better component. 

So, does anyone know? Or can make an educated guess? 
IIRC you can't bypass the DAC part of the M9XX, you can only use a separate amp. I might be wrong though. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.

USPS is slower compared to DHL imo. After 5 days it's only in San Francisco. I hate that I read the notification that it's bern shipped. It's making me itchy so I go the website and trace it everyday :joy:

Jun 12, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #1,485 of 2,153
When I borrowed the m9xx from a friend I set it to 99 and connected it to my Little Dot amp as well as my Denon speaker amp. The sound was great and showed absolutely no trace of double amping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back