Got My Brookstone Dual Drive Earbuds Today!
Aug 2, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #32 of 85
Sorry guys, I am having network issues. It was an eBay deal that appears to have ended yesterday.

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #34 of 85
Then that's obviously not a deal, and just a single completed listing on a website where any of tens of thousands of different sellers can list any quantity of any item for any price they want.

Quote:
Sorry guys, I am having network issues. It was an eBay deal that appears to have ended yesterday.

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #35 of 85

Quote:
do you think they would be fine for running or working out? I understand they are a cable-down IEM, but they also look like they would be pretty snug in your ear

They fit very snug. They won't fall out but might be too microphonic.  You'd need to use a shirt clip with it but it doesn't come with one.

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #36 of 85
yeah somebody needs to a/b  this babies with real DDM2 and if there are, I am reselling this on Japan's ebay or to Dimitri from MusicaAcoustics 
evil_smiley.gif

cheapest DDM2 in Japan cost about $290US
it is more then 5 times price difference. Radius will get real mad for sure!

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #37 of 85
Aug 2, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #38 of 85
Definitely on the fence about these as I was always tempted by the two DDM's.

As for the real reason for this post, for those of you who mentioned returning them of thought about it:
"Some items cannot be returned if opened, including CDs, DVDs, earbuds and some selected personal care items, such as sleep pillows, mattress toppers, toothbrushes, hair brushes, razors/trimmers and epilators."

from the Brookstone return policy.

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #39 of 85
Well, I almost pulled the trigger on a pair of these but I just need a little more convincing before I take the plunge. Keep those impressions coming guys!
etysmile.gif

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #40 of 85
I’ve got close to 20 hours on them now...

Treble is very reminiscent of SM3 treble.  It’s pretty detailed and extended, even a little sparkle but takes a back seat to the rest of the presentation.  Mids to me remain fairly neutral in presentation.  If pressed I might say a tad bit forward.  Bass has come in stronger and definitely has a little bit of bleed into the mids warming up the sound.  Bass seems equal parts mid and sub bass.  These are definitely bassy, non fatiguing phones that lean towards a being just slightly dark.

This phone requires no amping and sounds really good from HO.  They are pretty efficient and you can really crank them up, if you desire, without any degradation of sound.  I would say soundstage is average and despite being vented do not have a large or airy presentation.  Notes are pretty thick in nature.  Also isolation is pretty low.  I think my Sony EX1000 and JVC FX700 isolate a bit more.  They are definitely very comfortable to wear and fit very snugly, however the cord is a bit microphonic.  A shirt clip is probably a must if you use these during any kind of vigorous activity.

In direct comparison with another bassy phone like the JVC FX700 you immediately hear the difference in clarity, separation and timbre the JVC’s have.  The JVC’s presentation is a good bit brighter as well.  The Brookstone’s seem to have a much thicker and warmer note than the JVC’s and has less dynamic range as well.   The digiZoid zo (tuned all the way down) helps bring out a bit better dynamics, however I do not like adding any of the bass enhancement steps with them.  I’ve never heard the real Radius offering, so I cannot comment on how close they are to these but I can say these are well worth $60.

Aug 3, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #42 of 85

Quote:
does it capture the realism of the instruments?

Realism of instruments?  I think you mean timbre.  If you don't want to hit the link, timbre is just the property of the sound of an instrument that allows us to differentiate it from the rest.  It's the reason you can tell the difference between a guitar and a violin.  It goes much deeper than this, but that is essentially what it is.

If that is what you wanted, read above, he compares the timbre of these to the JVCs. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #45 of 85
Understandable, but the JVCs retail at over $300.

Quote:
At this stage I'd say timbre is average. I've only the JVC's with me to compare and in timbre there really is no comparison but that is also where the JVC's excel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back