Gilmore a significant upgrade from my META42?
Feb 1, 2003 at 6:17 AM Post #31 of 88
yeah Lou. no need to get offended
frown.gif

honestly, I had a semi-maxed out meta42 that I compared with gilmore once. it wasn't too long that I had them, BUT to my ears, I couldn't pick out one amp from the other! yeah sucky hearing
frown.gif
and well..I was running them from an..*drum roll* M-audio Sonica!
tongue.gif
I'm guessing a better source would bring out the differences better.

Feb 1, 2003 at 6:43 AM Post #34 of 88
crying.gif

Feb 1, 2003 at 6:37 PM Post #38 of 88
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
BTW the link doesn't work!!!!
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

It works for me
confused.gif

Try cut-and-pasting (www.) "imagestation.com/picture/sraid48/p29fd98bc08ef84a7f3027ab4a3c04673/fcb99f1d.jpg.orig.jpg"

Feb 1, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #39 of 88
I compared a Gilmore and a maxed out META42 recently and thought the difference was subtly in favor of the Gilmore. Not way better oh my god hysterical rantings etc.

Realize that saying you have a maxed out META42 is not an absolute definition because there are so many ways to build it. The difference could be slight to significant depending on how good your META42 is. Everyone says they have a maxed out META, but who sets the standards for what a maxed out META is?

No one.

Feb 1, 2003 at 7:55 PM Post #41 of 88
I agree with Morsel that the term "Maxed Out" is relative to the original definition.....which there is none for the multi-loop/META amp. What I believe Lou was told was that I would build the amp with the best components (at the time) that I have here. "Maxed Out" was his term for how he wanted the amp configured and it just kind of stuck.

Besides, Maxed Out should reference Head-Fi sponsor's Maxed Out Home amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2003 at 8:00 PM Post #42 of 88
JMT but do you really believe that a really good made META the best you can make, will perform as the Gilmore???? Were they intended for the same purpose, so will they have the same sound quality at the end....????

Feb 1, 2003 at 8:49 PM Post #43 of 88
Quote:

Originally posted by morsel
I compared a Gilmore and a maxed out META42 recently and thought the difference was subtly in favor of the Gilmore. Not way better oh my god hysterical rantings etc.

Realize that saying you have a maxed out META42 is not an absolute definition because there are so many ways to build it. The difference could be slight to significant depending on how good your META42 is. Everyone says they have a maxed out META, but who sets the standards for what a maxed out META is?

No one.

Maybe to your ears is not such a huge difference but for others is, or in a better configuaration it is, sorry morsel I know you was one of the persons involved in the design and development of the MEAT42, and knows a lot about its performance, more than most of us, but I doubth that an amp that was "intended" for protable use, with other requirements in mind, like battery life, portability, etc...will perform at the same level of an amp intended for home use and which purpose was to squeeze the best out of your headphnes, Gilmore was not thinking in battery life or restrictions like protability, size, etc...he just tried to design the best to drive the headphone he had, as it was intended to be a DIY project the cost of parts was not an issue neither, like in a comercial amp....Just look at these facts, IIRC, with the best power supply you can make for a META, it is only able to put around 15volts out, casue the design, the gilmore OTOH, is a more forward design intended for home use, uses a much better power supply, and is able to put with the power supply that they are using now up to 36.8volts, there is a difference right? and a huge difference, maybe to you it will sound similar but in a carefull comparison like LOU did, (read below) the gilmore was a WAY BETTER, of course the source, IC, etc...did their roll too and maybe with a bad source or poor ICs they sound similar, but in a nice setup, they should not...they are not in the same league, and were not design for the same use and purpose, of course, the sound should not be the same, unless something was wrong in the system...

Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
Ok Here go my last word on this for now. The Max Out META42 is a great amp for its price and power that it has. one or two 9 volt batt. or a wal-wart that most use that is 12 volts.
The GILMORE is a great amp for its price and power that it has. Now the GILMORE power is 36.8 volts of separate power in its own case plus it has a separate case for the awesome amp that is very natural but as you get used to it the sound grows on you and starts to sound awesome in all respect in the highs mids and lows. It is with out a doubt the best amp that I ever had. There are many amp that I have not heard so only in what I know its the very best amp for me. I liked the META because it seems to put out bass and mids and highs but after a good long listen to the GILMORE amp I find that there is no way I can accept the META sound. I like this refine and natural sound that has all and more of the META sound and with such authority that you better be Waring tight socks because they might blow off. So that s it. If you want to ask any questions about the META and GILMORE ask who ever but not me. I am gone from the META and just don't want to put it down and enjoy my GILMORE. Look I bought it on the blind so if you need more info sorry.

Feb 1, 2003 at 9:47 PM Post #44 of 88
Sovkiller, either you didn't read what I said carefully or you didn't understand what I said. You can build a META42 with uberbuffers like the discontinued EL2009, AD843 opamps, a precision regulated split ±15V power supply instead of virtual ground, etc.

I already said precisely what I intended to say, so I'm done here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back