Gilmore a significant upgrade from my META42?
Feb 1, 2003 at 2:10 AM Post #16 of 88
Quote:

Originally posted by bdb55
I would bet that Lou's amp had 2001's. I ordered a JMT "max-out" META42 a couple months after Lou and mine has 2001's.

Here's a pic of the inside of my META42:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...d.jpg.orig.jpg

BTW the link doesn't work!!!!
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Feb 1, 2003 at 2:32 AM Post #17 of 88
Quote:

Don't think that the Max out META will cost you much less than a Gilmore

I already have the META42 (got it before the Gilmore was available). Now I'm thinking about upgrading.

Feb 1, 2003 at 2:44 AM Post #18 of 88
My guess: For high-impedance phones, the gilmore is a decent incremental upgrade, not a giant step up from a maxout meta, but better than most other upgrades at that price, while for low impedance phones like grados, it will be a major upgrade, which significantly increases bass in addition to more subtle improvements in other areas.

Feb 1, 2003 at 3:36 AM Post #19 of 88
FYI, the Gilmore is consider one of the best solid state amps nowadays in the market, and is a giant step for whatever in not in this category, and the META is not, (according to some of the headfiers that have heard both) and even the same headfiers that made META42s, don't hesitate to recomended the Gilmore when asked, the META42 is a decent amp, specially for portable use, but definitelly not in the Gilmore category, of course will cost you a bit less....the gilmore according to the reviews sounds awesome with any can, high or low impedance.

Feb 1, 2003 at 4:48 AM Post #20 of 88
As soon as the new Gilmore comes out, I think my META42 will probably go up for sale. I've read too many good things about the Gilmore to not go for it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2003 at 4:54 AM Post #21 of 88
Quote:

Originally posted by Squalish
while for low impedance phones like grados, it will be a major upgrade, which significantly increases bass in addition to more subtle improvements in other areas.

this seems to contradict Lou's opinion. He seems to be saying the gilmore's sounding more "natural", whereas the meta42's more exaggerated in the top and bottom. right now..I'm actually leaning towards the sound of the meta42 from his descriptions!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2003 at 5:06 AM Post #23 of 88
a bird whispered in my ear that it will be pretty soon, less than a month...

Feb 1, 2003 at 5:38 AM Post #26 of 88
Quote:

NOOO sign up now and get on the waiting list.

I can't do that yet. I'm not even positive that my META42 will sell. If the META42 doesn't sell for what I think it's worth, then I can't afford a Gilmore. If I have to wait until summer, then I can certainly live with what I've got until then.

Quote:

So which has more bass and treble? meta42, albeit not "natural" to you, or the more "refined" gilmore?

Might I offer a guess on this issue? Is it possible that the Gilmore is better on all fronts, but particularly better in the midrange, making the META42, which is (i guess?) strong in the top and bottom, sound like it has "exaggerated" top and bottom?

Feb 1, 2003 at 5:45 AM Post #27 of 88
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd

Might I offer a guess on this issue? Is it possible that the Gilmore is better on all fronts, but particularly better in the midrange, making the META42, which is (i guess?) strong in the top and bottom, sound like it has "exaggerated" top and bottom?

hey! thats it! that would explain Lou's overservations! lets see if he can verify this
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2003 at 5:47 AM Post #28 of 88
Also, LT switched interconnects as well, so I might guess that his interconnects altered the sound as well. Copper is known to emphasize the midrange above the top and sometimes the bottom. LT, what are your interconnects, are they copper based?

Feb 1, 2003 at 6:11 AM Post #30 of 88
You sound offended, why?
confused.gif

There's a big difference between putting something down and making a comparison. Some amps are better sounding than others; no one expects you to like the META as well as the Gilmore. I (and I think many others) are just curious what the META's weak points are exactly. If you don't know, that's completely fine (I suck at making exact comparisons myself), but you are definitely allowed to make a comparison. Trust me, JMT will not be offended in the slightest.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, I think the interconnects question is a valid one. Do you happen to know whether your interconnects are copper or silver based?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back