Getting a new computer.
Apr 20, 2002 at 7:12 AM Post #61 of 64
Don't forget to get a good power supply! I learned that the hard way; my main PC is sitting dead because the p/s was a piece of lowest-bidder crap.

Apparently PC Power & Cooling (www.pcpowercooling.com) is one of the best. (they also happen to have a case fan that was reviewed by Stereophile... and are the place I'm getting my replacement p/s from...)

Apr 20, 2002 at 7:28 AM Post #62 of 64
I think my problems rebooting is more heat-related than anything else; it booted up fine when the processor and system temperatures are relatively cool - but crank either one up enough, and then the problems will crop up. When I had the problems, the system temperature read 82 degrees F, and the CPU temperature read 105 degrees F. And some motherboards begin to lose its stability at high temperatures.

Apr 20, 2002 at 2:43 PM Post #63 of 64
I have had an LCD monitor for the last couple of years at work. I swear by it. Glare is no minimal and your eyes arent tired at the end of the day. I do a combination of graphics and text and hove found it better than a CRT monitor in all respects

John

Apr 20, 2002 at 11:08 PM Post #64 of 64
This time, I stuck with Antec - but the model of the fan/heatsink that I chose is the "Reference" cooler! My previous Antec cooler was the "Jet Cool" model, which is the same as a Molex cooler that Tom's Hardware had tested that delivered very mediocre results in the 1GHz cooling test!
mad.gif
And I paid more than $25 for that ******** cooler!!
eek.gif
The new Reference cooler costs $40 plus tax, but it's the same cooler as the highly-rated Swiftech model MC370(-0A) cooler that Tom's Hardware had also tested.

The result thus far: Previously, the temperature differential between the "System Temperature" and the "CPU Temperature" had exceeded 10 degrees C (18 degrees F) - which meant that neither of the two fan/heatsink combos that I had prior to the $40 Antec/Swiftech unit were doing their job. But so far with the $40 cooler, the CPU temperature is significantly cooler but the "System Temperature" is slightly higher, which means that my new cooler is a good one (unlike the cheaper, mediocre lightweight units that I had used previously).

Bottom line: You get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back