Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Oct 6, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #2,041 of 13,800
Cool I like that the knob is shiny and it looks like it has 3 round bottomed isolating feet.. Not sure about the font on the logo.. 
the logo reminds me of the triforce

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #2,042 of 13,800

I went back and took a look at how much I paid for the Pulse X/f/i with the LPS. Let's just say its not cheap at all :)

Maybe not in Rupees but a dual mono balanced DAC with Crystek femto clocks, minimum phase digital filter, and 4 channel linear 5/12v linear power supply for under a grand is a crazy good deal. Now let's just hope that the aesthetics of the final product look the part. :wink:

Oct 7, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #2,043 of 13,800

Maybe not in Rupees but a dual mono balanced DAC with Crystek femto clocks, minimum phase digital filter, and 4 channel linear 5/12v linear power supply for under a grand is a crazy good deal. Now let's just hope that the aesthetics of the final product look the part. :wink:

+1. And if it indeed competes with the DACs in the $ 3K - whatever range, that's a bonus as well...

Oct 7, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #2,045 of 13,800
This is true and hardly surprising as the latest design bares scant comparison with the one voted for by the Geek Force. Personally I'm not too vexed by the knob as it's easily changed, but having GEEK emblazoned on the units front panel is a very poor design choice.  

Quote:
I think it's safe to say that the latest (final?) design is not going down well with the Geek Force! Pretty much four pages of hate...

http://lhlabs.com/force/geekpulse/2039-first-photo-of-geek-pulse-x-on-the-bench?start=250

Oct 7, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #2,046 of 13,800

Absolutely, I'm one of the haters on that thread :)  Very poor design choices indeed...especially considering these are easy things to get right, but have a huge visual impact if they are wrong. LH have even been spoon-fed a design by Candude that the vast majority seemed to like, and indeed voted for earlier in the campaign.

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #2,047 of 13,800
I really hope that the Pulse X image is something they put together for Canjam only, and not for the backers. They only had a Geek Pulse before and may have decided to add the Pulse X as a last moment decision. I am also one of the haters on that thread.

Another thing: They had a design contest at the beginning, and said that the design with the most votes would selected for production. If they were going to do what they wanted, why solicit our opinions in the first place?

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #2,048 of 13,800
I think the poll was just to choose the "direction" of the final design.  But yeah if you look at the current design and candudes design.. candudes is clearly prettier.. the font, port centering and knob.. also I think the orange oled text adds some needed color to it.  So it's kind of sad to think they started with that high quality of a design and every aspect was made less pretty in the real product.  Concept art always looks better than finished products though, e.g. cars.  Maybe at this point we should focus our input to things that we can still change.. like getting a bigger knob

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #2,051 of 13,800
  I think the Pulse will be my last Light Harmonic product, I just got banned over there...

they can't ban you from visiting them at RMAF can they?
rolleyes.gif

short of vulgarity or overt rudeness, really a sad move by LHLabs Mods without prior warning or some real legit reason.
I'd love to know the details of why,
as i've got a negative karma there for trying to introduce reality instead of constant spin-marketing-cheerleeding...  and now knob gate.

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #2,052 of 13,800
Well, I am just a bit sad, because I did not get a warning. They deleted my post and it was not that offensive, just a bit :wink:

@jexby

Well, they can't "ban" me from visiting them at RMAF, but I am from Germany, the distance is keeping me away :)

Xuan

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #2,054 of 13,800
Well, it was a comparison I made.
In short I criticised the look like many other Force members did. A product that pricey has to look good. Even if it is going to sound awesome the look is still going to keep away new customers, if you look at Oppo, Auralic and other DAC/AMP combinations in that price category.

I compared it to intercourse with a man/woman who can take you to heaven with her/his godly skills :wink: but looks ugly and very unappealing...
No offense, but maybe that was too hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back