Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Oct 8, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #2,071 of 13,800
I just realized the current graphite grey actually closely matches the xlr explanation picture from the original indiegogo page.. funny

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #2,072 of 13,800
  This is the current design for anyone who doesn't like to visit lhlabs forum.  It seems it changed from black to grey since the last prototype we saw.  I don't know if it's Casey's photography compared to Gavin's, but the black prototype looks much better finished than the graphite grey one to me.  Like it looks WAY better.  Even the silver unfinished front plate looks better than the graphite grey to me.  I personally don't care _that much_ about looks as long as it sounds good and is functional but I can understand why people are upset.  The knob had to be shrunk because the IR port is in the acrylic circle above it and a bigger knob would block it. It seems like the design is finalized and the only thing they're changing is the front plate colors, logo and volume knob. 

here's the older black prototype to compare

here's deathson's marked picture of the inside of the front panel showing why the volume knob can't be bigger.  the red circle is the IR port.  You can see it above the hole for the volume knob in the 2nd picture.

I think this front plate is an unfinished linear power supply

Both I and others have wondered whether the apparent color difference is just all down to different lighting in the various pictures. I'm not suggesting they don't look very different, they do, but lighting can absolutely have that kind of photographic effect.

I don't think LH Labs has come out and said they've changed the color to a graphite grey, their stance was black and I believe it still is, albeit a flat/matte black finish as opposed to a deeper glossy look.

I guess we'll know more in a couple of days, when people see it and photograph it at the RMAF.

Oct 8, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #2,073 of 13,800
It would be nice if LH Labs would tell us :/  Casey said he was going to take a high quality pic and then posted that one though.  I notice the inner black plastic part of the XLR port looks grey in the graphic grey front panel pic, and it's black in the black front panel pic.. it seems unlikely they could get a custom grey xlr port so maybe the grey is just lighting and it really is still black?  But why would they post a picture that makes it looks so grey?  Surely they'd notice the color being totally messed up?
Update:  nevermind, Casey confirmed it's black.  I hope it's the same black as the pics Gavin took.  "It is indeed black. The picture truly doesn't do it justice, you're going to have to take my word for it on this.'

Oct 8, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #2,074 of 13,800
  It would be nice if LH Labs would tell us :/  Casey said he was going to take a high quality pic and then posted that one though.  I notice the inner black plastic part of the XLR port looks grey in the graphic grey front panel pic, and it's black in the black front panel pic.. it seems unlikely they could get a custom grey xlr port so maybe the grey is just lighting and it really is still black?  But why would they post a picture that makes it looks so grey?  Surely they'd notice the color being totally messed up?
Update:  nevermind, Casey confirmed it's black.  I hope it's the same black as the pics Gavin took.  "It is indeed black. The picture truly doesn't do it justice, you're going to have to take my word for it on this.'

I was thinking the same thing, so I asked the question...expecting to get an "it's grey of course, are you blind?!" answer.  Umm, not quite...!

http://lhlabs.com/force/geekpulse/2039-first-photo-of-geek-pulse-x-on-the-bench?start=500#33896

Oct 8, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #2,075 of 13,800
while don't want "ugly" or "plastic" looking, i'm not going to worry too much about how it looks, "feeling like quality" and sound , and function are what i will focus on.
too often times "high-end" is based more on looks than sound.
look at schiit gear,not glamorous at all, no muss, no fuss looks, but quality beyond its price

Oct 8, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #2,076 of 13,800
Still think that it's a very lacklustre interpretation of many great and far more aesthetically adventurous designs submitted by the Geek Force in the competition. But I guess that if it sounds amazing then I can always drape a copy of Playboy over it!   
wink_face.gif

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing, so I asked the question...expecting to get an "it's grey of course, are you blind?!" answer.  Umm, not quite...!

http://lhlabs.com/force/geekpulse/2039-first-photo-of-geek-pulse-x-on-the-bench?start=500#33896

Oct 8, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #2,077 of 13,800

And depending on the lighting at RMAF, it may still appear to have a greyish look to it in those forthcoming photos, but it's matte black.

I was actually hoping for a graphite/gunmetal grey, as that would more or less split the difference between silver and black, and probably better "match" everyone's current crop of components whether they be black or silver.

No dice, it's black.

Oct 8, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #2,078 of 13,800
The one with Jude's and on the photo they presented is different.

Oct 8, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #2,080 of 13,800
It seems to be greyish when lighting is pointed directly at it but it's definitely black as can be seen in most of jude's pictures/video and gavin's photos with the silver knob.. a nice black finish too I think.  

Oct 9, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #2,082 of 13,800
Yeah... I gotta agree it looks out of place, it's cut right into the middle of that acrylic strip.

Heck.. if they made it a bit higher and place it right in the middle of the strip i wouldn't have as much problem as where it is now.... oh well.

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #2,084 of 13,800
Yeah that's a screw-up. Though LH won't admit it. They're in spin/damage-control mode.
It was actually in one of the designs that someone made in the LH forums, so that was done on purpose to keep it similar to that design, which got a lot of votes for I believe.

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #2,085 of 13,800

The reason the XLR jack ended up in the wrong place is a screw-up by whoever was responsible for the mechanical design. Someone gave the green light to continue even though it wasn't right. The product was rushed even though they spent a year on it.  A damn shame if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back