Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Sep 19, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #1,998 of 13,800
  Knob notwithstanding, I reckon it's looking good so far.  Shame we can't see the full chassis, but I like the clean faceplate.  It's very cool to have the oled display...hoping it'll show us sampling/resolution info as well as volume.

The chassis had to be redesigned on the LPS to solve a heat issue so I imagine that's why we can't see it in this shot, it might not be ready yet.

Sep 19, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #1,999 of 13,800
Knob is temporary and not final

geek_pulse_x_on_bench.jpg

Hmmm better than expected. They should post this kind of progress on their Facebook instead of the "Geek Out $199" + pick random picture of the two available. =)

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #2,000 of 13,800
gavin posted pics of the entire thing.. backplate is black too!  also larry said the oled will be white text not blue, the blue is just a sample they had.  Also they said black screws will be used not silver.  I love it!  ready to incorporate it into my setup!

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #2,003 of 13,800
I think they said you push in the volume knob then turn it to change input, gain, crossfeed.

Ok guys let the nitpicking begin!  But I think this is the final design with no time to make changes so everything you say will make Larry cry hot tears of pain.

Ok here are the nitpicks my friends came up with on irc:

1:  1/4" headphone jack should be higher to match xlr jack, they could have used a spacer to raise it but keep it pcb mount

2:  since the oled isn't that wide, they should have moved the knob and headphone ports closer to the center

3.  screws should not be phillips head and instead a flat type and black

4. their melfs don't have enough thermal inertia????  my electronics friend said this I don't know what it is

5. knob blows

Sep 19, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #2,004 of 13,800
I really like the sharp chamfered edges.  to me it makes it look muscular and industrial kind of like the old kawasaki ninja or the mv agusta brutale

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #2,006 of 13,800
Hi, want to update pics posted by Larry a few hours ago.

Larry: 

Hi, Force

Here are the pictures. Totally 4 configurations: Geek Pulse X, Geek Pulse X FI (Femto + Amp upgrade), Geek Pulse S, and Geek Pulse S FI... 
wink.png

Test already began. Posting pictures now...

This is a close up for Geek Pulse X Fi... You could see 4 routes of total balance output with Dual mono ESS DAC there.

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #2,007 of 13,800
Glad to see some pictures of the X Fi boards. Maybe in a month or 2 I can start thinking of clearing a spot on my desk for mine. I backed this I think on the day after Thanks Giving and kind of planned for it to take up to a year so we're surprisingly close to that schedule. :)

Sep 26, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #2,009 of 13,800
No rush for me. I'd rather have a bug-free, fully working and great sounding product than something released on time. I would even prefer not being in the first batch to be safe. If my PCB says v1.2 I sleep better at night =)

I am so utterly disappointed by you. As a Windoze user, you should have trained yourself to sleep only after v3 has been released.
deadhorse.gif

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #2,010 of 13,800
First 100 geek pulse boards being made at assembly house.. I guess they then ship them to LH Labs who puts them in the enclosures.. then on to the customer.. so close to shipping.  Hopefully they work out all the kinks in the geek pulse so my geek pulse x is perfect :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back