Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Sep 9, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #1,982 of 13,800
A couple of random thoughts: 

Comparing the number of components between components is meaningless, especially if one uses primarily SMD parts and one uses full-size parts. Also, the Pulse board doesn't include the PSU, which is separate. 

It wouldn't surprise me if this didn't end up a year late. As much as I agree about LHLabs having bitten off more than they can chew, more than anything I'd not want to be them right now. They have to live with their reputation. We can just say "I want a refund" and bail out. 
smile.gif

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #1,984 of 13,800

Comparing the number of components between components is meaningless, especially if one uses primarily SMD parts and one uses full-size parts. Also, the Pulse board doesn't include the PSU, which is separate. 

I couldn't agree more, and was surprised that anyone thought there was some correlation between the number of components on the board and the quality of the circuit. If anything, its the opposite of what was being said, the fewer parts needed to make a circuit perform at a high level, the better.

Certainly in high-end circles, simpler is always viewed as better, because each and every part on the board has it's own inherent noise/distortion characteristics, the more you add the more there is. There's also an additive effect with heat, and thus distortion, nearly every part will contribute to this. The fewer parts you have, the better the layout can be and more room between parts generally means less thermally induced distortion.

And last but not least, as @Currawong noted, there is no PSU in the main Pulse chassis, it is external. So apples to oranges as compared to the layouts of many other circuits that are using the main chassis to also house the PSU, the Pulse design is superior in that respect too, external PSU is almost always markedly better sounding for a variety of reasons.

I for one hope we keep seeing pictures of sparsely populated Pulse boards (std; S, and X) that show a whole lot of empty real estate, all the better for sound quality.

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #1,985 of 13,800

I couldn't agree more, and was surprised that anyone thought there was some correlation between the number of components on the board and the quality of the circuit. If anything, its the opposite of what was being said, the fewer parts needed to make a circuit perform at a high level, the better.

Certainly in high-end circles, simpler is always viewed as better, because each and every part on the board has it's own inherent noise/distortion characteristics, the more you add the more there is. There's also an additive effect with heat, and thus distortion, nearly every part will contribute to this. The fewer parts you have, the better the layout can be and more room between parts generally means less thermally induced distortion.

And last but not least, as @Currawong noted, there is no PSU in the main Pulse chassis, it is external. So apples to oranges as compared to the layouts of many other circuits that are using the main chassis to also house the PSU, the Pulse design is superior in that respect too, external PSU is almost always markedly better sounding for a variety of reasons.

I for one hope we keep seeing pictures of sparsely populated Pulse boards (std; S, and X) that show a whole lot of empty real estate, all the better for sound quality.

I agree with @Currawong as I mentioned the PSU observation back on page 131 post #1963!

Sep 11, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #1,986 of 13,800
Here are a few thoughts reading through the few recent pages.

1. Number of components =/= sound quality. It's all about how they are implemented, a designer can break down all the chips and op-amps into a bunch of resistor, cap, and transistors and occupies the entire board, but it doesn't mean it will sound better.

2. MSRP is what the manufacture believe what it should be sold for, and let's be honest here, in today's market, do we buy more items based off of their MSRP or the street price more often?

3. Larry has added a few more components/changes into the final design phase of the circuits. The Geek Pulse current in production is not the same as the one as what was originally when the campaign ended.  I am not sure if the new MSRP has considered all those changes or not, but it's something to consider.

But honestly thought, it seems that more and more manufacturers are jumping into the better C/P factor audio equipment market, I, off course does not know how well they will fair against their competition when the product is finally release... but only time will tell.

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #1,989 of 13,800
Updates for the Geek Pulse:
Update 9/16/2014: We're getting close to the beginning of Geek Pulse deliveries! All we're waiting on now is the OLED screens. As you know, we'll be getting a batch of those on the 28th of this month.

Larry has been busy taking measurements of Geek Pulse to ensure that the boards we're getting in from the assembly house are passing muster. He's published those measurements here. Please have a look!

Measurements:
http://lhlabs.com/force/indiegogogeekpulse/1943-gpu-002-is-ready-start-testing?start=25#31644
Hi, Everyone

Here is the first complete testing report of production version of Geek Pulse. (with Femto and Amp upgrade option on)
Pretty amazing.

Testing environment and condition: Audio Precision APX-525. Calibrated in 10-July-2014. with Bandwidth options to measure up to 1M Hz.

Condition: Line-out: Load 100K, Bandwidth up to 90K Hz. (important, usually people only measure to 20K Hz)
Headphone: Load 300 Ohm, Bandwidth up to 90K Hz.

Testing Units: Geek Pulse with FI option and pair with Geek LPS 110V/60 Hz. (We didn't use switching power here)

Line Out Level: 2.25V. Chanel balance is perfect.
LineOutLevel.jpg

THD+N is pretty amazing....
THDNRatioLine.jpg

Signal to Noise Ratio...
SignaltoNoiseRatio.jpg

Frequency Response (-3dB by Analog filter set near 50K Hz. 2nd Bessel Filter. )
FrequencyResponse.jpg

Cross Talk --- Left and Right are almost complete separated (Test @ 1K Hz, -0dBFs)
Crosstalk.jpg
Let's see the Headphone results.

Normal Gain Setting: Output = 3V rms.
HeadphoneLevel.jpg

SNR
SignaltoNoiseRatioHeadphone.jpg

THD... Still amazing.
THDNRatio20-20k-headphone.jpg

Static Noise level...
StaticNoiseLevel.jpg
^ read: sensitive headphone and earphone friendly! (not like the Geek Out); 3 VRMS output seems really low for a desktop amplifier though (562.5 mW output at 16 Ω)

A little bit more deeper....

Harmonic Distortion Ratio: One of the most important thing I love to "see" how does this unit sound...

FFT... Of course, another important chart for Geeky people. No 60Hz/120/240 noise there, completely. Noise Floor is at -150dB or lower.

The other one I like to check: IMD. SMPTE ratio, testing under 60Hz and 7K herz, ratio at 4:1.
Jitter performance... Actually, something we could see from the "skirt" around 1K center frequency. Reminding: This is the femto clock performance.
1KFFTFemto.jpg

And let me attached one more FFT from the TXCO... Skirt is a little bit wider, and have two minor spikes. But still nice.
1KFFTFoxClock.jpg

Enjoy!

Extra quote regarding the DAC performance
We will know by Friday... :wink:

Also, ESS people are quite amazing for our Geek Pulse's result too. Because our test results are from real life...

Nice figures Larry!

I wonder if the X and S variations will achiveve the 127db SNR advertised in the ESS product page (www.esstech.com/PDF/ES9018-2M%20PB%20Rev%200.8%20130619.pdf) ... It would show a clear advantage of the balanced/differential design over the Pulse, even with the femto and op-amp upgrades... Although 118db is very very good for the single ended version

Noise floor, distortion and crosstalk values (the ones I understand the best) are very impressive...

Quote about the harmonic distortion ratios
The structure almost complete cancel out 2nd harmonic due to "full balance" structure. So when sum up at the output stage, it cancel out the 2nd harmonics.

The more important thing is: You could see a sky clear HD above 5th. No high order distortion is a must for great sound. (Quote from John Curl or Pass or?) And I also found this truth about 12 years ago.

*Pulse f/i = Geek Pulse with femto clock and internal amp upgrade

Sep 19, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #1,990 of 13,800
Knob is temporary and not final

geek_pulse_x_on_bench.jpg

Sep 19, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #1,992 of 13,800
Knob notwithstanding, I reckon it's looking good so far.  Shame we can't see the full chassis, but I like the clean faceplate.  It's very cool to have the oled display...hoping it'll show us sampling/resolution info as well as volume.

Sep 19, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #1,993 of 13,800
its taking shape !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back