Future Sonics Atrio MG7 Review and Appreciation thread
Jan 21, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #61 of 1,216
I wasn't impressed with them at the first moment either. They grew on me later - especially in the bass department.
I didn't notice any sibilance (no ssss in vocals), but what you mean can be the harsh upper midrange (5000 khz) - I had to push it down with the EQ to really enjoy the music.

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #62 of 1,216

Quote:
Got mine today, not impressed so far. Really hoping these sound better after burn-in.

Kloan 
I know its pre burn in, but what don't you like about them so far

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #63 of 1,216
Sounds like fit issues to me.  I experienced a lot of difficulty the first time around with the MG7's in finding the right tip and fit combination.  Bad fit will cause an exacerbation of sibilance and of course alter treble/bass response. 

I found the Shure Olives to be a poor choice as it absolutely killed treble response for me.  I suspect the foam was folding over the opening once inserted in the ear.  I've found the FS black foams they come with now to be excellent at allowing a deeper insertion that's very comfortable and soft and at the same time it doesn't affect the treble response b/c the plastic tube in the tip goes all the way to the end to prevent foam from folding over the tube.  I also think the FS foams absorb any upper mid/lower treble resonance that can be experienced with silicone for some.

Knowing how to fit them the second time around resulted in great sound instantly and I have not experienced any changes in the hours I've put on them.

Then again the signature isn't for everyone...

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #64 of 1,216
Thanks for the clarification Shane. Do you consider these more "V' shaped?

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #66 of 1,216

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Shane. Do you consider these more "V' shaped?

I'd say more U shaped.  V shaped sigs tend to have a lot of mid bass.  Vocals are further back when I do a direct a/b with a more mid centric sound, like the RE262 or Merlin, but if not doing a direct a/b, I do not find vocals recessed or placed back in the presentation but pretty centered.

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #67 of 1,216

Quote:
I'd say more U shaped.  V shaped sigs tend to have a lot of mid bass.  Vocals are further back when I do a direct a/b with a more mid centric sound, like the RE262 or Merlin, but if not doing a direct a/b, I do not find vocals recessed or placed back in the presentation but pretty centered.

Shane, are the M5's in the same tier as FXT90? In other words,  are they just as impressive but of course in a different way as the FXTs?

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #68 of 1,216

Quote:
Ordered these yesterday.
At 50% off, joker's review = SQ of 8.8 and 8.5 value (and that reflects price of $175).

At $99 that 8.5 value would probably shoot to a 9+ value.

Quote:
Shane, are the M5's in the same tier as FXT90? In other words,  are they just as impressive but of course in a different way as the FXTs?

Yes I'd put them in the same tier but impressive different ways.  I sent you some more info in response to your PM.

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #69 of 1,216
I ordered these on a whim because of the 50% off discount code that still worked a few days ago. I received them yesterday and I also had the M5 version 2 with the MG5 driver but sold it a long time ago. From what I remember, I was very impressed with the bass but the mids and treble were pushed too far back. It wasn't my cup of tea.

When I opened the packaging, the medium dual flange tips were already on them and I managed to get a fit but I had to adjust and readjust in order to  get a good fit. Flash back from when I had the MG5's. I then tried the black foam tips and it was easier to get a good fit but I still had to adjust them. I also tried sensorcom tips, shure black foam tips, and then I tried my westone um56 custom tips. Wow.

Out of all of the universal tips, I like the black foams for their comfort and sound, but the UM56 tips made and immediate difference. I can quickly and easily take them in and out of my ear (unlike my westone iems) and of course, I always get a perfect fit.

I haven't burned them in but with the UM56 tips I can literally feels the bass in my ear canals. Something the universal tips couldn't do for me. I also noticed the treble is more forward and sounds brighter but I detect no sibilance. From memory, the mg5's treble was much more subdued. The mids on the MG7 sound fuller and pushed forward a bit more, where as the MG5's mids were pushed further back and sounded more hollow. Soundstage is much better with the UM56 tips as it increases the distance from the transducer to my eardrum. Which for me, creates a very pleasant psycho-acoustic effect.

I'm going to let them burn in for a while and report back.

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #70 of 1,216
Nice impressions. I have um56 custom tips too and they indeed sound the best. I tend to use the black foams more often, as I prefer the ease of pulling them in and out on the go. But as I get used to wearing my custom Merlin more and more I will probably migrate to the um56 tips more as well. 

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #71 of 1,216

Quote:
I ordered these on a whim because of the 50% off discount code that still worked a few days ago. I received them yesterday and I also had the M5 version 2 with the MG5 driver but sold it a long time ago. From what I remember, I was very impressed with the bass but the mids and treble were pushed too far back. It wasn't my cup of tea.

When I opened the packaging, the medium dual flange tips were already on them and I managed to get a fit but I had to adjust and readjust in order to  get a good fit. Flash back from when I had the MG5's. I then tried the black foam tips and it was easier to get a good fit but I still had to adjust them. I also tried sensorcom tips, shure black foam tips, and then I tried my westone um56 custom tips. Wow.

Out of all of the universal tips, I like the black foams for their comfort and sound, but the UM56 tips made and immediate difference. I can quickly and easily take them in and out of my ear (unlike my westone iems) and of course, I always get a perfect fit.

I haven't burned them in but with the UM56 tips I can literally feels the bass in my ear canals. Something the universal tips couldn't do for me. I also noticed the treble is more forward and sounds brighter but I detect no sibilance. From memory, the mg5's treble was much more subdued. The mids on the MG7 sound fuller and pushed forward a bit more, where as the MG5's mids were pushed further back and sounded more hollow. Soundstage is much better with the UM56 tips as it increases the distance from the transducer to my eardrum. Which for me, creates a very pleasant psycho-acoustic effect.

I'm going to let them burn in for a while and report back.

My understanding is to use foam to attenuate harsh treble and maximize bass. Wouldn't the MG7 sound better with standard tips to bring out treble while not creating greater quantity bass or even a boomie sound?

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #72 of 1,216
With my UM56 tips, there is more sub-bass presence, but it is clean, hard hitting, and has it's own sense of space. With the foam tips, the sub bass was less noticeable. To me, with any of the tips I've tried, I have never noticed any harsh treble or sibilance.

edit. the shure black foams attenuated the treble for me which I didn't really like.
Quote:
My understanding is to use foam to attenuate harsh treble and maximize bass. Wouldn't the MG7 sound better with standard tips to bring out treble while not creating greater quantity bass or even a boomie sound?

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #73 of 1,216

Quote:
With my UM56 tips, there is more sub-bass presence, but it is clean, hard hitting, and has it's own sense of space. With the foam tips, the sub bass was less noticeable. To me, with any of the tips I've tried, I have never noticed any harsh treble or sibilance.

edit. the shure black foams attenuated the treble for me which I didn't really like.

UM56 tips it is. What is the site to order these?

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #74 of 1,216
You would have to go to an authorized westone audiologist. A dealer can be found here. They will take your impressions and send them to westone on your behalf. You will be able pick them up from the audiologist as well. From what I have read prices can very from each dealer so it might not be worthwhile. If you do, I would highly recommend getting the ottoblast material as it is the only material that doesn't shrink over time.

1964 ears is also another option. They charge $100 for the custom tips but you will have to send them your impressions and your earphones.

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #75 of 1,216

Quote:
Ordered these yesterday.
At 50% off, joker's review = SQ of 8.8 and 8.5 value (and that reflects price of $175).

Good Luck olear!!! I'm close to getting these also. Like I tell you, you won;t know until you hear them, but the only thing holding me back is the few comments of Midbass, anyways for that price
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back