Future Sonics Atrio MG7 Review and Appreciation thread
Jan 22, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #97 of 1,216
I recently tried the Shure and Westone triple flange tips but I already modded them to dual flange tips but cutting off the top flange. They're sturdier than the sensorcom tips and I get a great seal without making multiple adjustments. The MG7's sound impressive with these tips.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-EA306-Triple-Flange-Sleeves/dp/B000F657DY

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #98 of 1,216

Quote:
I recently tried the Shure and Westone triple flange tips but I already modded them to dual flange tips but cutting off the top flange. They're sturdier than the sensorcom tips and I get a great seal without making multiple adjustments. The MG7's sound impressive with these tips.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-EA306-Triple-Flange-Sleeves/dp/B000F657DY

Rip Killer Avatar. I just noticed what it is!! Hey is the Nozzle the same size as Westone/Shure?

I'm looking forward to olear giving his impressions too. Then I'll PM him a couple hundred times 
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #99 of 1,216
Thanks!. I saw it online somewhere and I instantly knew that I had to use it as my avatar. The nozzle is the same size and all of the tips from Westone and Shure can be used with the MG7. For some reason, I do find it harder to get a good fit with universal tips used on the Atrio.

Quote:
Rip Killer Avatar. I just noticed what it is!! Hey is the Nozzle the same size as Westone/Shure?

I'm looking forward to olear giving his impressions too. Then I'll PM him a couple hundred times 
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #100 of 1,216
Hi there! newb here.

Glad to see some more talk about the MG7's.
Got my pair 2wks ago with the 50% disc.

I'll hold back on my full review here as I've only got 30+ hrs on them.
But so far:
- sibilance: still getting some sibilance here both male and female.
- bass: overall is great, but I actually expected a bit more. I suppose I'm too much of a bass head, glad I didn't go with the TF10 which was next on my list.
- treble extension: not sure if it's flat up there, on one side there is sibilance (6-8K?), but I think there needs to be more "air", so perhaps the stuff above 10KHz

I'm listening to FLAC files burned from CD's, played on my Sansa Zip listening for 30min each day to and from work.
I'm using the large FS silicone tips, the medium ones didn't seal enough and the bass was gone.

I guess I got large ear canals, the foams are not too good for me; the medium ones are too small, the large ones too large.
The large silicone tips are okay, a bit painful at first but I got used to them over several days.

This is my most expensive and 1st in ears headphone. I have a few other low-mid range Senns and PK-3 earbuds.
So far so good the MG7 is definitely better, but still hoping things will improve.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #101 of 1,216
I also had a very hard time getting a good fit and have settled in with the black FS foams, but the casing is still too large for my ears after a few hours.  However, for stage monitoring on drums & bass, their sound signature can't be beat in their price range.  Luckily that 50% off coupon applies to everything on atrio.me except the Ear Monitors proper, so I have a pair of half-off custom sleeves in manufacturing right now!

I know there's been some discussion on the UM56 tips, but keep in mind that the UM56s are canal-only tips and the Future Sonics Softerwear sleeves are full-ear tips, so may provide better isolation (and for me, better comfort, since contact with the casing is what's bothering me).  I made a shallow pair of makeshift customs tips using a custom ear plug kit (http://www.radians.com/main/p-282-radians-custom-molded-earplugs.aspx) and a Dremel tool, and even though the end result was pitiful, the modest improvement in canal coupling was enough to totally change my perception of some synth bass tracks I've had for years.  Hopefully the custom tips will tide me over until I can save up for a pair of mg6pros or Merlins (shotgunshane, I eagerly await your comparison!)

As a warning, if you go for custom tips through atrio.me for the coupon code, you may need to be prepared to be patient... I placed my order and paid 12-18, sent off my impressions on 01-03, and though they arrived on 01-06, it took until 01-13 for atrio.me to get my order information to Future Sonics so that they could begin production.  I also made the (apparent) mistake of shipping my impressions directly to Future Sonics.  I don't know what the proper procedure was supposed to have been, but my mistake could have contributed to the delay.  Fortunately the folks at Future Sonics (especially David Gray) are all kinds of awesome and took care of everything for me (a 23-email chain! such patience).

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #102 of 1,216
Yes. The coupon for brand new Atrio mg7 and custom sleeves is an absolute steal.  I just received my sleeves today, and these are my second pair.  The first pair, which I purchased a year ago never fit right despite the refit I had done, and in the end there wasn't much I could do because FS said that's the way my impressions were.  I don't recommend reusing the same ear impressions from a prior project as that is what I did and I think the first custom reshell made had altered the original impression when it was taken by an audiologist.  In fact, my first custom sleeve sounded worse than the foams, which were my favorite stock tips. 

I too ordered in the middle of December and sent my impression to FS in Penn. as that's what was instructed on the order form.  The atrio.me operation is far from refined and far from the customer service standards of FS USA.  David at FS had to get of hold of the guys at atrio.me to get things rolling, which I appreciated very much after I placed my order and after weeks went by, nothing happened.  Strangely, David had to send my impression to atrio.me, but the package I received today was from  David at FS.  All I know is that the difference between my prior impressions are like night and day, and I love them.  If you can get the custom sleeves for 50%, I highly recommend it and save some cash on the long run as those foam tips, especially the black ones wears out way too fast. 

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #103 of 1,216

Quote:
Yes. The coupon for brand new Atrio mg7 and custom sleeves is an absolute steal.  I just received my sleeves today, and these are my second pair.  The first pair, which I purchased a year ago never fit right despite the refit I had done, and in the end there wasn't much I could do because FS said that's the way my impressions were.  I don't recommend reusing the same ear impressions from a prior project as that is what I did and I think the first custom reshell made had altered the original impression when it was taken by an audiologist.  In fact, my first custom sleeve sounded worse than the foams, which were my favorite stock tips. 

I too ordered in the middle of December and sent my impression to FS in Penn. as that's what was instructed on the order form.  The atrio.me operation is far from refined and far from the customer service standards of FS USA.  David at FS had to get of hold of the guys at atrio.me to get things rolling, which I appreciated very much after I placed my order and after weeks went by, nothing happened.  Strangely, David had to send my impression to atrio.me, but the package I received today was from  David at FS.  All I know is that the difference between my prior impressions are like night and day, and I love them.  If you can get the custom sleeves for 50%, I highly recommend it and save some cash on the long run as those foam tips, especially the black ones wears out way too fast. 

That's awesome you guys are able to get the custom sleeves for 50% off !!

I will just have to stick to the Atrio foams, which I love anyway. I keep two pairs in rotation at a time as I wash the pair in use each week and that sits there drying while I use the second pair. Each pair is lasting me about 8-10 weeks so I really can't whinge about the cost.

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #104 of 1,216

Quote:

So how much did the custom sleeves (w/ 50% off) + audiologist fitting + shipping, etc cost you total?

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #105 of 1,216
With my current custom sleeves about $110 ($84.99 includes shipping + $20 for self impression kit + $5 to ship impression to FS).  My first iteration, I used the 20% coupon that was included with my new Atrio at the time, so $55 for audiologist + $130 includes shipping + $5 to ship impressions to FS totaled $190.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back