Future Sonics Atrio MG7 Review and Appreciation thread
Jan 19, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #46 of 1,216
The wind blowing was definitely not fun on my face...
frown.gif
. I do realize that electronics can give you trouble in extreme temperature such as this, but as soon as the MG7 failed me I went to using the um3x and it worked fine. Still, I'll probably not use the MG7 again in cold weather.

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #47 of 1,216
It still surprises me that such a robust product can fail in the way that it did.
If it was me, I would actually use the replacement set in the cold weather just to test whether the original was a one-off dud. It happens and as I mentioned, it's the first time I have ever heard of a set of Atrio's breaking.

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #48 of 1,216
The plastic probably can't withstand such cold temperatures.. likely made the plastic brittle.

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #50 of 1,216
Well at 109.99 I decided I had to try these out. They will be my most expensive IEM to date (Not sure how long that will last). They have been ordered I will share my thoughts once I get them.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #51 of 1,216

Quote:
Well at 109.99 I decided I had to try these out. They will be my most expensive IEM to date (Not sure how long that will last). They have been ordered I will share my thoughts once I get them.

They may be your most expensive but relatively speaking, this is just a crazy bargain price.
I paid AU$159+shipping for mine (I live in Australia and we get nothing for cheap!) and I couldn't be happier!

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #53 of 1,216
I just hope they ship them out pretty fast would love to get them next week.

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #54 of 1,216

Quote:
I just hope they ship them out pretty fast would love to get them next week.

Took about 10 days from order to delivery, from Ontario to California.

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #55 of 1,216
Probably a little faster for me as it would be Ontario to Kansas but I don't think they were shipped today even though I ordered them at like 8am. So will likely be early the week after.

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #56 of 1,216
Got mine today, not impressed so far. Really hoping these sound better after burn-in.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #57 of 1,216
I'm sorry to hear that, they definitely "wowed" me the first time i heard them, and i found that the burn in process smoothed out the sound, but nothing drastically different from my first listen.
You may want to try different tips, i am lucky enough that the double flange silicone tips are a perfect for me. Other ppl, not so much, and one thing they lack is a good variety of tips, so try some aftermarket tips, perhaps some shure soft flex, olive foams, etc, i believe there is a dedicated thread on just the tips alone since many ppl have issues with the stock atrio tips. Plz do give them more time, or at least let yourself adjust to their sound, because i do find them to sound spectacular.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/536912/review-future-sonics-atrios-comparison-between-different-tips

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #58 of 1,216

Quote:
Got mine today, not impressed so far. Really hoping these sound better after burn-in.

Sorry to hear that. What don't you like about them? If you share more info, maybe we can give some suggestions.

I agree that the Atrio is probably one of the most tip dependant IEMs on the market.

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #59 of 1,216
I'm comparing them to the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers. I find the Atrio sound a bit more plain in comparison. Vocals sound a bit further away, and thinner. I've noticed sibilance with a variety of music (EDM, metal, rock) which I find very surprising since I haven't read any review that mentioned that. Overall they just sound less vibrant as the Coppers. The sub bass isn't as impressive as I was expecting either.

I have tried many different tips: Klipsch ovals, Shure Olives, Comply Foams, modified Sony hybrids, and of course the supplied tips. I've settled on the Shure Olives for now, as they're the only ones that give me a proper seal and still sound ok.

All in all, they just sound kinda boring to me.. dunno why. I'm really starting to think I just don't like dynamic earphones anymore. I've grown accustomed to the 'gentler' sound of BA earphones.

I'll give them a bit more time. Sometimes I just have a 'bad earphone' day where everything I listen to sounds like crap... lol :D

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #60 of 1,216
I'm surprised at some of the experiences that are so different to the general experience of the Atrio's.
Sibilance is present in very small amounts for up to the first 25hrs then it's gone.
In terms of sub-bass, I don't know what to say really. Atrio's have the reputation of the market leader in tuning the bass frequencies which gives great depth and fantastic texture/control and also seperation.

The Shure olives are definitely not a good match IMO. These will definitely bloat the bass which would ruin the bass, this could explain your disappointment with the bass.
Did the stock foam tips give you a good seal? Most people find these to provide the best sound quality from the Atrio's. They will go pretty deep into the ear canal and this is when you get the full impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back