++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #28,579 of 29,490
Quote:
Any particular reason to take pro900 over the ws99? Aren't there issues with overly sibilant highs/recessed mids in the pro900? Both have very nice bass, but the balancing of the 900 seems rather poor. Can you give your .02?

i have not found my pro900 to be sibilant, with the jmoneypads. :p
recessed mids, i just put my amp to high gain and its taken care of.
sounds crazy, but i would listen to classicals on my pro900.. its superb.

just giving u my experience with the pro900....
havent heard the w99.

May 15, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #28,580 of 29,490
Quote:

At $60, he will love the V6, especially if he doesn't have much exposure to the audiophile headphone world. Stick with that.

Ugh, I have no idea why I didn't think of this, but how much more would the V6s cost in Canada? That's going to seriously mess up what he can get, isn't it? And by in Canada, I mean the remote parts of Canada, like Newfoundland (totally remote).

May 16, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #28,581 of 29,490
Hey All,

Audiophile new to the forum here. Trying to fix my current headphone problem. I recently bought a pair of m50's to do some mixing and even a bit of live DJ'ing with. However, I wanted them to become my go-to headphone for listening, and I hate to say that I can't wear them for an extended period of time. I've tried stretching them and everything, but they give me a headache after a few minutes. I was going to replace the earpads but the pain I have is right in the middle of my head.

Open to any suggestions here. Basically, I'm looking for a headphone thats similar/ a little better then the m50. As long as they are as flat as my price range ( around 200) can allow them to be, swivels in at least one ear, and is over ear closed back, I think they would work.

Please let me know, and thanks in advance.

Travis

May 16, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #28,582 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey All,

Audiophile new to the forum here. Trying to fix my current headphone problem. I recently bought a pair of m50's to do some mixing and even a bit of live DJ'ing with. However, I wanted them to become my go-to headphone for listening, and I hate to say that I can't wear them for an extended period of time. I've tried stretching them and everything, but they give me a headache after a few minutes. I was going to replace the earpads but the pain I have is right in the middle of my head.

Open to any suggestions here. Basically, I'm looking for a headphone thats similar/ a little better then the m50. As long as they are as flat as my price range ( around 200) can allow them to be, swivels in at least one ear, and is over ear closed back, I think they would work.

Travis

So, it's not even ear pain? Are you sure you should be wearing headphones at all?

May 16, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #28,583 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey All,

Travis

Taking you description of your problem as both serious and accurate, it is probably attributable to the head band.  Comfort is a very individual thing.  So you'll just have to try on other cans that catch your interest.

Can't help you much beyond that as the M50 sound signature is not among my favorites.  I have even more limited experience when it comes to DJ style headphones with that sound signature.

May 16, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #28,584 of 29,490
May 16, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #28,585 of 29,490
Hi all, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD201s and an elderly pair of Audio Technica ATH-T3s. I'm looking to possibly upgrade my full-size cans to something at the next level. I've a pair of AT ES55s which I like a lot and have heard a lot of good things on here on their bigger brother the M50. Would they be a good upgrade in the full-size department? I find the 201s make my ear area too hot and sweaty and the T3s have lost most of their earpad leather (and what's left ends up around my ears looking like black dandruff!) and tend to overheat my ears a bit whilst wearing those too. The T3s creak a lot in use too but I love the sound.

I listen to a wide variety of music from classical to pop, rock, 'chilled out' music but not a fan of hip hop, modern R 'n B, rap etc. Do like a good bassline though sometimes and I do find my ES55s lack a little sometimes in that department. Would the M50s be a good upgrade - any other recommendations? Budget would be around £50 (approx. $80) or so.

Edit: Would prefer closed or semi-closed as don't want to disturb my wife with what I'm listening to, or hear whatever rubbish she's watching on TV if I listen to something whilst she's watching a Midsomer Murders repeat!

Thanks! :)

May 16, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #28,586 of 29,490
Hi, just a new member lurking here :D I posted in the iem thread asking for recommendations, but would like to have some recommendations on headphones too, as I am either getting iems or headphones :D
My budget is around $500 SGD. For headphones, I would like a good soundstage. I will be using these for my laptop and my phone, hence it should be easy to drive without maxing out the volume. Sound signature wise, tight strong bass with clear vocals and detailed highs, also I am wearing spectacles hence comfort is a must.

I am looking at the sennheiser momentum and the vmoda m100s, I read reviews that the m100s are very easy to drive but for some reason it is very soft on my galaxy s3.. I am open to other suggestions too! Close and open, no preference, as long as it is loud enough without cranking up the volume.

May 16, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #28,587 of 29,490
Quote:
If you're used to really cheap ear/headphones, than this shouldn't be a problem. But if you have a somewhat decent headphone, I think you'll notice the mudiness.

That's my big dilemma! I don't know if the IEM that I use nowadays (the SE215) is way better than the Uptown, or if it is just slightly better, of even if its worse!
If it is really better, I don't think I will be buying the Uptowns. Do you really think they are not worth £56?
I saw some reviews putting them into the same standard as the Audio Technica's M50, and if it is true I think they sound quite well, and not far from the SE215.

Does anybody has another view on this? Thanks! 

May 16, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #28,588 of 29,490
Has anyone put some time into the Sol Republic Master Tracks? I really like the normal Sol Tracks V8 sound, so I'm hoping the Master Tracks are an audiophile-ish take on a headphone I already like.

Why not stick with the Tracks, you say? Well, they hurt my ears after 30-60 min.

Speaking of, had anyone compared Tracks vs V-Moda m80 in terms of comfort (not audio)? I bought a pair of those too and they should be here in a few days.

Thanks people!

May 16, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #28,589 of 29,490
I'm thinking about selling my HiFiMan HE500's and getting some Grado Rs1i's.  I feel like the HE500's sound too much like my Sen HD650's.  Is this a lateral move/move down?  I'm looking for something a bit different.

May 16, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #28,590 of 29,490
That's my big dilemma! I don't know if the IEM that I use nowadays (the SE215) is way better than the Uptown, or if it is just slightly better, of even if its worse!
If it is really better, I don't think I will be buying the Uptowns. Do you really think they are not worth £56?
I saw some reviews putting them into the same standard as the Audio Technica's M50, and if it is true I think they sound quite well, and not far from the SE215.

Does anybody has another view on this? Thanks! 

I don't know about the SE215, but the Uptowns sound quite different from the M50s. There are certainly some people that would like their sound more. They are also different build style, constructed mainly for comfort, although I would vote the M50s as likely more durable and more portable in their ability to fold up. Here in the US, they have also been significantly cheaper than the M50s. So while I would agree that the Uptowns have been a better price/performance value at £56 over the M50s which are probably twice as much to you, whether or not the Uptowns are better headphones overall than the M50s really are a personal preference thing. There are already some discussions debating that on head-fi if you want to dig in deeper on that topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back