++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 14, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #28,561 of 29,490
Quote:
So, I've pretty much decided that I need to limit my friend to sony headphones, because those can be found in practically any store, and they are the most likely to be in his style. What headphones do you think, under $60, would fit someone who wants punchy bass? Not overpowering bass, of course, but bass.

depends on the price since it's always fluctuating. The v6 does a nice job with crisp bass if you're stepping in.

May 15, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #28,562 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm looking for a pair of headphones to use at work (an office environment).  I'm gonna keep them in my cubicle area since I'm lazy and don't want to transport them back and forth, so I want to keep it at/under $100 to avoid losing out on too much should anything happen to them.  I'm interested in a neutral sound signature, possibly a bit dark, a la the Mad Dogs (which I love, but want to keep at home). 

I'd like them to be somewhat sound isolating since I don't want to bother anyone, but I don't listen to my music incredibly loud so even semi-open should be fine (not to mention it'd be ideal to hear if someone is calling me).  Comfort is pretty important since I'll likely be wearing them for hours, and I'll be running them from an iPod.  I do have an E11 if necessary, but the less cumbersome the setup the better.

Doing some research, I'm thinking maybe the SR440s or maybe even a stock pair of T50RPs.  The HD681 EVOs also seem like a good choice, but there isn't a whole lot of info about them.  A lot of the stuff I've seen sub-$100 seems either v-shaped or lacking in comfort, unfortunately, so I'm hoping you guys can point me in the direction of some other choices.

AKG k240s might be right up your alley if you listen at low volumes (semi open) rather neutral, but laid back treble gives the darker feel I believe would be right. Amping not necessary but recommended

BTW: supremely comfortable

May 15, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #28,563 of 29,490
Hey guys, 
Newcomer. Love the site. 
Still working my way into the world of high-fidelity audio. 

I'm looking for a good full-size headphone. 
I listen to Rock/Alternative/Classical/Jazz/Acoustic/Metal
I think what I'm after is something with really good soundstage and separation, as well as a more analytical, true-representation kinda sound, as a lot of the music I listen to, I like to transcribe (as I'm a musician)
I'd also like a pair thats reasonably well-built
My PC currently has a Creative "Fatal1ty" Champion soundcard with a 600-ohm headphone amp
Budget 400-600 australian dollars. 
Not really concerned if their open or closed. 

Thanks a lot!

May 15, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #28,565 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, 
Newcomer. Love the site. 
Still working my way into the world of high-fidelity audio. 

I'm looking for a good full-size headphone. 
I listen to Rock/Alternative/Classical/Jazz/Acoustic/Metal
I think what I'm after is something with really good soundstage and separation, as well as a more analytical, true-representation kinda sound, as a lot of the music I listen to, I like to transcribe (as I'm a musician)
I'd also like a pair thats reasonably well-built
My PC currently has a Creative "Fatal1ty" Champion soundcard with a 600-ohm headphone amp
Budget 400-600 australian dollars. 
Not really concerned if their open or closed. 

Thanks a lot!

DT 880, HD 600 or Q 701.

May 15, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #28,566 of 29,490
depends on the price since it's always fluctuating. The v6 does a nice job with crisp bass if you're stepping in.

Okay, but the V6 is a neutral monitor type headphone. Most people don't consider that fun (somehow).

So, here are a few things he wants:

1.wow factor
2.bass
3.durability
4.comfort
5.good with electronic music

Remembering he isn't an audiophile, what headphones should he get?
I also have the goal of making him an audiophile, so theres that :p

May 15, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #28,567 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys, first post here, though I've been lurking around these forums for quite a while now. I'm looking into buying a new pair of headphones.

Budget: Worth $200 or below.

Preferred Tonal Balance: I'm not a fan of extended bass. I'm more into neutral-sounding headphones with good instrument separation.

Preferred Type of Headphone: Over-ear / circumaural / closed-back headphones (I'm not good with the lingo). The ones that swallow-up your ears completely. I'm also looking for durability and a detachable cable feature.

Source: I'll mostly be plugging it into my iPod Touch or Laptop, and I don't use any DACs or amps.

Past Headphones: I currently use a pair of Superlux HD 661, and I'm now looking to upgrade.

Preferred Music: I don't have any particular genre, since I listen to pretty much everything (hence the neutral preference). Though I do have a rather large collection of orchestral, instrumentals (BGMs of various video games/anime/movies, and music used for movie trailers), rock, and a bit of dubstep.

I've narrowed down my choices to:
Logitech UE 6000
Pioneer HDJ-2000 (though it is a bit pricier than $200)
V-Moda Crossfade M-80 or LP2
KRK KNS8400

Any other recommendations would be great as well. I'm really looking for durability and a detachable cable since I have a tendency to easily break the cables and eventually the headbands. I'd appreciate any help!

Bump.

May 15, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #28,569 of 29,490
Quote:
Okay, but the V6 is a neutral monitor type headphone. Most people don't consider that fun (somehow).

So, here are a few things he wants:

1.wow factor
2.bass
3.durability
4.comfort
5.good with electronic music

Remembering he isn't an audiophile, what headphones should he get?
I also have the goal of making him an audiophile, so theres that :p

in relative to the cd900st, it ain't that neutral lol
Hmmm... maybe someone here can answer the question for you. They're neutral, but pretty good if he's coming in not having a preference towards/knowing colored sound. 
Hope someone can answer this question for you :s I'm thinking CAL since it's recced, but I haven't heard them or owned them personally. Otherwise it's a good all-rounder at $60. Sorry :/

May 15, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #28,571 of 29,490
Quote:
DT 880, HD 600 or Q 701.

Can't wait to get my HD 600 in the mail this week to see how they compete with those other two.

May 15, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #28,572 of 29,490
Quote:
in relative to the cd900st, it ain't that neutral lol
Hmmm... maybe someone here can answer the question for you. They're neutral, but pretty good if he's coming in not having a preference towards/knowing colored sound. 
Hope someone can answer this question for you :s I'm thinking CAL since it's recced, but I haven't heard them or owned them personally. Otherwise it's a good all-rounder at $60. Sorry :/

At $60, he will love the V6, especially if he doesn't have much exposure to the audiophile headphone world. Stick with that.

May 15, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #28,573 of 29,490
Quote:
If you have glasses, consider IEMs. Pretty much all closed headphones rely on a good seal to achieve its full capabilities.

If you're adamant about closed headphones though, perhaps the denon d2000 would serve your needs as a sub 350 can. It leaks a lot of sound, so its reasonable to infer that they do not seal, thus glasses would not be detrimental. They also have a solid bass response, for your electronic producing. Maybe also Ultrasone Pro 900s, reputed as king of trance in the sub 500 category.

Thanks for the reply! As for your IEM suggestion, I can't say I'm all that enthusiastic about them, but I'll at least look into it.

Ah, the Denon's seem great. Too bad they're not on the Canadian Amazon, which is where I'd buy them. Thanks for pointing out the Ultrasone's, I'll see if I can stretch my budget. Do the Ultrasone's need an amp, also? If anyone else has anymore suggestions for a pair of $350 closed, over the ear neutral headphones primarily for mixing EDM then it'd be much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back