++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 16, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #28,606 of 29,490
Quote:
What's the problem? No credit card? Buy a visa gift card or give a friend the cash to place the order. No address to ship to? Ship to a friend's house. Otherwise, with that and your other restrictions, makes it near impossible for anyone to help.

And "wow" factor for $60 with all those other restrictions? Very difficult.

His parents won't let him do any of those options. Kind of restricted, but gladly he goes off to college soon.  And Wow factor is very subjective, because  hes not an audiophile at all (at least not yet, but he wants to become one so he can actually understand this hobby of mine XD). Heck, detail alone would be a big "wow" to the average person.

May 16, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #28,607 of 29,490
I am an utter and complete novice when it comes to audiophilia (is that right?). My current set (http://goo.gl/Mk0AS Turtle Beach X12) is working fine, but I want something a little higher end, so I thought, If you want something done right, go to the pros. My budget is $80-$85 max, no higher than $90 once the mic is factored in. And yes, I do require a mic and good gaming quality. My options are: $50-$60 headphones + Antlion Modmic, $70-$80 Headphones + Zalman (or other clip-on), or $80-$90 Headset. Also, I want it to be semi-open or closed, as bleeding or leaking could be an issue, but some is alright. Suggestions? Which should I go for (I listen to the games, as well watch YouTube & listen to music a lot, too, but a decent mic is still wanted), or should I stick with the X12's?
While I have been getting some help elsewhere, this thread is a fair bit more active than most any others, so... Help. The two I am leaning towards are the Sony MDR V6 + Antlion Modmic, or the Skullcandy SLYR. So, which is better for gaming or are there any other better ones for the price?

May 16, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #28,608 of 29,490
Quote:
Edit: You know what, I think the list we've created for my friend is easily enough, there is no way he won't find something on the list:
CAL!s, Superlux HD 661, MDR-V6, Monoprice 8323, and as a last resort, a Sony MDR-XB#s. With how often I talk about headphones, I accidentally made him wonder how good headphones can sound, and I think one of these could show him where they can go c:

I think that everyone in this hobby should start off with the KSC75's. London drugs. $25. Sound silly good for their price. And then one day after he has spent way more money chasing his audio nirvana dream, he can come back to his ksc75's and wonder "why didn't I just stop here?" lol.

Or maybe the Sportapros for just a bit more $ (or $25 on ebay) and do these mods to make them potentially better than the ksc75's for him (more bass). He might have fun getting into the mods too (I know I will when I do them with my new sportapro's :).

Just a thought!

May 16, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #28,610 of 29,490
Quote:

I think that everyone in this hobby should start off with the KSC75's. London drugs. $25. Sound silly good for their price. And then one day after he has spent way more money chasing his audio nirvana dream, he can come back to his ksc75's and wonder "why didn't I just stop here?" lol.

Or maybe the Sportapros for just a bit more $ (or $25 on ebay) and do these mods to make them potentially better than the ksc75's for him (more bass). He might have fun getting into the mods too (I know I will when I do them with my new sportapro's :).

Just a thought!

Ahaha, yeah, he'd definitely be a modder type person. He loves messing around with stuff like that. I don't know if that's something he should start out on, though, seeing as he can't tell me what way the sound his headset leans towards. He doesn't even know if they're extra bassy then the norm!

Zaruk, I'm leaning towards the V6s, those can pull off music and gaming pretty well. I've never tried the SLYRs, though, so you never know...

May 16, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #28,611 of 29,490
I am always astonished by how much money people waste. This is particularly noticeable on enthusiast internet sites. The problem is, you can't criticize this type of behavior since you will be taunted as a "troll."

I've bought a couple of pair of headphones which were VERY highly rated by respected posters on this forum and they turned out to be complete garbage. :frowning2:

Sorry about my rant, but yes, the koss headphones listed are EXCELLENT and cost next to nothing!
Quote:

Just a thought!

May 16, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #28,612 of 29,490
Quote:
I am always astonished by how much money people waste. This is particularly noticeable on enthusiast internet sites. The problem is, you can't criticize this type of behavior since you will be taunted as a "troll."

I've bought a couple of pair of headphones which were VERY highly rated by respected posters on this forum and they turned out to be complete garbage. :frowning2:

Sorry about my rant, but yes, the koss headphones listed are EXCELLENT and cost next to nothing!

Well, when it comes to what is good, it is very subjective. A very huge amount of the population will hate higher end headphones, they just aren't tuned for the average person. Sometimes a higher end headphone is too detailed, and makes it so you can't just enjoy the music, too. There is a lot of reasons why someone might not like higher end headphones, but it is all very opinionated. Sometimes *cough*everytime*cough*  we can be swayed by reviews from others. Heck, someone posted that the 8323s, a $20 pair of headphones, sound like the HD 600s. I instantly got excited and was reaching for my wallet. Maybe if we just weren't so gullible as a whole, we wouldn't have so many problems. Of course price also takes a factor here. The more you pay for the headphones, the better it sounds to your ears (usually).

May 16, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #28,614 of 29,490
Quote:
You see, he can't buy online... Probably should have put that in that post and not just the one a few pages down the road :p

Ugh, this is getting impossible. Hes probably going to end up getting some $20 skullcrushers at this point :/

So, on the off chance someone can save him from that miserable fate, I'll restate everything:
1. Bass strong
2. comfortable
3. very durable
4. "wow" factor
6.  great with electronic music
7. Sold in Canada, for a max of $60 in their currency
9. Sold in Canadian STORES
10. Sold in Canadian middle of nowhere stores, in the newfoundland tundras that he describes as the "Florida of Canada" because all the rich people retire there. Electronics won't be as popular there.

Edit: You know what, I think the list we've created for my friend is easily enough, there is no way he won't find something on the list:
CAL!s, Superlux HD 661, MDR-V6, Monoprice 8323, and as a last resort, a Sony MDR-XB#s. With how often I talk about headphones, I accidentally made him wonder how good headphones can sound, and I think one of these could show him where they can go c:

How much are the Beyerdynamic DT-235 in Canada?  Maybe they would fit the budget.

May 16, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #28,616 of 29,490
I am an utter and complete novice when it comes to audiophilia (is that right?). My current set (http://goo.gl/Mk0AS Turtle Beach X12) is working fine, but I want something a little higher end, so I thought, If you want something done right, go to the pros. My budget is $80-$85 max, no higher than $90 once the mic is factored in. And yes, I do require a mic and good gaming quality. My options are: $50-$60 headphones + Antlion Modmic, $70-$80 Headphones + Zalman (or other clip-on), or $80-$90 Headset. Also, I want it to be semi-open or closed, as bleeding or leaking could be an issue, but some is alright. Suggestions? Which should I go for (I listen to the games, as well watch YouTube & listen to music a lot, too, but a decent mic is still wanted), or should I stick with the X12's?
While I have been getting some help elsewhere, this thread is a fair bit more active than most any others, so... Help. The two I am leaning towards are the Sony MDR V6 + Antlion Modmic, or the Skullcandy SLYR. So, which is better for gaming or are there any other better ones for the price?

Repost because this thread might provide a higher quantity of help.

May 16, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #28,618 of 29,490
I'll be sure to visit there. Thanks!
EDIT: Where exactly is this useful thread among all the other consulting firms in this area. What is it's address? I've got the Head-Fi city and zip right (Full Size, Head Fi City, Forums, Internet), I believe, but where are they? Yes, I consider the internet a nation.
Oh, you meant Mad Lust Envy! *facedesk*

May 16, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #28,619 of 29,490
Hey,

I'am looking to get some cheap price, may be even secondhand headphones to watch movies.

With Movies I guess the midrange is vital, so is the low end.
Mainly going to be used for movies, no musical requirements here.

I have tried the Sennheisser wireless ones, and they sound rubbish.
I know corded headphones are the way to go even with TV viewing.
Thanks in advance.

May 16, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #28,620 of 29,490
Quote:
I'll be sure to visit there. Thanks!
EDIT: Where exactly is this useful thread among all the other consulting firms in this area. What is it's address? I've got the Head-Fi city and zip right (Full Size, Head Fi City, Forums, Internet), I believe, but where are they? Yes, I consider the internet a nation.
Oh, you meant Mad Lust Envy! *facedesk*

Oh, sorry! I didn't think about you being a newcomer and all! Yes, the Gaming headphone thread by Mad Lust Envy is a great place to learn about gaming based headphones. Now, no one will be willing to suggest you a headset besides the SLYRs or the PC360s (the supposed only good headsets), but you will find a lot of people who know how headphones work with gaming there.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-4-30-13-koss-esp-950-added

Users who are viewing this thread

Back