++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 4, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #15,181 of 29,490
Quote:
Im gonna purchase a sennheiser HD 598 but it comes with no carrying case and you cant bend it, so I'm pretty sure it won't fit in other carrying cases. If you own an HD 598 or a similar model, how do you carry it around in your backpack without damaging it?

I own the HD555's and they're pretty tough, despite being plastic. As long you don't plan on throwing, sitting, or setting stuff on top of your backpack you'll be fine. They are definitely made for home use though. They leak far too much to be used out and about.

Jun 4, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #15,182 of 29,490
Hi, I just posted a new thread and didnt see this thread (sorry). I assume my thread will be locked so should probably post here!

I'm after some comfortable headphones to use for Movies and Music and the odd game, they will be used whilst travelling but Over-The-Ear is essential I cant get on with On-The-Ear ones at all for some reason. A great bass is a must as I'm going on a clubbing holiday this year and no doubt will want to listen to some bassy music whilst travelling there and back but I do also like Indie music.

I've owned the 205's before and liked the bass on them. They did get quite hot and ideally i'd like some with a detachable cable so I can use either a short or long cable with them. Noise Isolation will be pretty important for plane journeys. I;m looking to spend an absolute maximum of £100, but less ideally. I've seen the HD518's that look as though they *could* do it for me?

Sorry again for making a thread before seeing this one!

Jun 4, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #15,185 of 29,490
Quote:
Another question, looking to get the HD518s. I haven't seen many reviews around, but how do they compare to their big brothers, the HD558 and HD598?

Excellent line and a major upgrade from the 5x5 predecessors, which were not as good sonically and had cracking issues.  The 558 & 598 share the same driver.  Still the 518 is an excellent entry point.

Jun 4, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #15,186 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi, I just posted a new thread and didnt see this thread (sorry). I assume my thread will be locked so should probably post here!

I'm after some comfortable headphones to use for Movies and Music and the odd game, they will be used whilst travelling but Over-The-Ear is essential I cant get on with On-The-Ear ones at all for some reason. A great bass is a must as I'm going on a clubbing holiday this year and no doubt will want to listen to some bassy music whilst travelling there and back but I do also like Indie music.

I've owned the 205's before and liked the bass on them. They did get quite hot and ideally i'd like some with a detachable cable so I can use either a short or long cable with them. Noise Isolation will be pretty important for plane journeys. I;m looking to spend an absolute maximum of £100, but less ideally. I've seen the HD518's that look as though they *could* do it for me?

Sorry again for making a thread before seeing this one!

If you like a bass heavy sound the HD 518 (and both their bigger siblings) are not what you want.

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #15,187 of 29,490
Which Sennheiser headphone is for me???

I want:
-Good sound quality (thats what sennheisers are for right?)
-durability (Im gonna be taking it to lots of places, I would probably put it in my backpack or something
-Over the ear
-comfort

I was gonna purchase an HD 598 but people told me its a bad idea cause its fragile and is meant to be kept home

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #15,188 of 29,490
Quote:
Which Sennheiser headphone is for me???
I want:
-Good sound quality (thats what sennheisers are for right?)
-durability (Im gonna be taking it to lots of places, I would probably put it in my backpack or something
-Over the ear
-comfort
I was gonna purchase an HD 598 but people told me its a bad idea cause its fragile and is meant to be kept home

I own the Senn HD558's and I would not describe them as fragile, for durability I would put them closer to mid range (my Beyerdynamic's are tanks).
The plastic on the 558 & 598 is decently thick.
But I would not put them losely in a backpack.
Audio Technica ATH-M50 seem like better headphones for travel.

Jun 4, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #15,190 of 29,490
Ok last post (I think :D)
I'm ditching the 5** series and moving on to Beyer 990s
I've decided that inching forward on the headphone scale will only hurt in the long run, so I might as well indulge. I will be using these for gaming and music, gaming mostly because of Mad Lust Envy's thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-6-2-2012-ksc35-added-comfort-scores)
Unfortunately, there are two versions of the DT990s, the 32 Ohm and the 600ohm. Im not sure which one he reviewed, but the question is what is the difference between the 300 ohm and the 32 ohm on an astro mixamp?

Jun 4, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #15,191 of 29,490
Quote:
I've decided that inching forward on the headphone scale will only hurt in the long run, so I might as well indulge. I will be using these for gaming and music, gaming mostly because of Mad Lust Envy's thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-6-2-2012-ksc35-added-comfort-scores)
Unfortunately, there are two versions of the DT990s, the 32 Ohm and the 600ohm. Im not sure which one he reviewed, but the question is what is the difference between the 300 ohm and the 32 ohm on an astro mixamp?

Well, the 32 ohm can be easily drivin without an amp. The 300 ohm will need an amp but will sound better than the 32 ohm when amped.

Jun 4, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #15,192 of 29,490
Quote:

They also come in a 250 Ohm version.  Many folks find that to be the best option.

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #15,193 of 29,490
Hey guys,

I primarily listen to rock (mainly classic, but some grunge, hard and alternative), though I also enjoy classical, blues/jazz, down-tempo, trip-hop, and a little bit of acoustic. 

Basically, I'd like to know which all-rounder would be best-suited to my tastes (which I realize are kind of all over the place, sorry!) within the $200-$500 price bracket.

I'm asking because I feel like upgrading from my current headphones (D2000), as I find the mids to be too recessed (the vocals seem too distant and "sucked out" from the rest of the music).

My current system consists of HRT MSII -> Matrix M-stage -> D2000's, though I have no desire to upgrade my other components unless absolutely necessary.

Can anyone help me make a choice? 
normal_smile .gif

Thanks a lot!

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #15,194 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys,

I primarily listen to rock (mainly classic, but some grunge, hard and alternative), though I also enjoy classical, blues/jazz, down-tempo, trip-hop, and a little bit of acoustic. 

Basically, I'd like to know which all-rounder would be best-suited to my tastes (which I realize are kind of all over the place, sorry!) within the $200-$500 price bracket.

I'm asking because I feel like upgrading from my current headphones (D2000), as I find the mids to be too recessed (the vocals seem too distant and "sucked out" from the rest of the music).

My current system consists of HRT MSII -> Matrix M-stage -> D2000's, though I have no desire to upgrade my other components unless absolutely necessary.

Can anyone help me make a choice? 
normal_smile .gif

Thanks a lot!

Grado RS-2, Senn HD 650, D5000 and maybe the HiFiMAN HE-400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back