++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 5, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #15,211 of 29,490
Quote:
Again :D
I'm now looking to get AKG Q701s for primarily gaming instead of DT990s, but I've been reading a lot of mixed reviews. Some say it is just like the K701, others say it is a bit more bassier with a reduced sound stage. I rather pay for the bass as the K701 is lacking, but how would the DT990s stack up against the Q701s in gaming, music, and media?

What source(s) are you plugging your headphones into?
The DT990 have a "movie theater" type sound, full bass, full treble, nice sound stage, vocals are decent and clear.
I'm guessing the DT990 have more bass then the Q701 and the Q701 maybe stronger vocals then the DT990.
The DT990 Pro 250-ohm needs a decent amplifier that provides good voltage, like a tube or solid state.
The Q701 should do better with a solid stage or hybrid amp.
I'm guessing on the Q701 as I only own the DT990.

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #15,212 of 29,490
OK, jumping in here. Budget for cans, under 75USD if possible. I see a lot of recommendations in this thread, but I haven't spotted a recent one that meets what I'm looking for.

Needs: Closed ear - Home use on TV and PC - used 8+ hours a day. Yes, really. Frustrated guitar/bass player who still likes to be able to pick out the parts.

Uses - Movies, mostly, but heavy rock guitar based music, some classical and acoustic for critical listening. Dynamic range required. Comfort for long periods as well.
For instance, I need something that will handle Steve Vai's Live at the Astoria London version of "Bad Horsie" - His guitar is tuned down to C on that song, and is very tough to listen to unless the headphones have serious oomph. Also Billy Sheehan is playing bass on that DVD, and I want to hear him, then there is all of the audio sucking qualities of 3 guitars, and a rock drum kit recorded live. That's the extreme end of the spectrum basswise.

A palm-muted drop tuned guitar is hard to reproduce, I've found. That's what I'm looking for. I don't want those to sound crushed.

Current setup - Sony MDR 150's (I know, I know, but I've finally worn these out after about 5 years of super heavy use. They were comfortable and surprisingly durable so I hadn't given it much thought before discovering this site), run through a cheap set of amplified PC speakers with a headphone out (Temporary fix - Built-in sound card on the motherboard of my new computer under Windows 7 just does not have enough volume, had to do something, and I already had these. TV is fine from headphone output). I'll need a better amp (Fiio E6 any better than the speaker headphone out maybe?), but phones first. Home built A/B switch to go between sources.

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #15,213 of 29,490
My turn to ask :)

budget; $100 or less

music source:  ipod gen 5.5, many mp3's not best quality 128-320kps

Occasional home recording mixing on Sonar, mostly country

music likes: mostly classic country, some smooth jazz (dianna krall, larry carlton)  Occasional disco/funk for fun.  NO Trance/electronic, etc (I'm 63:)

I'm not a bass head, prefer clean punch. I'm very sensitive to harsh highs.

size:  I have big ears, sorry born that way :frowning2:  3 1/4 x 1 1/2 inches)  Don't make fun of me, had plenty of that as a kid !!

I originally was thinking ATHM40FS

Now looking at Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506?

Again, prefer accuracy but leaning toward the warm punchy side without the boom.

Thanks guys!

bob

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #15,214 of 29,490
Quote:
Again :D
I'm now looking to get AKG Q701s for primarily gaming instead of DT990s, but I've been reading a lot of mixed reviews. Some say it is just like the K701, others say it is a bit more bassier with a reduced soundstage. I rather pay for the bass as the K701 is lacking, but how would the DT990s stack up against the Q701s in gaming, music, and media?

If you want a "V" shaped EQ go with the 990.  If you want something close to neutral go with the Q 701.

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #15,215 of 29,490
Coming from ATH-M50 to my current Denon D2000, I'm really pleased by the sound quality of D2000. But now I'm intrigued to explore more in the hi-fi world. I feel D2000 already has provided such good quality, where can I go from there? I know there are more expensive cans out there, but I just want to know which ones can be an obvious improvement in the sound quality department? 

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #15,216 of 29,490
Quote:
Coming from ATH-M50 to my current Denon D2000, I'm really pleased by the sound quality of D2000. But now I'm intrigued to explore more in the hi-fi world. I feel D2000 already has provided such good quality, where can I go from there? I know there are more expensive cans out there, but I just want to know which ones can be an obvious improvement in the sound quality department? 

If you want to move toward a better and more balanced sound, the D5000 and D7000 are logical choices--but act quickly as they are being discontinued.  Also excellent but very different from what you have are the AKG Q 701, Shure SRH 940, Grado SR 225/325, Alessandro MS-2 and (very different) Grado RS-2.

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #15,217 of 29,490
Quote:
- Budget: Max $150 200
- Would like over the ear
- Comfort is a must
- Not too bass heavy
- Listen to Pop, rock, and R&B mostly
- Will listen from my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone & computer only

Thanks!!!

Quote:

Assuming your are looking for closed cans only: Sony MDR-7510, Shure SRH840, KRK KNS-6400.

Thanks. I'm going to change my budget to max $200 and yes I would like closed cans. 

I'm looking at the Sennheiser 558, Denon AH-D1100, and Sennheiser HD 380.

Which of the three would you guys recommend for the requirements I listed above. I would also like to add that I'd like to use these for gaming as well. Thanks!

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #15,218 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks. I'm going to change my budget to max $200 and yes I would like closed cans. 

I'm looking at the Sennheiser 558, Denon AH-D1100, and Sennheiser HD 380.

Which of the three would you guys recommend for the requirements I listed above. I would also like to add that I'd like to use these for gaming as well. Thanks!

The 558 is open.

Limiting yourself to closed cans without an amp, I don't think your choices expand much--maybe add the Sony MDR-V900HD.

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #15,219 of 29,490
Quote:
 The 558 is open.

Limiting yourself to closed cans without an amp, I don't think your choices expand much  maybe add the Sony MDR-V900HD.

You're right, sorry. I didn't realize the 558 was open. 

Forgive me since I'm new to headphones/audio, so does that mean the headphones (like Sennheiser HD 380) would not sound good with devices like a phone or computer? Would it be overkill to get such headphones without an amp?

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #15,220 of 29,490
Quote:

Forgive me since I'm new to headphones/audio, so does that mean the headphones (like Sennheiser HD 380) would not sound good with devices like a phone or computer? Would it be overkill to get such headphones without an amp?

I don't know how the 380 sounds unamped.  In fact I have never heard it. 

Phones (as in tele) don't have much power to push headphones and computers will vary depending on your sound card, if any.  Most good closed cans priced above (about) $150 need or are greatly helped by amplification.  Of course each individual one is a bit different from the next.

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #15,221 of 29,490
Sorry, I didn't see this thread until I posted my own. Please lock it, I will post it here.

Quote:
  I think we all know the overwealming process of buying headphones. I have some expirence with it, buying a few general pairs and one stereo gaming headset. Now that I have quit gaming and am selling my headset, I want to get serious into getting a desent semi-portable setup. I am a very frequent music listener. I probably listen from four to five hours of music each day. I also take my current crappy earbuds with me pretty much everywhere.

Things that I am looking at are similar to the "Phillips Citiscape Uptown." Which I saw in a video review. But I don't want to base my decition on one review. I have checked numerous headphone reviews and can not find many that can compare.

My musical preference ranges from celtic, new age, and a bit of classical piano. Most of the songs include female vocalists. I am not too big on bass, mostly bass is asvertised as it's own element. There are two elements of bass to me, which are "Pronounced' and "Ambient." Pronounced is very crisp staccato bass that is a main element of celtic music, which I am looking for. "Ambient" has very deep, lasting bass which is not exactly the sound I am looking for. A good mid-range is a must, and I don't care much about high frequencies. For price range, anything under $200

I am also looking for a portable amplifier, but that is not the most prominent concern at the moment.

I hope that narrows it down enough. And I hate to "eat and run" on forums, so I will stay here for a bit and help people on headphones that are within my range of knowledge.

Thank you

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Closed headpones are what I am looking for too.

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #15,222 of 29,490
Quote:

Used Brainwarz HM5 are selling for $100 in the "Headphone for Sale" thread.
My used ones just arrived yesterday, great for watching the movie "Immortals" on Blu-ray.
Leaves you enough left over cash for an Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card for your desktop PC.

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #15,223 of 29,490
Would you guys recommend the Vmoda M80s more or the Audiotechinca ath-m50 more? Price is not an issue, and I'm looking for the better sounding of the two. I also would prefer a more portable headphone, so Which one is more portable? Sound does come first though. Alos, I am confused about the difference between open and closed cans. Can somebody enlighten me about the difference?

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #15,224 of 29,490
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't see this thread until I posted my own. Please lock it, I will post it here.

The Shure SRH 840, Sony MDR-V900HD or KRK KNS 8400 (all closed) or Senn HD 558 (open) seem to fit.  For another $30 to $40 you can reach the AKG Q 701 (open).

Jun 5, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #15,225 of 29,490
Quote:
Would you guys recommend the Vmoda M80s more or the Audiotechinca ath-m50 more? Price is not an issue, and I'm looking for the better sounding of the two. I also would prefer a more portable headphone, so Which one is more portable? Sound does come first though. Alos, I am confused about the difference between open and closed cans. Can somebody enlighten me about the difference?

V-MODA M-80s are smaller with a shorter cable and come with a carrying case. Much more portable that the ATH-M50. Also, I think most here agree that the M-80 is better as it's more balanced with good mids and nice punchy bass. The ATH-M50 is more V-shaped in its sound and the mids are slightly recessed.

Closed cans mean that the driver is sealed up within the earcup and so sound doesn't come in or leak out to others around you. This results in closed cans having a smaller soundstage(in your head sound).

Open cans have the drivers housed in a way where they are exposed to outside noise and can leak sound out quite a bit. Not good for public listening where you can disturb other people or need isolation, like on a bus or airplane. Open cans have a wide, spacious soundstage.

Edit:
Oh, forgot to mention that the M-80s are semi-open, so they have a larger than normal soundstage compared to most "closed" cans. Because of this semi-open nature, they don't isolate as well as fully-closed cans, but I've noticed barely any leakage unless listening at dangerously high volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back