Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 14, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #5,071 of 18,765
I have just decided to buy a pair of TH900. I heard them for the first time at the HiFi show in Hong Kong on Saturday and then another quick listen on Tuesday and have been quite taken in by them.......and think they compliment my HD800, LCD2 and HE500 well.

Will be using the Violectric V200/V800 stack to drive the TH800...............
Welcome to headphones & a good choice if I may say so!

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #5,073 of 18,765
Quote:
I have just decided to buy a pair of TH900. I heard them for the first time at the HiFi show in Hong Kong on Saturday and then another quick listen on Tuesday and have been quite taken in by them.......and think they compliment my HD800, LCD2 and HE500 well.

eek.gif
 Sneak peak!

No, in all seriousness I'm glad you picked them up Gavin. Welcome to the club.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #5,074 of 18,765
Quote:
Welcome to headphones & a good choice if I may say so!

Quote:

eek.gif
 Sneak peak!

No, in all seriousness I'm glad you picked them up Gavin. Welcome to the club.

Thanks guys......

Whoops sorry about the typo it is the TH900, that I will be buying
size]

There's are just no more IEMs that I have my eyes on......................sigh.

I am buying a Metrum Hex Dac, and then will ask you, Sean, more about the Eddie Current 
size]

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #5,075 of 18,765
Great Gavin. I kinda of figure you will like the TH900 as your 1p2 sound similar to Th900 tonality. I have always wanted to find a universal IEM that resemble the TH900 and I finally found it, though not exactly the same but close enough for me, unless someone can recommend another universal IEM closer to TH900 than the 1p2... I have yet to hear any as of today...

I almost always pair the TH900 with Zana Duex SE tube amp & W4s Dac 2 for some late night listening & melt away on a couch with some mellow smooth jazz... oooh those trumpets so smooth.

Enjoy it my friend..

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #5,076 of 18,765
Great Gavin. I kinda of figure you will like the TH900 as your 1p2 sound similar to Th900 tonality. I have always wanted to find a universal IEM that resemble the TH900 and I finally found it, though not exactly the same but close enough for me, unless someone can recommend another universal IEM closer to TH900 than the 1p2... I have yet to hear any as of today...

I almost always pair the TH900 with Zana Duex SE tube amp & W4s Dac 2 for some late night listening & melt away on a couch with some mellow smooth jazz... oooh those trumpets so smooth.

Enjoy it my friend..

Thanks very much! I am sure I will:)

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #5,078 of 18,765
Quote:
Struggling to find the right music for the TH900. Not very interested in EDM. Any of you guys have any personal favorite tracks you want to share?

There were some suggestions earlier in the thread.  Here are some of mine.
Artist - Album - Track
Geinoh Yamashirogumi - Ecophony Rinne - Primordial Germination

Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark - Court and Spark (remastered 24/192 on HDtracks)

Bruce Stark - This is K2 HD Sound - Blue Dream

Steve Reich -  Different Trains, Electric Counterpoint - Electric Counterpoint: III. Fast (feat. Pat Metheny)

Harman Kardon - Harman Kardon Demonstration - Bach: Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (Particularly the Toccata)

Mathias Eick - Skala - Skala

Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters - Chameleon

Quatuor Ebene - "Ravel, Debussy & Faure - String Quartets" - Assez Vif, Tres Rythme

Yo-Yo Ma - Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone - Ecstasy of Gold from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Hope you find something to your liking in there.

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #5,079 of 18,765
Had my demo of the T1 today at Custom Cable (I seem to live near a lot of the decent UK headphone retailers with demo facility
tongue.gif
). Am still leaning in the TH900 camp though the whole source / amp matching game was interesting. If anything listening to the T1 made me appreciate the excellent HD800 even more. Whereas last week the TH900 took over from the HD800. Hmm. Giving myself a rest so not much of a post beyond the photo upload

Quote:
Struggling to find the right music for the TH900. Not very interested in EDM. Any of you guys have any personal favorite tracks you want to share?

Am all for having multiple pairs of headphones for their different flavour and presentations, and perhaps there is a "collect them all" aspect in play, but for me if the music I listen to are not fundamentally enjoyable with a headphone then there is not much point owning a headphone.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #5,080 of 18,765
Quote:
Had my demo of the T1 today at Custom Cable (I seem to live near a lot of the decent UK headphone retailers with demo facility
tongue.gif
). Am still leaning in the TH900 camp though the whole source / amp matching game was interesting. If anything listening to the T1 made me appreciate the excellent HD800 even more. Whereas last week the TH900 took over from the HD800. Hmm. Giving myself a rest so not much of a post beyond the photo upload

Am all for having multiple pairs of headphones for their different flavour and presentations, and perhaps there is a "collect them all" aspect in play, but for me if the music I listen to are not fundamentally enjoyable with a headphone then there is not much point owning a headphone.

I pretty much agree. Never was a huge fan of the T1. I need more weight to my music, and they always seems a bit too dry and thin. Still a very good headphone, especially with its dropping street price. Thank you for your impressions. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #5,081 of 18,765
Quote:

Yes they definitely make a great breath of fresh air from the "hifi" headphones.

Aug 15, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #5,082 of 18,765
Quote:

I pretty much agree. Never was a huge fan of the T1. I need more weight to my music, and they always seems a bit too dry and thin. Still a very good headphone, especially with its dropping street price. Thank you for your impressions. 

You must heard a bad pair.  Thin is the last thing I would call the T1.  I don't know what dry means in general.  But they sure do have good weight.  Again, I have different cables on mine so maybe that matters.  

If you want to -- you know the rest...

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #5,084 of 18,765
OK had a run and shower. Bear in mind my demo was a one hour session only, so usual disclaimer blah blah etc. Just me in the demo room. Ignoring Custom Cable's "Hi-Fi wall" stacked edge to edge and floor to ceiling with home DACs, CD players and amplifiers (a sight to behold), my findings:

So the T1 -

The pressure is OK. More than my HD600. Quite weighty and especially compared to the glove-like HD800. But then again the HD800 is akin to going from short hair to long hair, just supreme comfort and a benchmark setter. T1 build quality felt nice and rugged despite the negative of a non-detachable cable. Comfort would go HD800 > TH900 > T1. I think there is a risk with some ears the T1 pressure might deter long sessions.

First impressions of the sound, the spectrum coverage was noticeable from bass to the highs. Not extending to the lowest lows, the sub-bass did not show up on "Why So Serious" test track. Treble was slightly hot. You are getting that Beyer house sound but thought the T1 just about got away with it despite leaning slightly bright. Imaging and soundstage was good and present. Detail retrieval was correct and present. Thought the mids were slightly sat back and more-so than the TH900.

Now this is where it gets interesting. On the Senn HDVD800 amp the T1 did not sound matched. Too v-shaped. The Musical Fidelity M1 headphone amp on the other hand has a punchy signature and vocals / midrange are slightly pushed forward. Not as technically resolving as the Senn amp but for 3x less the cost it was not at all embarrassed. The HD800 not a surprise was a good match with the HDVD800 amp. The instrument separation, air and detail on another level. With the T1 the vocals sounded sat back and within the music. The T1 was a much better match with the M1 amp as a consequence of the midrange forwardness of that amp. I actually thought the soundstage on the M1 was a slither wider than the Senn amp also. Very engaging sound with the T1.

With all that said the T1 did not grab me like the TH900 last week. Without the TH900 at hand, the HD800 warmer, smoother, fuller bodied sound and layering was preferable over the T1 sharper and clearer presentation to my ears. The T1 mids and presentation of female vocals was nice but this time out the HD800 mids sounded more natural.

Based on nothing more than brief demos would recommend the HD800 or TH900 over the T1. The M1 Amp for 3x less the cost is an interesting option despite not being as technically good as the HDVD800. Something to be said about the size of the enclosure of the M1 amp which I assume is for cooling the Class-A design.

Two further points

(1) I totally get why people own both the HD800 and TH900. Yeah if you have the money they offer different signatures depending on mood and music
(2) I understand better now why people think the TH900 are bassy. I still do not think they are overly bassy and some posts may be interpreted as over-stating the point. They do not add artificial bass presence like the Denon D5K/D7K. The TH900 bass does extend deep and has a fun engaging impactful sound without ever intruding on the rest of the sound or coming across as being overdone (TH900 the only top-tier can I have demoed that does sub-bass right)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back