Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 25, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #4,816 of 18,765
Here are some pics:

BTW, I found the vocals on TH900 sounds masked, not as clear as on the HE-500...
However, the highs on the TH900 is really enjoyable, silky smooth yet extends endlessly.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #4,818 of 18,765
im using TH-900 stand for HE-500 lol

BTW, I found the vocals on TH900 sounds masked, not as clear as on the HE-500...
However, the highs on the TH900 is really enjoyable, silky smooth yet extends endlessly.

i find the HE-500 to have the silky smooth treble and the better vocals

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #4,819 of 18,765
Quote:
im using TH-900 stand for HE-500 lol

i find the HE-500 to have the silky smooth treble and the better vocals, good thing i didn't sell the HE-500. The TH-900 are serving as my rock and rap headphone for now. though once i rebuy a grado, it'll be rap/hip hop only.

Vocals are a bit drier on the TH-900, but its what any should except from a slight V-shaped sound. Plus orthodynamic mids are tough to beat. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #4,820 of 18,765
the HE-500 has more smoothness, transparency, and has less grain. it also has wooly bass and isn't that great in soundstage, though has great depth (now with my DAC upgrade, the HE-500 is able to compete with my other flagships though).

i love the TH-900's bass, its so good, and it does everything else pretty good, only big issue is the treble can still be bothersome at time and the mids can be too recessed on some recordings, but they're nice and warm and have good detail.

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #4,822 of 18,765
Quote:
the HE-500 has more smoothness, transparency, and has less grain. it also has wooly bass and isn't that great in soundstage, though has great depth (now with my DAC upgrade, the HE-500 is able to compete with my other flagships though).

i love the TH-900's bass, its so good, and it does everything else pretty good, only big issue is the treble can still be bothersome at time and the mids can be too recessed on some recordings, but they're nice and warm and have good detail.

I haven't experienced any of the problems in the treble as some have here, which is interesting because I consider myself to be very sensitive to harsh treble. I guess that is one area where upstream gear and source material really makes a difference. 

I do agree with the really well represented bass. It its lots of fun, and very visceral. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #4,823 of 18,765
Quote:
Here are some pics:

Oh man. Even though I have my TH-900, your pictures are simply beautiful!! I've not been following your posts therefore don't know if you've mentioned it or not in the past but are your custom cables balanced? Also which particular model of cables did you use?

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #4,824 of 18,765
So my initial impression of TH900 with silver dragon V3 out of HM901 with balanced amp module:
1. Highly detailed
2. very crisp highs
3. a bit offensive
4. big bass (a bit too much for my taste), very very strong attack
5. a sense of openness we rarely find on closed headphones

Hmm, how long does it take to see major changes through burning them in? I heard they change quite a bit after burn-in.

They take 4-5 days to fully break in. They won't sound anything like your first listen.

It's a pretty smooth sounding cable, as Gerry pointed out. I like it with the TH-900. It was super dull with the LCD-3 so I can see his point.

Be patient.

Jul 26, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #4,825 of 18,765
They take 4-5 days to fully break in. They won't sound anything like your first listen.

It's a pretty smooth sounding cable, as Gerry pointed out. I like it with the TH-900. It was super dull with the LCD-3 so I can see his point.
Be patient.

Thank you for ur info. I'm burning it!

Jul 26, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #4,826 of 18,765

strangely, with my setup, the th900 has super non-offensive treble... Cable may play a role here but again, u can always set 'vintage' mode on 901 to make the treble much darker and the vocal pops up quite a bit. I'm actually really enjoy the th900 in "vintage mode"

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #4,828 of 18,765
The sparkling treble of the TH900 is something really amazing. If someone founds the mid is reccessed or rolled off, try to pair it with better amp, I highly recommend the ZDSE or even the ZD, the Violectric V200 is pretty good though, but never being put on the same league as the Zana (ofc!).

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #4,829 of 18,765
Quote:
The sparkling treble of the TH900 is something really amazing. If someone founds the mid is reccessed or rolled off, try to pair it with better amp, I highly recommend the ZDSE or even the ZD, the Violectric V200 is pretty good though, but never being put on the same league as the Zana (ofc!).

Yeah, I find a warm sounding amp to be incredible with the TH-900's.

Jul 26, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #4,830 of 18,765
Quote:
Yeah, I find a warm sounding amp to be incredible with the TH-900's.

Agreed, I'm enjoying mine with a variety of slightly warm sounding amps. I think I've finally found a pair of tubes I'm satisfied with on the LG. Still wanting to try a ZDSE and a WA7, two amps that have been said to sound spectacular with the TH-XXX series. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back