Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 21, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #4,771 of 18,765
My TH-900s :D They are quite a looker.

Jul 21, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #4,774 of 18,765
Jul 22, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #4,776 of 18,765
I just bought th900 with dilverdragon v3, hope I made the right decision (cables I mean)
Congratulations. Did you go balance at the same time or just straight cable replacement?

Jul 22, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #4,777 of 18,765
Quote:
I just bought th900 with dilverdragon v3, hope I made the right decision (cables I mean)

Have you heard them with the stock cable?  Keep us posted on your observations!

Quote:
Congratulations. Did you go balance at the same time or just straight cable replacement?

I don't think I could bring myself to modify my TH900's, but I would love to hear a balanced version.

Jul 22, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #4,778 of 18,765
Found this review on YouTube of the TH900

Jul 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #4,780 of 18,765
Jul 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #4,781 of 18,765
Jul 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #4,782 of 18,765
I got a pair of Fostex TH900 recently, and, because I couldn't find one already, I wanted to offer a subjective opinion on the Fostex TH900 versus Grado PS1000.

I should probably start by saying why I bought the TH900s. Whilst I love my Grado PS1000 (yes, I said it, so I'll have to live in shame on Head-Fi for ever
tongue.gif
) they have some significant downsides: icepicks through the brain, lack of mid bass, comfort, and the weird look. I was able to live with all downsides but one: icepicks. The icepick factor basically makes like 25% of my music collection impossible to enjoy. So I bought the Fostex TH900s to address this lack of versatility, and for the bass performance.

So, how have I found them side-by-side? It's still early days so I may post updates, but I'm happy to commit on these points for now:

Icepicks: These seem to be gone from my life with the Fostex! I can now enjoy my full music collection rather than avoiding tracks because of how the Grados render them.
Bass: Without question, the Fostex has better lower/mid end bass, and it delivers its bass with a good deal more punch. To my ears, the Grados have better bass quality though.
Comfort/wearability: How to put this ... erm, the Grados simply aren't in the same league. When I wear my Grados for extended listening sessions I have to occasionally push them back in place; I also have to be careful when bending down in case they fall off. The Fostex have no such comfort/wearability issues. I don't even seem to get hot ears wearing them, which I would from other closed earphones in the past. I don't know how the weight compares, but the Fostex feel a lot lighter.
Detail: I'd put the Grados slightly ahead of the Fostex.
Soundstage: I'd put the Fostex about level with the Grado. Impressive for a closed headphone!
Presentation: I feel the Grado presentation is more involving. It sounds a lot edgier in the mids, and I've grown to really like that ... it comes very close to replicating the live concert experience. By comparison the Fostex sounds a little flat. However, I can EQ a bit more of an edge into the Fostex whereas I cannot remove the icepicks out of the Grado. Basically I find that if I EQ the Grado even slightly, it just sounds flat.
Overall: The Grado is a headphone that I'd still pick up to listen to 25% of my music as it presents it with such detail, and in so involving a fashion that the Fostex really is in second place. However, for the other 75% it'd be the Fostex. The Fostex feels like a very safe bet compared to the Grado, but with the safeness it lacks a little character. However, I'm good with that as I can EQ some of what I want back in, whereas I can't EQ out that which is bad with the Grado. If I had to have one headphone it would be the Fostex. However, I think for now anyway that the Grado offers me enough that I'll keep the two.

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #4,783 of 18,765
Quote:
I got a pair of Fostex TH900 recently, and, because I couldn't find one already, I wanted to offer a subjective opinion on the Fostex TH900 versus Grado PS1000.

I should probably start by saying why I bought the TH900s. Whilst I love my Grado PS1000 (yes, I said it, so I'll have to live in shame on Head-Fi for ever
tongue.gif
) they have some significant downsides: icepicks through the brain, lack of mid bass, comfort, and the weird look. I was able to live with all downsides but one: icepicks. The icepick factor basically makes like 25% of my music collection impossible to enjoy. So I bought the Fostex TH900s to address this lack of versatility, and for the bass performance.

So, how have I found them side-by-side? It's still early days so I may post updates, but I'm happy to commit on these points for now:

Icepicks: These seem to be gone from my life with the Fostex! I can now enjoy my full music collection rather than avoiding tracks because of how the Grados render them.
Bass: Without question, the Fostex has better lower/mid end bass, and it delivers its bass with a good deal more punch. To my ears, the Grados have better bass quality though.
Comfort/wearability: How to put this ... erm, the Grados simply aren't in the same league. When I wear my Grados for extended listening sessions I have to occasionally push them back in place; I also have to be careful when bending down in case they fall off. The Fostex have no such comfort/wearability issues. I don't even seem to get hot ears wearing them, which I would from other closed earphones in the past. I don't know how the weight compares, but the Fostex feel a lot lighter.
Detail: I'd put the Grados slightly ahead of the Fostex.
Soundstage: I'd put the Fostex about level with the Grado. Impressive for a closed headphone!
Presentation: I feel the Grado presentation is more involving. It sounds a lot edgier in the mids, and I've grown to really like that ... it comes very close to replicating the live concert experience. By comparison the Fostex sounds a little flat. However, I can EQ a bit more of an edge into the Fostex whereas I cannot remove the icepicks out of the Grado. Basically I find that if I EQ the Grado even slightly, it just sounds flat.
Overall: The Grado is a headphone that I'd still pick up to listen to 25% of my music as it presents it with such detail, and in so involving a fashion that the Fostex really is in second place. However, for the other 75% it'd be the Fostex. The Fostex feels like a very safe bet compared to the Grado, but with the safeness it lacks a little character. However, I'm good with that as I can EQ some of what I want back in, whereas I can't EQ out that which is bad with the Grado. If I had to have one headphone it would be the Fostex. However, I think for now anyway that the Grado offers me enough that I'll keep the two.

Really enjoyed your impressions. You don't see too many Grado comparisons (not sure, why? maybe they aren't as popular), but its nice to see some different comparisons popping up. I've never been a fan of the Grado's house sound, but they have their following. Can you further explain what "icepicks" are? I'm guessing you mean piercing treble (sibilance?)?

Jul 22, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #4,784 of 18,765
Quote:

Really enjoyed your impressions. You don't see too many Grado comparisons (not sure, why? maybe they aren't as popular), but its nice to see some different comparisons popping up. I've never been a fan of the Grado's house sound, but they have their following. Can you further explain what "icepicks" are? I'm guessing you mean piercing treble (sibilance?)?

Thanks!

Exactly right re icepicks = the piercing treble.

I think Gwarmi's review summarizes the PS1000 nicely: "when I think of the PS1000 in terms of faintly veiled military comparison, the image of a 'Big Bertha' cannon from WW1 emerges. Big, majestic, powerful, slightly unwieldy (ok, quite unwieldy). The PS1000 like Bertha when placed in the correct position with the right source, amp and recording delivers a sonic blow to devastate your senses, however, it does not take much of an imagination to think of the flipside"

Jul 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #4,785 of 18,765
Quote:
 You don't see too many Grado comparisons (not sure, why? maybe they aren't as popular),

Quote:
Noooooooo!!! Gerry you violated the unspoken rule on Head-Fi. We have to ignore all things Grado until Joe apologizes to the entire community and starts making the HP1000 again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back