Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 9, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #6,301 of 18,765
OMG listened to some 80s J-pop on the Th900, sounded like crap on T1, a900xltd, but sounded ridiculously good on Th900. There's something special about it
+1

Nakamori Akina, Matsuda Seiko, Anzen Chitai, & Kisugi Takao? Way to go man :). Now we're talking :wink:.

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #6,302 of 18,765
Any issues with the step volume knob? What gain setting do u run the 900s thru?

I run my Soloist around 10 to 11. On some material 11 can be painful on some passages and wish I had 10.5 setting but no biggie.
The volume pot is noisy but my guitars over time develop noisy pots. A little tuner cleaner from RadioShack clears that up. I may use it on the Soloist after I research this a little more. Again something I can live with because I usually set and forget.

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #6,303 of 18,765
I must say the TH-900 can handle tons of power with zero distortion at high volumes. Im pleasantly surprised as it is only a 25ohm headphones. My Essence One amp is very powerful and plays my 600ohm T1 very easily at only 12 oclock volume settings its almost too loud for me. The lower impedance TH-900 handles it like a champ.

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #6,304 of 18,765
Well, 1.8w is no joke. 
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #6,305 of 18,765
have to agree with playitloud, I wont change a thing on my th900, not the ear pads that are made of protein leather made from eggshell membrane, or the Japanese Cherry Birch (Betula Grossa), nor the cord which is made of 7N grade (99.99999%) OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) and duralumin plug case for higher durability. I recommend the hpa8 to power these cans the amp gain range and dynamic is outrageous, volume step almost infinite. 

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #6,306 of 18,765
welcome to the family.  they are fantastic.  those pads will last and stay almost as soft over time.  My first pair is circa 2012 and still sings with tubes.  My 2nd and 3rd pair stays at work.  They are my workhorses and the finish has survived many drops and collisions with other headphones, tables and amplifiers.

Quote:
  have to agree with playitloud, I wont change a thing on my th900, not the ear pads that are made of protein leather made from eggshell membrane, or the Japanese Cherry Birch (Betula Grossa), nor the cord which is made of 7N grade (99.99999%) OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) and duralumin plug case for higher durability. I recommend the hpa8 to power these cans the amp gain range and dynamic is outrageous, volume step almost infinite. 

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #6,307 of 18,765
Update : I got up the nerve and used some Radioshack Tuner cleaner and the noisy Soloist volume pot cleaned up by probably 90%. Still a little noise is perceptible when changing the volume but now not bad at all.
I also just received a Yulong DA8 and it was an amazing improvement . The Th900's are amazing with this combo.

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #6,308 of 18,765
noisy volume knob?
what radio shack fluid?

Quote:
Update : I got up the nerve and used some Radioshack Tuner cleaner and the noisy Soloist volume pot cleaned up by probably 90%. Still a little noise is perceptible when changing the volume but now not bad at all.
I also just received a Yulong DA8 and it was an amazing improvement . The Th900's are amazing with this combo.

Feb 13, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #6,309 of 18,765
Ok, so after reading pages and pages of threads on LCD-3, He-6 & now Th900, I have decided to get this headphone. I have a v200 which I am hoping will work well with the th900. But I would prefer to use an OTL amp using 6as7 n 6sl7 tubes as I have a few of these tubes. I am looking at the Crack, little dot mk3, la figaro 332 or audio tailor Jade. Dac is a MDAC. Wa22 would be awesome, especially the black brushed aluminium will be gorgeous with the tubes and the Urushi cups hanging beside them, my wallet is not sufficient enough for both at the moment.

I would like to hear a big soundstage, with good imaging and depth, nice bass and smooth treble. Hd800 is not my cup of tea and the lcd-3 is way too much especially with the right amp, IMO. HE-6, finding a reliable vintage speaker amp and having it shipped to Indonesia is gonna be huge hassle. But I would love to own the He-6 and run it through a Darkstar amp. One day...

So, any recommendations on OTL amp for these phones or just be happy and use the v200.

Feb 13, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #6,310 of 18,765
Ok, so after reading pages and pages of threads on LCD-3, He-6 & now Th900, I have decided to get this headphone. I have a v200 which I am hoping will work well with the th900. But I would prefer to use an OTL amp using 6as7 n 6sl7 tubes as I have a few of these tubes. I am looking at the Crack, little dot mk3, la figaro 332 or audio tailor Jade. Dac is a MDAC. Wa22 would be awesome, especially the black brushed aluminium will be gorgeous with the tubes and the Urushi cups hanging beside them, my wallet is not sufficient enough for both at the moment.

I would like to hear a big soundstage, with good imaging and depth, nice bass and smooth treble. Hd800 is not my cup of tea and the lcd-3 is way too much especially with the right amp, IMO. HE-6, finding a reliable vintage speaker amp and having it shipped to Indonesia is gonna be huge hassle. But I would love to own the He-6 and run it through a Darkstar amp. One day...

So, any recommendations on OTL amp for these phones or just be happy and use the v200.

Two proposals, two price points :
- Bakoon HPA-21
- Trafomatic Head One

Feb 13, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #6,311 of 18,765

The TH 900 does not sound good out of an OTL amp, I have tried 2 - Btlhd Crack & DV 336. I am guessing this is because OTL amps are better suited for high impedance headphones. Also (this is pure speculation on my part) I am not sure the V200 will be a amazing match for the TH 900. Reason being , in my experience the TH 900 sounds best on amps / tubes which are neutral in bass (as the TH 900 is quite bassy). If you pair it with an amp with has good bass (like V200), then the bass gets a bit too much. Again this is just pure speculation on my part based on my experience with TH 900 , I have never heard it with the V200.

I would recommend :
If you want to go tube then get a Transformer coupled amp like the Woo WA6
Demo the TH 900 on the V200 if you can, maybe I am wrong & it may have good synergy.

Feb 13, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #6,312 of 18,765
I found the TH-900 and V200 to be quite an excellent match.

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #6,314 of 18,765
I found the TH-900 and V200 to be quite an excellent match.

Done. Now the plan is, get the th900 and use it with the v200 and in a year hopefully save up and get a Wa22.

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #6,315 of 18,765
  Then I stand corrected.

No, your speculation is very valid. I am using the TH-900 with the Anedio D2's amp which can't be more neutral or clean and the TH-900 hits very hard and could still be overpowering to some (in that case the headphone isn't for them) so there is room for concern. 

However while the V200 has a slight subbass accentuation and is generally known for being more on the warm side, it doesn't create a very lush or loose sound and thanks to its power design (strong current for low impedance hp, enough voltage swing for higher impedance cans) knows how to control (especially the bass) the headphone very well. So the winning combination is the slighty tamed highs with the added warmness, the handling/control, general dynamics. Same with HE-500 + V200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back