Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Feb 11, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #1,666 of 2,858
  Got home, plugged it into my computer. Holy. My music doesn't sound the same. Its incredible

Helps that my T50RPs now actually have the power they need, and the true DAC makes a huge difference. That amazing little Asus DG sound card is wonderful, but is left seriously wanting. Ill keep it of course, better optical connector then my motherboard, and if I get a new PC Im still guaranteed an optical.

Hate to keep things off topic, but this is the only thread I really spend time on xD

I think it's OK because you mentioned the T50RP :wink:

The Fostex does take a bit of power to run properly, and if you put in more stuff (e.g., cotton, felt) the more juice you'll need.

I don't know if you should be congratulated or commiserated on the slippery slope of "better equipment" :p

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #1,667 of 2,858

I think it's OK because you mentioned the T50RP :wink:

The Fostex does take a bit of power to run properly, and if you put in more stuff (e.g., cotton, felt) the more juice you'll need.

I don't know if you should be congratulated or commiserated on the slippery slope of "better equipment" :p

Heh these are Ubers, more or less end game for me.

And yes I noticed orthros take a bunch of power. my YH-100s on my sound card sound terrible. So bad I thought they were worne out or bad magnets, went to my dads and plugged them into the speaker amp (has a headphone jack) and they sound worlds better, Ill have to try them on the Magni when I can

EDIT: I also can hear a HUGE difference between my mp3 320k Audioslave and *shudder* Maroon 5 Loss-less from CD. Makes my music just a bit sterile but, its more true.

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #1,668 of 2,858
So I have a bit of a stupid question but I might as well - I bought a second set of T50RPs to play around with and was using them stock, and I noticed that at higher volumes (not super high, just above average) and put my hand on the cups and noticed them vibrating, is this a normal event, if so would it be possible to alleviate all external cup vibrations via internal altercations?

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #1,669 of 2,858
So I have a bit of a stupid question but I might as well - I bought a second set of T50RPs to play around with and was using them stock, and I noticed that at higher volumes (not super high, just above average) and put my hand on the cups and noticed them vibrating, is this a normal event, if so would it be possible to alleviate all external cup vibrations via internal altercations?

Yep normal, that's how speakers work, they move, to move air, to make a wave, to move your ear drum to listen.

Now becuase the T50rp is made of cheap thin plasic, you'll get movement in the cup and baffle cause by the driver. This is bad becuase it can distort and resonate and other bad things.

A popular way of midigating this is called "mass loading" ie: the newplast we all put on the back of the baffle. The theory is that it increases the amount of mass the driver is attached to substantually. This means its much harder for the driver to make the frame and cup move. Resulting in less vibrations and a more "true" sound. Only the driver making the noise it should, with no other waves coming from the baffle or cup, or vibrations coming back to the driver to make it move incorrectly, or the baffle moving as the driver does there for losing some movement to the baffle instead of air

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #1,670 of 2,858
Yep normal, that's how speakers work, they move, to move air, to make a wave, to move your ear drum to listen.

Now becuase the T50rp is made of cheap thin plasic, you'll get movement in the cup and baffle cause by the driver. This is bad becuase it can distort and resonate and other bad things.

A popular way of midigating this is called "mass loading" ie: the newplast we all put on the back of the baffle. The theory is that it increases the amount of mass the driver is attached to substantually. This means its much harder for the driver to make the frame and cup move. Resulting in less vibrations and a more "true" sound. Only the driver making the noise it should, with no other waves coming from the baffle or cup, or vibrations coming back to the driver to make it move incorrectly, or the baffle moving as the driver does there for losing some movement to the baffle instead of air

Thanks! As an english major, this kind of stuff isn't exactly my forte haha.

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #1,675 of 2,858
Are wave guides at all usefull for an open back t50?

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #1,677 of 2,858
Are wave guides at all usefull for an open back t50?

I'd say potentially but will require testing, listening, and measuring Before and After installation. I suspect that for them to work on T50RP and siblings the rear damping paper will have to be removed and re-configured.

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #1,678 of 2,858
Time to start searching for another set of fostex drivers the cheapest I cam find them, before I ruin the set I have

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #1,679 of 2,858
Time to start searching for another set of fostex drivers the cheapest I cam find them, before I ruin the set I have

LOL...my current pair have been in three different woody prototypes. I am making this last iteration their stopping point, and am starting with a fresh pair on the next build for me.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #1,680 of 2,858
Yup, back and fourth they shall go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back