Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Feb 7, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #1,651 of 2,832
So guys, I've been wondering for awhile, then I was just reading an article about nodded grados.

L3000.gif

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #1,652 of 2,832
Surprised I never came upon this thread before.  What a magnificent piece of work the OP is.

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #1,654 of 2,832
I'd like to reterminate the stock T50RP cable. It has a 1/4 jack. I have a 1/8 male/female coupling, so I want to cut the 4 meter cable, and insert the coupling at 1.20 meters, so that I have a short cable for portable use that I can couple to the rest of the cable when I want to use the headphone with audio equpment.

Does anyone have the wiring diagram with the colour codes for Left, Right and Ground?

The stock cable isn't worth re terminating. It has those awful thin, hair-like wires inside. Best to simply make a new cable or buy one...

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #1,655 of 2,832
So guys, I've been wondering for awhile, then I was just reading an article about nodded grados.

I think there might be a response miss match between the left and right channels on my T50rps. Of course songs and what not will phase from left to right, but I find on single sounds as they change in frequancey it will sound more to one side then where it started.

Very noticeable on lower end of the highs. A cymbal will start off where it should but the lower tones in the sound seem much more to one side.

I'm assuming this can be tuned, but its hard to target a single band, and I have nothing to make actual measure ments

Any suggestions?

I've experienced this same issue, and two years later I'm still trying to get it perfect. Most of the tuning is done by increasing or decreasing low or high frequency quantity, of course I do find different materials tend to affect different things.. the mids seem nearly helpless if a channel - frequency - imbalance develops. Only thought I had was to obtain another pair of T50rp, get them recabled again, and then re-do all the damping exactly the same but with precise measurements to ensure that each side is identical.

I've found things as small as having one patch of plastic next to a driver screw undampened vs dampened can make a small but audible difference. This thing is becoming an obsession lol

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #1,656 of 2,832
The stock cable isn't worth re terminating. It has those awful thin, hair-like wires inside. Best to simply make a new cable or buy one...

I'd like to try making the coupling work first, so I can keep the locking angled jack at the headphone side. Do you have the colour codes?

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #1,658 of 2,832
I could do that, but I want to make sure that I can use the 1/8 jack on my iPad, then connect it to the female 1/8 and have the four meter cable to connect to my stereo.

So I really need to know what colour the left channel is and what colour the riight channel. is there anyone who knows?

Check out Rob Robinette's site on cable termination:
http://robrobinette.com/BalancedCable.htm#Single_Ended_Speaker_Out_Adapter_

The TRS (single ended) jack (both 3.5mm and 1/4") diagram:
TRS_Pinout.jpg

The red wire is usually RIGHT.

The white/black wire is usually LEFT.

I haven't cut open the stock Fostex cable, but I assume that the color coding is similar to the ones inside the cup (i.e., RED is RIGHT)

The best way to double check everything is get a cheap multimeter. You can youtube on how to use one, but one with the most basic function will do--set it to beep when you have a connection.

The 3.5 and 1/4" jack ends should correspond: Tip = Left; Ring = Right; Sleeve = the negative or shield.

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #1,659 of 2,832

Check out Rob Robinette's site on cable termination:
http://robrobinette.com/BalancedCable.htm#Single_Ended_Speaker_Out_Adapter_

The TRS (single ended) jack (both 3.5mm and 1/4") diagram:
TRS_Pinout.jpg

The red wire is usually RIGHT.

The white/black wire is usually LEFT.

I haven't cut open the stock Fostex cable, but I assume that the color coding is similar to the ones inside the cup (i.e., RED is RIGHT)

The best way to double check everything is get a cheap multimeter. You can youtube on how to use one, but one with the most basic function will do--set it to beep when you have a connection.

The 3.5 and 1/4" jack ends should correspond: Tip = Left; Ring = Right; Sleeve = the negative or shield.

Thanks. I didn't mod the cups yet, that would give me also a clue on the colour codes. :)

I'm going to try add the coupling - buying a separate TM110B cable (1 meter with 3.5mm termination) is too expensive.

Thanks for your information.

Feb 9, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #1,661 of 2,832

Thanks. I didn't mod the cups yet, that would give me also a clue on the colour codes. :)

I'm going to try add the coupling - buying a separate TM110B cable (1 meter with 3.5mm termination) is too expensive.

Thanks for your information.

Hi, dont but any oryginal replacement parts from fostex they are expensive and for similar price you can get something better.

Feb 9, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #1,662 of 2,832

Not related to mods but.... everything went to schiit

:)

At my girlies, I just grabbed whatever CD I thought had the best production, no idea what band, plugged it into thr blue ray, plugged the Modi 2 U into the TV as its the only thing that has optical in the house.

Wow. First actual headphone amp and DAC I've listened to. I don't even know what band this is, but I don't care lol

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #1,663 of 2,832

Not related to mods but.... everything went to schiit

smily_headphones1.gif

At my girlies, I just grabbed whatever CD I thought had the best production, no idea what band, plugged it into thr blue ray, plugged the Modi 2 U into the TV as its the only thing that has optical in the house.

Wow. First actual headphone amp and DAC I've listened to. I don't even know what band this is, but I don't care lol

Congratulations! Me too. Amazing sound at a great value. and to make it somewhat relevant to the thread, my dbv3 T50RP cans sound amazing coming from the Schitt Lyr 2 using my 1975 Reflecktor single wire silvers. Amazing! Thank you, BMF.

Feb 10, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #1,664 of 2,832
Got home, plugged it into my computer. Holy. My music doesn't sound the same. Its incredible

Helps that my T50RPs now actually have the power they need, and the true DAC makes a huge difference. That amazing little Asus DG sound card is wonderful, but is left seriously wanting. Ill keep it of course, better optical connector then my motherboard, and if I get a new PC Im still guaranteed an optical.

Hate to keep things off topic, but this is the only thread I really spend time on xD

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #1,665 of 2,832
Hifiman shell is en route thanks to a great head-fiier, xposting with other thread, just real excited!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back