Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Jan 26, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #1,607 of 2,832
  Never done this before but I am planning to to do the Paxmate Lattice Mod with Cotton or Grodan Rock Wool Mod Chapter 22.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements#user_Paxmate_Lattice_Mod_with_Cotton_or_Grodan_Rock_Wool

I chose this mod because of the ease, relative low expense, and also BMF said they sound similar to the DBV V3. I have a set of MrSpeakers Alpha Pads for Fostex T50RP. The mod calls for Shure 840 Pads, but will the Alpha pads be OK or should I try another mod? Also, how does a mod like this or the DBV V3 compare to MrSpeakers Mad Dogs? Thank you all for your time and effort.

Alpha Pads may work but only your ears can decide. Pads contribute significantly to any mod.

Best wishes.

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #1,609 of 2,832
Never done this before but I am planning to to do the Paxmate Lattice Mod with Cotton or Grodan Rock Wool Mod Chapter 22.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements#user_Paxmate_Lattice_Mod_with_Cotton_or_Grodan_Rock_Wool

I chose this mod because of the ease, relative low expense, and also BMF said they sound similar to the DBV V3. I have a set of MrSpeakers Alpha Pads for Fostex T50RP. The mod calls for Shure 840 Pads, but will the Alpha pads be OK or should I try another mod? Also, how does a mod like this or the DBV V3 compare to MrSpeakers Mad Dogs? Thank you all for your time and effort.

It works with alphas that's how I did mine. But I mixed and matched a bit. Alphas give you a deep soundstage but a more "tunnel" like effect that's tough to completely get rid of. If you do the lattice /rock wool mod, I'd also suggest doing the akasa padding on the ear side of the cup.

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #1,610 of 2,832
It works with alphas that's how I did mine. But I mixed and matched a bit. Alphas give you a deep soundstage but a more "tunnel" like effect that's tough to completely get rid of. If you do the lattice /rock wool mod, I'd also suggest doing the akasa padding on the ear side of the cup.

Thanks for the directions. Will this stuff do as I already purchased it?

SilverStone Silent Foam SF01, Sound Dampening Acoustic EP0M Foam Material, Black, 21"x15", 4mm thick, 2 pcs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999222

Jan 27, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #1,611 of 2,832
Hey all! 

I have a damaged T50rp driver. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to sell me a driver (or set)? I'd also be willing to purchase the whole headphone as well. Thanks

http://www.head-fi.org/t/751807/wtb-used-pair-of-fostex-t50rp-or-just-a-single-driver-from-them

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #1,612 of 2,832
  Hey all! 

I have a damaged T50rp driver. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to sell me a driver (or set)? I'd also be willing to purchase the whole headphone as well. Thanks

http://www.head-fi.org/t/751807/wtb-used-pair-of-fostex-t50rp-or-just-a-single-driver-from-them

You can send it to me. I'll replace the diaphragm for you.

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #1,613 of 2,832
So while waiting for new wood I decided to salvage the cups I messed up...the friction fit I wanted isn't there, but they work. More improvements planned for the next try (lower profile baffle for more space in the cup, another try at bass ports...)

The cable is simple Mogami, stripped from the Y, which is only heat shrink. I suppose at some point I will remove the ZMF stickers from that headband
smily_headphones1.gif

...I have spent a little time tuning these now, and finally settled on a configuration I like, so I made the build permanent and hot-glued the cups to the baffles...this definitely tightened things up. A lot. Lesson learned: friction fit is fine for experimenting, but not a good permanent state. Hot glue seals everything up nicely, and gets the sound just right. It works better than the screws I used on my first build in Walnut as well.

Being a recovering Grado-nerd, I am guessing I can use a hairdryer to loosen the glue up again later if I desperately need to get back in there.

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #1,614 of 2,832
Now time for you to start selling those cups....

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #1,615 of 2,832
Once we finalize the design I'll put them up on shapeways to either buy at cost, or download the file.

I might make a few different versions, like a single print pair, or part treeless ones for home printing.

In short you'll just need a 3D printer. If you want to make the print smooth instead of having a bunch of ridges l, you'll have to make sure it was printed out in ABS plasic. (Most common anyways) then Google the smoothing process. Seems rather simple, I've never tried it though. You don't have to smooth them out, but I fear the ridges may effect sound reflection

this is awesome!

will Shapeways print them for purchase? (sorry, not familiar with this)

anyway, I think I already spent more on materials for upgrading the Fostex than the cost of the headphones themselves
etysmile.gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #1,616 of 2,832

this is awesome!

will Shapeways print them for purchase? (sorry, not familiar with this)

anyway, I think I already spent more on materials for upgrading the Fostex than the cost of the headphones themselves
etysmile.gif

It isn't hard to do, but keep in mind they probably sound better than headphones that cost more than the cost of the headphones + the cost of materials. Besides, you got to have fun modding them to your own liking rather than dealing with a stock signature :)

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #1,619 of 2,832
Gents, here they are...cCasper's Custom Painted BMF T50RP cups and slider rails with Alcantara Pads and Custom Balanced Cable....Sweet!

They look much better than my crappy iPhone pictures and, modified, they sound wonderful.

Thanks, cCasper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back