Fostex HP-A4BL (the A4 with balanced output)
Jan 14, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #106 of 401
  Sony MDR - EX650 T is my every day pair of IEM's.  I have no experience with the Shure SE846's so I can't speak to those but it does a good job with my Sony MA900's (Open back 12ohm)  Meze 99 Classics (Closed back 32ohm) and the Sony EX650 (IEM) so it is a versatile unit with both low and high gain settings.

I jst received the HPA-4Bl and confirm that it's the cleanest dac/amp I tried with Shure SE846.
No noise floor, no EMI interference, no nothing.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #108 of 401
  How would these compare with the Audio-gd NFB-11? NFB-11 is about $100 less....

They compare excellently with mostly anything. Don't let the price detract you from thinking they're any less capable. Ok so the power output isn't as high as some competing models, but they're pretty much capable enough to power basically anything at safe listening levels. I use them to power my T1's, HD800's and Z1R's, and there's more than enough juice for me.

Ultimately though, the noise floor is zilch, and the audio quality is superb. If you asked me which was better out of my £380 HP-A4BL, my £690 Violectric V200 and my £230 O2+ODAC, I wouldn't say either. They're equally as capable as each other, but have different strengths and qualities. Audio quality wise the V200 is a touch coloured which makes it fun to use, the Fostex and O2 are essentially dead neutral (at least when the HP-A4BP is connected via USB). The V200 is the most powerful. The O2 the cheapest but least convenient and worst looking, and the HP-A4BL isn't nearly as powerful as the V200, but is still powerful enough for me, whilst also being small, nice looking, relatively affordable and feature rich, thanks to both optical and balanced options (I'm predominantly using balanced now, with both my Z1R's and HD800's). 

If anything, the most annoying thing about the HP-A4BL is that it doesn't have a power button lol. I dislike having to seek out the ideal volume level each time I use it, because the volume knob is the power on. I wish I could just leave the volume knob at a certain turn, and just have a switch to turn it on and off.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #109 of 401
  How would these compare with the Audio-gd NFB-11? NFB-11 is about $100 less....

I don't know about NFB-11, but the Fostex is made in Japan, and has a very low output impedence.
So low that even Shure SE846 doesn't pick any hiss or EMI noise from PC. It's much smaller
and lighter than NFB-11 and has a balanced output as well. So if you're using super sensetive cans
or IEM's go with the fostex. It also can power T50RP MK3s on high gain pretty well.
Also check the NFB-11 thread, will help.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #110 of 401
  I don't know about NFB-11, but the Fostex is made in Japan, and has a very low output impedence.
So low that even Shure SE846 doesn't pick any hiss or EMI noise from PC. It's much smaller
and lighter than NFB-11 and has a balanced output as well. So if you're using super sensetive cans
or IEM's go with the fostex. It also can power T50RP MK3s on high gain pretty well.
Also check the NFB-11 thread, will help.

They compare excellently with mostly anything. Don't let the price detract you from thinking they're any less capable. Ok so the power output isn't as high as some competing models, but they're pretty much capable enough to power basically anything at safe listening levels. I use them to power my T1's, HD800's and Z1R's, and there's more than enough juice for me.

Ultimately though, the noise floor is zilch, and the audio quality is superb. If you asked me which was better out of my £380 HP-A4BL, my £690 Violectric V200 and my £230 O2+ODAC, I wouldn't say either. They're equally as capable as each other, but have different strengths and qualities. Audio quality wise the V200 is a touch coloured which makes it fun to use, the Fostex and O2 are essentially dead neutral (at least when the HP-A4BP is connected via USB). The V200 is the most powerful. The O2 the cheapest but least convenient and worst looking, and the HP-A4BL isn't nearly as powerful as the V200, but is still powerful enough for me, whilst also being small, nice looking, relatively affordable and feature rich, thanks to both optical and balanced options (I'm predominantly using balanced now, with both my Z1R's and HD800's). 

If anything, the most annoying thing about the HP-A4BL is that it doesn't have a power button lol. I dislike having to seek out the ideal volume level each time I use it, because the volume knob is the power on. I wish I could just leave the volume knob at a certain turn, and just have a switch to turn it on and off.

Thanks for the replies guys. Just afraid I might upgrade to something hard to drive in the future... NFB-11 has lots of power. Btw for those who do not need balanced, there's a really good deal for the unbalanced variant, HP-A4, on amazon.jp.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/FOSTEX-%E3%83%98%E3%83%83%E3%83%89%E3%83%9B%E3%83%B3%E3%82%A2%E3%83%B3%E3%83%97-A%E5%A4%89%E6%8F%9B%E5%99%A8%E5%86%85%E8%94%B5-%E3%83%8F%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AC%E3%82%BE%E5%AF%BE%E5%BF%9C-HP-A4/dp/B00G97FG5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484414112&sr=8-1&keywords=hp-a4

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #111 of 401

Thanks for the replies guys. Just afraid I might upgrade to something hard to drive in the future... NFB-11 has lots of power. Btw for those who do not need balanced, there's a really good deal for the unbalanced variant, HP-A4, on amazon.jp.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/FOSTEX-%E3%83%98%E3%83%83%E3%83%89%E3%83%9B%E3%83%B3%E3%82%A2%E3%83%B3%E3%83%97-A%E5%A4%89%E6%8F%9B%E5%99%A8%E5%86%85%E8%94%B5-%E3%83%8F%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AC%E3%82%BE%E5%AF%BE%E5%BF%9C-HP-A4/dp/B00G97FG5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484414112&sr=8-1&keywords=hp-a4

Note that HP-A4 is USB-powered, so don't expect it to drive hungry planars like T50RPs.
BTW, since it's USB powered, it (might) pick the PC noise, if you have noisy usb power.
you hear some kind of static like in the background and might "here" the movement of the mouse.
I still recommend a "mains powered" DAC/AMp over usb powered ones.

Jan 14, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #112 of 401
Note that HP-A4 is USB-powered, so don't expect it to drive hungry planars like T50RPs.
BTW, since it's USB powered, it (might) pick the PC noise, if you have noisy usb power.
you hear some kind of static like in the background and might "here" the movement of the mouse.

The A4BL is still running on a SMPS so don't expect it to be super clean though. I'm running my A4 off a LPS and I got to say it's really amazing. But in still in half a mind to change to the A4BL so that I can directly feed it clean 12V power from a LPS instead of through a USB conditioner.

On a side note I did compare between different types of power supplies for my A4. My USB conditioner splits the data and power lines for the USB signal.

In terms of ranking:
LPS > Xiaomi Power bank > SMPS > PC USB Port

Jan 14, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #113 of 401

I believe running a good powered USB hub before the DAC solves most of the USB issues. But noted on the lack of power...

Jan 14, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #115 of 401
Another option for power is the iFi low noise power supply. I checked the power specs and it would work with the HP-A4BL.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1275643-REG/ifi_audio_0306007_12v_ipower_12v_improves_sonics.html

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #117 of 401
  Another option for power is the iFi low noise power supply. I checked the power specs and it would work with the HP-A4BL.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1275643-REG/ifi_audio_0306007_12v_ipower_12v_improves_sonics.html

I tdon't think they're compatible. Fostex requires 12V-1.5A,
but iFi power supply is 12V-1.8A, are they compatible?

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #118 of 401

I don't think they're compatible. Fostex requires 12V-1.5A,
but iFi power supply is 12V-1.8A, are they compatible?

They are compatible. That power supply is 12V like the HP-A4BL needs, and it can serve up to 1.8 amps. The HP-A4BL will only draw the amperage that it needs.

Jan 21, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #120 of 401
Just wanted to jump in here that I also bought the HP-A4BL today and am extremely happy with it. It drives everything from a TH-900 to HD800S and LCD2 just fine. If anybody has questions about this criminally under-the-radar DAC/AMP let me know. Not enough people here seem to own it considering what its offering at its price point.

While I do prefer the sound from my Parasound ZDACv2 / Mjolnir 2 pairing (and I still slightly prefer direct plug-in to the Parasound) this is all just preference and each of these devices cost significantly more. The Parasound (on its own or via Mjolnir 2 with tubes) has a slightly warmer fuller sound. But ZDAC also advertises itself as going after this warmer "analogue sound".

On the other hand the HP-A4BL is more strictly neutral but in a nice way its certainly not in any way cold or thin and spectacular for its price point. And this pairs well with Fostex style headphones (my favourite) like the TH-900, etc which have quite strong lower response anyway.

The LCD2 and 800S use the balanced connection. I have not tried these two on the standard plug. But on the balanced connection, they get plenty loud at max volume (low gain) and then can get obviously even louder on high gain, but I haven't seen the need to use it yet except on one track (score) that is particularly quiet.

If you have any questions let me know. But if the features -- balanced, easy front-facing controls, USB, optical, analogue pre-outs (I use for my desktop AudioEngine speakers) -- then the performance and sound quality I would say are very very good and exceptional for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back