Fostex HP-A4BL (the A4 with balanced output)
Dec 27, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #91 of 401
I have checked the output power of A4BL: it's 150mW or higher for 32ohm unbalanced and 300mW balanced output. The PCB board looks well designed from a glance. For me the optical input, features, and Japan Made are the selling points. If you are using super hard to drive headphones, A4BL is probably not ideal.

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #94 of 401
The original seller on Amazon cancelled my order last night.  :>(

Re-ordered this morning through another seller on Amazon but now my estimated arrival date is sometime during the first week in January.  Oh well, good things are worth have some patience.

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #95 of 401
According to Amazon my HP-A4BL was delivered today.  That was faster than expected!  The long weekend and New Year's break should give me an opportunity to get well acquainted with it this weekend.

One thing seems to be certain, this particular device is really flying under the radar.  There doesn't seem to be much buzz about it and I don't think I've found any reviews online either.  The HP-A3 was well regarded and well received but it seems like there might be a lot more competition in the under $400 amp/DAC market than there was a few years ago when it launched.

"Made in Japan" + Balanced XLR output at this price point should be a strong selling feature so maybe the device just needs more publicity.

Jan 1, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #96 of 401
  According to Amazon my HP-A4BL was delivered today.  That was faster than expected!  The long weekend and New Year's break should give me an opportunity to get well acquainted with it this weekend.

One thing seems to be certain, this particular device is really flying under the radar.  There doesn't seem to be much buzz about it and I don't think I've found any reviews online either.  The HP-A3 was well regarded and well received but it seems like there might be a lot more competition in the under $400 amp/DAC market than there was a few years ago when it launched.

"Made in Japan" + Balanced XLR output at this price point should be a strong selling feature so maybe the device just needs more publicity.

Buying from Japan the price is about 348 USD, which is hard to beat. TBH there isn't much competition and A4BL does have a spot. 

Jan 1, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #97 of 401
Well, I wish Fostex much success with the HP-A4BL.  It's certainly satisfying my needs and looks great on my desk while doing so.  I'm itching to match a set of cans with an actual Fostex driver to it but as I just spent $600+ for the HP-A4BL and my new Meze 99 Classics I am holding off on new audio gear purchases for awhile in the name of domestic tranquility.

Jan 1, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #98 of 401
I will have Fostex TH-610 in a few days, I'm wondering if I should get this amp or something more powerful. Apparently Chord Electronics is going to announce some new stuff as well...

Jan 1, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #99 of 401
The HP-A4BL would do a great job with the 25 ohm TH-610's.  Then again, so would anything by Chord, albeit at a higher price.  The Fostex gets you enough power to get the job done and a great feature set at an excellent price.

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #100 of 401
Has anyone tried the HP-A4BL with at least a couple of IEMs?

Low noise floor, even when it's turned up?

Good channel balance at low volumes?

I've been contemplating getting this as a replacement for my JDS C5D, I'd love to have a volume knob to quickly turn down the music as I listen mostly at work and sometimes get bugged frequently and need to mute the volume quick.

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #102 of 401
  Has anyone tried the HP-A4BL with at least a couple of IEMs?

Low noise floor, even when it's turned up?

Good channel balance at low volumes?

I've been contemplating getting this as a replacement for my JDS C5D, I'd love to have a volume knob to quickly turn down the music as I listen mostly at work and sometimes get bugged frequently and need to mute the volume quick.

Good news.  The HP-A4BL displays no hiss even at max volume with my IEM's plugged in.  Also no channel imbalance at low volumes.  It's just smooth, silky sound with a quiet, quiet background.

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #103 of 401
  Good news.  The HP-A4BL displays no hiss even at max volume with my IEM's plugged in.  Also no channel imbalance at low volumes.  It's just smooth, silky sound with a quiet, quiet background.

Hi, what IEMs do you use with hpa-4bl?
I have the Shure SE846, you think they pair well (noise floor, sound quality)
thanks

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #104 of 401
Sony MDR - EX650 T is my every day pair of IEM's.  I have no experience with the Shure SE846's so I can't speak to those but it does a good job with my Sony MA900's (Open back 12ohm)  Meze 99 Classics (Closed back 32ohm) and the Sony EX650 (IEM) so it is a versatile unit with both low and high gain settings.

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #105 of 401
http://review.kakaku.com/review/K0000840187/#tab
・バランス接続(本機は擬似バランス、GND分離とのこと):HD650の純正ケーブルを改造して使用(XLR4化とXLR4->標準プラグ作成) まず、同じボリュームでもバランスの方が音が大きい。中高域がクリアになり、かつ全域でメリハリが出たと感じる。事前に他人のレビューを参考にしてたのでプラセボを否定できませんが…。いずれにせよ、HD650を敢えてアンバランス接続することは今後は無いでしょう。GOOGLE>>>>Balanced connection (This machine has pseudo balance, GND separation): Use the original cable of HD650 remodeled (XLR 4 and XLR 4 -> Create standard plug) First of all, balanced sound is bigger even with the same volume. I feel that the middle to high range has become clearer and the sharpness has come out across the whole area. I could not deny a placebo because I was referring to the reviews of others in advance. In any case, there is no way to dare to unbalance the HD 650 in the future.
ps> thats a cool web.even use google translate still lots of fun 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back