Fostex HP-A4BL (the A4 with balanced output)
Nov 26, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #76 of 401
  Wait, so this thing has less power than the O2? Have you tried this thing with XLR output yet to see if there's more power there?

Yes. At least based on how far I have to turn the volume knob to volume match. I've not maxed out the volume dial on either, nor do I intend to. From rough memory, with the MDR-Z1R's I turn the volume knob around 30-35% of the way on the O2, and roughly 40-45% of the way on the HP-A4BL, that's unbalanced, both in low gain. Any more than that is too loud and uncomfortable for my personal preferences. With the T1's, it's a similar positioning for both but in high gain, and similar again for the HD800's, if anything a fraction lower than needed for the T1's.

I have not tested balanced on the HP-A4BL yet (waiting for my balanced cables to come through), but according to their site specs, balanced essentially offers twice the power output.

Nov 27, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #77 of 401
I also own this Dac/amp, in conjunction with the hifiman 400i, so far I love everything about it. You can't go wrong for the price. I'll try to do a video review in the coming weeks since I can't find no reviews on this product. Others are welcome.....

This thing rocks.

So I ended up purchasing this little baby out of sheer curiosity. I needed a bedside Amp/Dac set up, and as touched upon above, was contemplating between another O2+ODAC, a JDS The Element, Schiit Jotunheim, and this Fostex HP-A4BL. The Fostex was the cheapest to include a balanced XLR output on top of an optical out (for connecting to the PS4 Pro/PS4 or Xbox One), so I thought why not. You can find it from between £360 and £375, which makes it fairly solid value. It's only $350 in the US, which is even better value for money.

The Schiit Jotunheim was the next cheapest attractive alternative to include balanced out, but doesn't have an optical in, and is also £90 more expensive at todays exchange rate (including shipping), but not including taxes (a possible 20% VAT on top). Granted specs wise it's a lot more powerful.

Initial impressions.

After some brief testing with the HP-A4BL yesterday, I cannot believe this Dac/Amp combo is not more popular. Why this thread is only on page 5, whilst the Jotunheim's is on page 177, I'm not quite sure.

In terms of sound quality, it is every bit as competent as the Violectric V200+Rein Audio X-DAC, the X-DAC+O2 and the O2+ODAC. There are miniscule differences between some of them, depending on the connection type and combination set up used, but it's generally a case of very minor, oft insignificant, other times nonexistent one's that don't massively sway things either way.

Importance of volume matched A/B'ing, including blind.

Essentially the HP-A4BL on it's own (internal DAC and amp) via USB, sounds exactly the same as the Rein Audio X-DAC + Objective 2 combo via Optical, which is one of my fave combinations that I own or have tested (including versus other much more expensive gear I either own, or no longer own). And for the record, I A/B blind tested multiple times (with the help of my wife), and volume matched via mic readings before hand. Before I did that, placebo was well and truly kicking in (including when comparing the two different digital filter modes).

The mind is a powerful thing. Trust me, until you've persistently A/B tested with extreme analytical concentration, with as close to perfectly volume matched set up's as possible, do not think you can accurately gauge sonic differences. Simply put, you can't. Even a 5-10% difference in volume between set ups can make all the difference.

USB vs Optical?

Another good thing about the HP-A4BL is that out of my Macbook Pro Retina, just as with my X-DAC, there does seem to be a very slight difference in signature between Optical and USB (based on rudimentary preliminary testing), which is good because it allows me to switch between neutral and ever so slightly warm. 

Power.

One slight negative however is that the HP-A4BL doesn't quite have the same amount of power as my O2, nor my Violectric V200. That said, it still has more than enough for my use, and is sufficient enough to power the MDR-Z1R's, HD800's and T1's. With the Z1R's I don't go need to beyond half volume on low gain, and with the other two, I don't even get to half way on the volume knob in high gain, In other words, there's more than enough juice for real world use.

For now.

I'll go in to more detail in my subsequent review, including comparisons with all the different combos I've compared, but for now I'd like to do more tests, including more blind A/B one's. I haven't even gotten around to testing the balanced out yet, which I'm looking forward to.

In conclusion ahead of my review though, just go buy this amp/dac. For the money you simply cannot go wrong. 

Pic.

Here's a cheeky mobile snap. Apologies for the ugly white cardboard box, just waiting for my new Oak bedside draw to be delivered!

Nov 27, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #78 of 401
Whenever you get your balanced cables let me know, I am interested in this option aswell.

Dec 3, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #79 of 401
Has anyone tried the set of Balanced Cables yet on the HP-A4BL?

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #80 of 401
Has anyone tried the set of Balanced Cables yet on the HP-A4BL?

I have, but before I post more impressions I'm just waiting on one more set of balanced cables to turn up, so I can determine whether the difference I'm hearing is the cable, or the output from the amp/DAC itself. Presumably it should be through the device itself and not the cable. All I can say for now is that after multiple A/B comparisons, I do feel like the balanced out with my current cables, sounds ever so slightly warmer, with the mids being a touch more forward. However I don't want to confirm that until I've done more volume matched testing, including blind A/Bing.

I should also add, the balanced out delivers more power than the single ended. Not by a huge degree, but an appreciable one, perhaps 20%ish difference on the volume pot.

Dec 25, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #82 of 401
Recently obtained the Schiit Jotunheim, really pleased with the quality of the unit. DAC and amp power upgrade is obvious over Fiio e07k. On HE400i, bass is even more immediate, vocals are warm, and soundstage just opens up. Very pretty, but has significant heat output. I'm someone who just hates heat output problems, so I'm considering Fostex HP-A4BL's cool head over the power and feature of the Jot. Can someone compare the "frequency response" of these two?

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #86 of 401
I don't really think HP-A4BL would compare to Jot! At 300mw (32ohm) is already 3x more power then HP-A4 USB powered model. Jot is a monster compare to A4BL

Indeed i would agree that the HP-A4BL would not compare to jot in its amp, the question is how much. HP-A4 is usb powered, HP-A4BL has 12V/1.5A DC, therefore it can be assumed to have more powerful amp than HP-A4. The problem is I already have a PC in the vicinity, I really don't need another heater in my room. The HP-A4BL has features (Phones/RCA button) that I might use more commonly than the Jot (balanced input). If HP-A4BL has an amp somewhat comparable to Jot, I would prefer to have a cooler room back.

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #87 of 401
I am in the same shoe as you, been debating to myself going after a mid/low range desktop amp/dac and pair an other headphone (i.e. Final Sonorous III) with a dragonfly red as a temp set-up for all day use, but I am thinking to get a mojo as mobile endgame setup, and use mojo as Dac + higher end desktop amp moving to my end game setup. I really don't want to going down the rabbit hole too deep...

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #88 of 401
I don't really think HP-A4BL would compare to Jot! At 300mw (32ohm) is already 3x more power then HP-A4 USB powered model. Jot is a monster compare to A4BL

It is more powerful but does it sound better? I've seen reports hat said Jot has treble haze and harshness.

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #89 of 401
I am in the same shoe as you, been debating to myself going after a mid/low range desktop amp/dac and pair an other headphone (i.e. Final Sonorous III) with a dragonfly red as a temp set-up for all day use, but I am thinking to get a mojo as mobile endgame setup, and use mojo as Dac + higher end desktop amp moving to my end game setup. I really don't want to going down the rabbit hole too deep...

I've not heard the mojo, but if you're going for portable amp, do check out the Oppo HA-2SE before buying the mojo. I've heard many saying the Oppo HA-2SE is much better proposition for its price and features. When I inevitably get a portable dac/amp, that's probably my purchase. For me, I've already known for a long time that I'm the guy that tripped over the audiophile rabbit hole, plummeted straight down the tunnel without a scratch only to land on my keys. So I'm trying to avoid purchasing anything unnecessary, and instead focusing on saving up for that endgame setup.

It is more powerful but does it sound better? I've seen reports hat said Jot has treble haze and harshness.

Is that a "dac-centric" issue? Compared to which units of same price range?

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #90 of 401
I just ordered one of these from Amazon using some Gift cards I had saved up.  I've done a ton of research over the last couple of days on amp/DAC combos and the HP-A4BL seems like the right combination of features, aesthetics (yes, how it looks on my desk is important to me) and price.

Will report back once I've had a few days worth of listening under my belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back