Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jun 28, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #31 of 6,742
It is a shame and greedy from Focal to ship out defective expensive HP from factory like this. It should be checked and QC accordingly before announcing the new products to customers for purchasing.

The actual defective rate was under 2%. Personally I respect what they have done. I wish all companies handled things like Focal did. Just my 2 cents.

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #32 of 6,742
  Yup, and scratched on one cup. No sound from the left cup either. 

Mistakes happen... We are human. I vented and now I am cool I will just wait to hear back. I am sure they will be nice about it. I was just really stoked and then by default became really upset because I actually left work early just to hear them.

They are heavier than I was expecting. I actually may find the LCD2.2's just as comfortable but the build looks really nice. I played one song from the right cup but don't feel right commenting on sound other than to say its not bright. 

Sorry to hear about your headphones.  Out of curiosity, would you say they are equal weight to your LCD2.2s?  Mind commenting on the comfort since it would be silly to comment on the sound?

Jun 28, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #33 of 6,742

It is a shame and greedy from Focal to ship out defective expensive HP from factory like this. It should be checked and QC accordingly before announcing the new products to customers for purchasing.

The actual defective rate was under 2%. Personally I respect what they have done. I wish all companies handled things like Focal did. Just my 2 cents.

I agree

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #34 of 6,742

Interesting that you see it as greedy.  They're spending a lot of money to bring back every headphone just in case it has a problem.  Generally, greedy people don't like to spend money.  Greedy would have been waiting for owners with defective units to contact them so they only needed to repair a select few.  Recalling every unit is the sign of a company who cares about putting out the best possible product.  

As far as QC, I'm not sure if you realize how that kind of thing works.  In general, on production lines, they check only a select few items from each batch for quality.  If the selected items are okay, they assume the entire batch is okay.  This is how problems slip through in any manufactured product.  (It's also one of the reasons why I love buying refurbished items:  you know every single one has been gone over and checked.)

In this case, the fact that every Elear and Utopia will be gone over and checked now inspires confidence in me as a consumer.  At least IMHO.

Jun 28, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #35 of 6,742
Interesting that you see it as greedy.  They're spending a lot of money to bring back every headphone just in case it has a problem.  Generally, greedy people don't like to spend money.  Greedy would have been waiting for owners with defective units to contact them so they only needed to repair a select few.  Recalling every unit is the sign of a company who cares about putting out the best possible product.  

As far as QC, I'm not sure if you realize how that kind of thing works.  In general, on production lines, they check only a select few items from each batch for quality.  If the selected items are okay, they assume the entire batch is okay.  This is how problems slip through in any manufactured product.  (It's also one of the reasons why I love buying refurbished items:  you know every single one has been gone over and checked.)

In this case, the fact that every Elear and Utopia will be gone over and checked now inspires confidence in me as a consumer.  At least IMHO.
Where are the Focal dealers in this issue? Not a word except you will receive another hp on your way. That new hp probably another defected hp. They should talk to Focal America stated that new batches to consumers should be free of defect. Of course, these are not loudspeaker so QC is not that important to them; however, it's still a lot of money for other customers waiting to receive one. I,myself, also is one of those customers, waiting for Elear to get ship.

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #37 of 6,742
Where are the Focal dealers in this issue? Not a word except you will receive another hp on your way. 

What do the dealers have to do with it?  It was a problem from the factory and Focal issued the recall.  Literally every Elear ever made is going back to France so the dealers have no stock.  Maybe I'm missing something... what would you like the dealers to do?  

That new hp probably another defected hp. They should talk to Focal America stated that new batches to consumers should be free of defect. Of course, these are not loudspeaker so QC is not that important to them; 

If you read my post above, you'll see that it's extremely unlikely to be defective again (if indeed it was defective to begin with, given the 2% quoted failure rate).  And you say QC isn't important yet they're recalling every unit at their own expense.  

however, it's still a lot of money for other customers waiting to receive one. I,myself, also is one of those customers, waiting for Elear to get ship.

I suspect the dealers would refund you the money if you asked.  Have you asked?

I understand that you're feeling frustrated.  It's an exciting headphone and it's not cheap and you want it yesterday.  Unfortunately, **** happens.  It ALWAYS happens.  The real question is how it's handled when the time comes.  I personally feel that Focal is handling it about as well as anyone can. 

Jun 28, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #38 of 6,742

Oh well, back to my home stereo listening while waiting for Elear to ship, not defected. I hope.
deadhorse.gif

So, Utopia has no defect so far and Elear has it. Same Fab?

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #39 of 6,742
^^wow
rolleyes.gif
 a bit irrational are we. 

COMFORT
I felt that they have somewhat of a strong clamp because my head is so big. The pads were very soft and I for one am a fan of microfiber material because it allows my ears to breathe and not get sweaty. My ears fit inside with a lot of room and never touched the drivers. The Audeze LCD2 was just as comfortable if not more so  in my opinion because the pads were more plush and the clamp is a little less. Don't really expect a huge step up in comfort but do expect a big step up in build quality. The LCD2.2 gimbals are cheaply made in my opinion. Just because it has wood on it doesn't make it luxury. 

I do give them the comfort over the Kennerton Vali though but the build quality is a toss up. The Vali, while more rustic, is a worth your money kind of build. Only time will really tell which has the better build quality but I would place bets on the Vali surviving a war and whatever scratches it gets to be easily looked over. The Elear is one of those easy to scratch and blemish kind of headphones but its a beauty to look at in person and way easier to get a secure fit with than the Vali's knob system. 

Though the Elear doesn't swivel much in the headband, it was practically the easiest to get the right fit of just about any headphone I can name except for the HDXXX's, well actually the HD800 takes some wiggling for me to get the cups to secure behind my ears right but overall is  a lot more comfortable than the Elear. I know they say the weight is evenly distributed but you still feel it. Nonetheless I am impervious to it so I am not the best one to ask. I kind of like slightly heavy phones to be honest.

That cable is literally the heftiest, and longest cable I have ever pulled out of a headphone box but I really do think the length is practical. I can lay here on my couch next to my desktop rig with no problems. 

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #40 of 6,742
Ok, I'd like to add a little fact to this thread. The issue with the Elear was reported by Audio Addict on Friday. As soon as he told me the issue I immediately called and reported it to France. Then about an hour later I received a a PM from Grizzly letting me know of his issue. I again immediately reported it to France. On Saturday I received a call from Focal France asking me to get all sold product and unsold product back to them. 2 hours later I received another call from France letting me know they discovered the cause. This was a Saturday, a weekend mind you. Each time I called Focal France, I was speaking with the CEO on his personal cell. On Sunday I received a call from Focal production and was given instructions to be sure the people that had purchased the units were to be treated with the fastest possible service. Of course that isn't a problem because that is our business model. On Monday I was called again and they discussed with me how fast they had plans on taking care of the buyers. Not one day went by without direct communications with Focal Executive Management, mostly the CEO. Today they called and told me how and when things would happen. Everyone that has a unit to be replaced will have their new units next week.I have never seen such rapid response times like this and I've never seen a manufacturer spend so much money to make sure their customers are taken care of.

I know that no other dealer has the CEO's cell number and I know that The Source AV is uniquely tied into its manufacturer relationships like no other dealers can be, but Focal stepped up like a serious champion and for sure they have captured every customers attention on their level of commitment. Not one customer complained about the issue after they were told what was going to happen. In fact, I know of 3 customers that are now purchasing Focal Utopia Home Audio speakers because of this proactive response on the headphones.

I've never been so proud as I am now for being a Focal Dealer and look forward to getting these customers their Focal headphones so quickly. 

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 28, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #42 of 6,742
^^wow 
rolleyes.gif
 a bit irrational are we. 

People are too easy to jump to conclusions, that same person you quoted also instantly assumed Grizzly's pair being broken on the left ear was a Focal QC related issue without having the slightest idea regarding what happened to the headphones in question. Doesn't matter to which length companies go to to provide the best customer support possible, sort of saddens me to see to the same extent as people who call up a company they have an issue with to rage out at the poor lady that's picking up the phones who is probably more than willing to help and/or comfort (more often than not).

Nothing but respect for someone that's willing to go the extra mile to make sure every single product they produce is up to the standard it should be. 2 people having issues with their headphones and suddenly Focal are greedy, zero awareness of how things are actually handled. Guess the several hundreds that have had no issues (some of which surely do not even frequent head-fi) have to speak out otherwise the faulty product bias is through the roof.

More to the point, I hope you get your pair soon @grizzlybeast and @Audio Addict will be great to hear your full impressions as you know!

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #43 of 6,742
People are too easy to jump to conclusions, that same person you quoted also instantly assumed Grizzly's pair being broken on the left ear was a Focal QC related issue without having the slightest idea regarding what happened to the headphones in question. Doesn't matter to which length companies go to to provide the best customer support possible, sort of saddens me to see to the same extent as people who call up a company they have an issue with to rage out at the poor lady that's picking up the phones who is probably more than willing to help and/or comfort (more often than not).

Nothing but respect for someone that's willing to go the extra mile to make sure every single product they produce is up to the standard it should be. 2 people having issues with their headphones and suddenly Focal are greedy, zero awareness of how things are actually handled. Guess the several hundreds that have had no issues (some of which surely do not even frequent head-fi) have to speak out otherwise the faulty product bias is through the roof.

More to the point, I hope you get your pair soon @grizzlybeast
 and @Audio Addict
 will be great to hear your full impressions as you know!
Nicely said! I suggest that all buyers check with their dealer on delivery schedules

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 29, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #45 of 6,742

Hello Mr. Jason,

I am glad that you did something by telling your story from your weekend to us customers. In fact, you got Focal CEO responded to you and hopefully the whole US dealers about the problem and acted very quickly in IMO from your story.

Thank you for let us know the truth. Otherwise, I would be very worried about my Elear coming in July timeframe might have the same problem. Ordered one without hearing first because no dealer here, just based on video( like the look of them HPs over HD800/LCD/Abyss/Speaker/Hifiman) and this site light hearing impression or SQ descriptions which is a very risky investment. However, after reading of the initial problem, I think I deserved to say something about it instead being silenced.

I just hope Focal QC will be a lot better by now.

Again, thank you for your hard work. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back