Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jun 29, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #931 of 5,632
x2.

I really don't understand the hair trigger people have in this thread. There are only a handful of people who have actually heard the headphones and it seems like every time they answer a question, or share their opinion, there are a couple posts of attacks. Not to mention what I feel is simply rude behaviour toward Jason, simply because he is a re-seller. If you don't like someones opinions then respond with courtesy, scroll past it, block that member, or flag it if it's breaking the rules. Otherwise can we please move on from the pages of posts from people questioning other peoples opinion.

Seems every time I look at this thread I just want to do this......

Yes.  Just, yes.

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #932 of 5,632
It almost seems like there is conspiracy against Focal. It makes me all the more interested to demo them due to the controversy. It seems like there is some unjust vitriol especially as it's pointed out a lot of people haven't even heard them yet.

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #933 of 5,632
I know I'm new to all this but I have to say my feelings. I know Dan, we almost never agree 100% but occasionally we are close. To allow someone to nearly come out and call him a shill. This is not only wrong but ludicrous. He's tried to help so many here and this is what he gets? KMA! I understand you pissing at me. I'm the bad guy that makes a living helping people buy audio products. So obviously since I don't just give you the gear free I'm a terrible guy but that's not Dan. So I for one have no interest in introducing you to new products nor do I have any further interest in being a part of such a horrible group of people. I'll stick with people that actually appreciate when good people try to be of help.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 29, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #934 of 5,632
I'd like to read some discussion of the headphones, along with impressions too, not just arguments containing conspiracy theories. Seriously, if a manufacturer produces a bad statement headphone, they, and anyone who reports their performance in a way that conflicts drastically with that of many customers, has a much bigger distance to fall. 

I can think of one manufacturer whose $3k statement headphones turned out extremely bad, and they were rubbished as a result. They certainly didn't have well-known members who had auditioned them falling over with praise. 

Jun 29, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #935 of 5,632
Seriously, if a manufacturer produces a bad statement headphone, they, and anyone who reports their performance in a way that conflicts drastically with that of many customers, has a much bigger distance to fall. 

This will be true after these headphones are widely available. Until then, they remain accessible to an exclusive few.

I love focal and naim products and I do hope that these two headphones will be a success.

Jun 29, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #936 of 5,632
The hd800 and elear are the same price so why not, I can't say one will be better or anything than the other until I try it or a few people review it. The 400i for the money lack detail and sound stage compared to my grado rs2 for similar price point as well as a few sennheiser's in that range and I'm sure plenty others. At the 350 range the 400i is great and the $500 range there's too much competition. I'd love to hear if the same is true for the focals or if they really bring something new to the table. Focal is a great audio company and its interesting to see their first attempt into high end headphones.

Jun 29, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #937 of 5,632
[size=x-small]I think the main frustration for me is the 'exclusive' way in which these were launched. There was lots of excitement and interest which was then not followed up by Focal through making  them [/size]available[size=x-small] for reviews and sales [/size]worldwide[size=x-small]. Consequently, we are all hyped up and eager but with only a small, but very valid and appreciated, range of opinions and no way to gain any further information.  It is a shame that Focal did not have these ready to roll out everywhere so that they maintained the momentum (not counting the re-call as this was unforeseen).  It all feels a bit of an anti-climax really. [/size]

I am still really keen to hear more impressions when these headphones are finally on the market. I'm especially interested in a comparison between the Elear and the AQ Nighthawk (also a bit controversial) but my favourite headphone to date.

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #939 of 5,632
I'd also love to hear comparison on Audeze lcd 2.

thats more like it.

the 800 despite its price is in a whole 'nother league sonically over the LCD2.

Even the 800 bass is tighter. I know I only heard one ear cup but I am 100% sure that the Elear is not in the same league as the 800. 

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #940 of 5,632
The hd800 and elear are the same price so why not, I can't say one will be better or anything than the other until I try it or a few people review it. The 400i for the money lack detail and sound stage compared to my grado rs2 for similar price point as well as a few sennheiser's in that range and I'm sure plenty others. At the 350 range the 400i is great and the $500 range there's too much competition. I'd love to hear if the same is true for the focals or if they really bring something new to the table. Focal is a great audio company and its interesting to see their first attempt into high end headphones.

I think you take price too seriously.
HD800 and Elear won't be compared that much because they are very different headphones in terms of tonal balance.
HD800 is very neutralish, almost dry with bright treble, while Elear seems to be much more laid back and relaxed with slightly raised bass and a slight roll off in the treble.
That's why comparisons between Elear and HD650 are more likely to happen than comparisons between HD800 and Elear.

Comparing headphones for their signature/purpose is much more useful than comparing headphones for their price.
You'll find that a ($250) AKG K702 can blast your Grados and higher end Grados as well, for studio applications.
On the other hand, you can rock the house with Grados and not so much with the K702.

HD800/S vs Utopia is more likely to happen because both are tuned more alike.
HD800 could be priced 3999, Utopia could be priced 1499 or 14999, HD800 could be priced 699, Utopia could be priced 699 as well.
Price is not important when it comes to performance and sound signature at this point.

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #941 of 5,632
Hi Guys,

I'd like to drift off-topic for a moment, but in a way that I feel is relevant. If you don't feel like indulging me for this, no worries, please go ahead and skip this post.

When I first joined Head-Fi, I lurked for about nine months. This was a foreign world to me, where the culture - and even the language - was incomprehensible at times. Even after I finally worked up the courage to start posting regularly, I was still very much a noob. And in many ways, I still am.

Yet many of the veteran members here at Head-Fi were forgiving of my ignorance and inexperience. Even though many of them had been here since Head-Fi was founded... and were members at HeadWize before that... they were not jaded, nor did they hold contempt for me. They were patient with me. They taught me, mentored me, and lent me their knowledge until I could acquire my own. And through them, I learned that Head-Fi is all about helping each other, and being good to one another.

As time went on, I developed a strong desire to pass-on what I had learned, to pay it all forward. And as luck would have it, I could do just that. Because I often found myself with better access than most, I was often privy to try new gear before it was released - much like Stillhart was recently privy to the new Focal models before they were released. And like Stillhart, I rushed here to Head-Fi with my impressions to help as many people as I could. I just wanted to help, the way Stillhart was trying to help just now.

And yes, like Stillhart, I took my fair share of criticism from the peanut gallery. Those of you who were here for the Audeze LCD-X and LCD-XC launches will remember what I mean. And by peanut gallery, I mean people that had never even heard the gear that I was referring to. That's fine I suppose. We don't all agree, nor should we. But you know what's one thing that has never happened to me? I was never, not once, not even in jest, accused of being a shill.

Today, for the very first time since the day I joined Head-Fi, I feel genuinely ashamed. I am ashamed of how my fellow Head-Fi members are treating one of our very own. Disagree with him if you want to. Criticize him if you must. But if you're going to accuse Stillhart of something devious like trying to push gear on you, then you better come with something more than hollow words... and you'll have to come through me.

When you belittle fellow members who have auditioned the gear that YOU WANT to learn about (which is presumably why you are in this thread at all), you are killing that volunteer spirit within them. You are insulting them and devaluing their sacrifices (time spent away from their families, time spent listening to music, etc.). And in a way, you are insulting every Head-Fier who has ever tried to help others by posting his/her honest impressions for no reward whatsoever - myself included.

I don't know what would make you think this kind of behavior is okay. But I hope that whatever is bothering you in life, whatever it is that's making you treat your fellow Head-Fiers this way, I hope you overcome it soon so that you can once again treat others with civility and respect.

In the meantime, I hope you can at least realize that Stillhart was not deserving of your scorn or callous accusations, and that you can summon the courage to apologize to him. Actually, what would be even better is this: you can use your resources and connections to secure the Focal headphones for an audition of your own, and then face down the vitriol that you likewise would not deserve, as you try to do nothing more that post impressions and help people. Then you'll understand just how hurtful you've been, as well as how undeserving of it Stillhart was.

TL;DR

Be good to one another.

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #942 of 5,632
As a business person it affects the consumer end, most or almost all consumers will come with a budget. I'd spend 1,000-1,500 on headphones but most likely not 3,000-4,000 even though I've spent 15 times that on speakers or 20 times that on a car. It's just a matter of which I use more and to me offers more bang for the buck, it's all a matter of perceived value or reasonable price for quality level desired. Almost everyone comes in with a budget no matter what their person finances are. So stating buying perceived best sound for budget will not be considered is foolish. The hd800 when powered and cables properly can sound detailed and slightly warm. As of now there's not enough info on the focal to judge the sound, since focal typically on speakers can also be clinical so I'd still believe the elear will have a fair share of detail even if slightly warm and can't wait to try them. Not sure why everyone hates focal so much, they make very nice audio equipment.

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #944 of 5,632
As a business person it affects the consumer end, most or almost all consumers will come with a budget. I'd spend 1,000-1,500 on headphones but most likely not 3,000-4,000 even though I've spent 15 times that on speakers or 20 times that on a car. It's just a matter of which I use more and to me offers more bang for the buck, it's all a matter of perceived value or reasonable price for quality level desired. Almost everyone comes in with a budget no matter what their person finances are. So stating buying perceived best sound for budget will not be considered is foolish. The hd800 when powered and cables properly can sound detailed and slightly warm. As of now there's not enough info on the focal to judge the sound, since focal typically on speakers can also be clinical so I'd still believe the elear will have a fair share of detail even if slightly warm and can't wait to try them. Not sure why everyone hates focal so much, they make very nice audio equipment.

Searching high grade headphones by price is almost silly.

Look around, you'll find plenty of people who prefer
HD650 over HD800.
HE-1000 over SR-009.
LCD-2 over HD800
HD800 over LCD-4
HE400i over HE560
There's even a thread made by those who prefer K701/2 over HD800.

Apples and oranges might cost the same.
If you want apples, search for apples, if you want oranges, search for oranges.
What's the point in asking for a comparison between apples and oranges?

Going around this thread you'll find measurements and a bunch of very valuable impressions about the new Focal Elear.
Elear vs LCD-2, HD650, Nighthawk makes more sense than Elear vs HD800, but I'm sure you'll find a few of those as well in the near future.

Last but not least, there's plenty of people here who respect Focal very much, including myself.
Not sure why you've concluded that everyone hates Focal.

PS. If HD800 is warm, then almost each and every headphone is warm as well and that's not very useful.

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #945 of 5,632
Have you guys sended these headphones to Tyll yet? I'm curious what he thinks about these headphones and his measurements.

I was told that I have to wait till August so I won't be able to listen to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back