flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 11, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #31,306 of 39,419
Well this is very interesting if you have purchased a Odin, obviously it’s just his personal view.

I’m calling BS. I doubt it will topple the Z1R’s bass let alone Odin’s. I believe this is the guy that preferred the Trio over the LX despite him acknowledging that it was more technical. Says a lot about his tuning preferences and he’s also a big Sennheiser fan. Either way, happy to be proven wrong... was a big fan of the ie800 but It can’t hold a candle to today’s flagships. I’ll wait for more user impressions to come out before making any judgements.

May 11, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #31,308 of 39,419
I’m calling BS. I doubt it will topple the Z1R’s bass let alone Odin’s. I believe this is the guy that preferred the Trio over the LX despite him acknowledging that it was more technical. Says a lot about his tuning preferences and he’s also a big Sennheiser fan. Either way, happy to be proven wrong... was a big fan of the ie800 but It can’t hold a candle to today’s flagships. I’ll wait for more user impressions to come out before making any judgements.
True, although he is the same guy that gave the Odin a fantastic review also.

May 11, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #31,309 of 39,419
True, although he is the same guy that gave the Odin a fantastic review also.
Yep, seen that too. He only mentioned the bass and the feeling I get from his videos is that he prefers a slightly north of neutral bass response. Odin is very north of neutral in the sub bass. I think his comments are more in relation to the tuning than anything.

May 11, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #31,312 of 39,419
Hopefully we will be able to hear for ourselves very soon in Harrods, Selfridges and hopefully Canjam London and be able to compare it against the Odin.

I’m 95% sure it won’t hold a candle to Odin on anything other than the bass but yeah, looking forward to hearing more impressions.

May 11, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #31,316 of 39,419
If that is the case then his glowing review of the Odin is completely off the mark also by your book.

No-- his glowing review might be off the mark by my book. I put way more stock in the collective impressions of lay members whose tastes I agree with and/or relate to than any reviewer. That said the Odin is an interesting case-- there are some people, like @Tristy (whose tastes in broad strokes more-or-less line up with my own) who love it, and others who have sold it due to the upper mid energy which gives me pause as that has been a deal breaker for me in the past. Ultimately in this case (for me) a demo is needed.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #31,317 of 39,419
Imagine if they saw half the things talked about on this thread alone... 😄

8736064F-4CAC-47E8-9DCD-D8F4C97B839F.png

May 11, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #31,319 of 39,419
No-- his glowing review might be off the mark by my book. I put way more stock in the collective impressions of lay members whose tastes I know and/or relate to than any reviewer. That said the Odin is an interesting case-- there are some people, like @Tristy (whose tastes in broad strokes are more-or-less line up with my own) who love it, and others who have sold it due to the upper mid energy which gives me pause as that has been a deal breaker for me in the past. Ultimately in this case (for me) a demo is needed.
Given your tuning preferences, I don't think Odin would be to your tastes... especially fresh out of the box. If you were considering it I would definitely recommend demoing knowing your preferences. For the majority of the music I listen to however it is very satisfying. Saying that, after extended usage it sounds markedly more neutral to me. It's weird and strangely it was the same case with the LX and to a lesser extent, Hero. I think @subguy812 touches on this in his review. Either way, when I'm not listening to it I'm counting down the moments to when I can listen to it haha even if I have my other IEM's in my ears. But yeah, there's so many factors that come into play in this hobby and thats why you can never take a single persons word as gospel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back