flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 8, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #631 of 39,414
Ye
Maybe it was simply too cold for me. The soundstage was great, but I thought the Encore had better layering. The ZeusR was too flat for me, but the XIV had great mids and soundstage but for me at the expense of other tonality I prefer. I had in comply tips and got a good seal.

Have you heard u18? For me I preferred that presentation. I'd be curious your comparisons between the two.

I heard U18 in Canjam NYC. It was pretty good but I still prefer Zeus-XRA. U18 is too warm for me. However, can really compare much in Canjam. It was just 10 mins of listening time.

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #632 of 39,414
I heard U18 in Canjam NYC. It was pretty good but I still prefer Zeus-XRA. U18 is too warm for me. However, can really compare much in Canjam. It was just 10 mins of listening time.

Makes sense! Just different preferences at play. I listened to that u18 a little too long :wink:. Very warm and musical but still incredibly resolving.

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #633 of 39,414
Ye
Maybe it was simply too cold for me. The soundstage was great, but I thought the Encore had better layering. The ZeusR was too flat for me, but the XIV had great mids and soundstage but for me at the expense of other tonality I prefer. I had in comply tips and got a good seal.

Have you heard u18? For me I preferred that presentation. I'd be curious your comparisons between the two.

I'm also a bit surprised by this to be honest. I can understand if you don't like it for whatever reason, but I would never classify it as cold. It's a slightly warmer, midcentric version of neutral. And especially Zeus XIV has excellent layering. What source did you use? Maybe that played a role.

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #634 of 39,414
I'm also a bit surprised by this to be honest. I can understand if you don't like it for whatever reason, but I would never classify it as cold. It's a slightly warmer, midcentric version of neutral. And especially Zeus XIV has excellent layering. What source did you use? Maybe that played a role.

Cold isn't a bad thing per se, just an observation. I was listening to it through a Mojo connected to an iPhone 7.

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #636 of 39,414
  Zeus doesn't perform good with mojo.

And for the same reason, I am considering upgrading to LPG... Mojo doesn't make the Zeus to punch unless EQed. And that too only with certain applications.. I am trying to make it punch with the Vox app for iPhone.. Having a hard time.. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #637 of 39,414

No, I haven't heard the U18. It's very hard to audition (c)iems in this country, unless you visit (which I haven't) Nic
tongue.gif

And for the same reason, I am considering upgrading to LPG... Mojo doesn't make the Zeus to punch unless EQed. And that too only with certain applications.. I am trying to make it punch with the Vox app for iPhone.. Having a hard time.. 

Zeus sounds very good with LPG (slight hiss though), but also with the (cheaper) Cowon P1 
ksc75smile.gif

Btw, my other 3 ciems (H8.2, AR6 & Solar) also sound amazing from LPG, they all scale up!

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #638 of 39,414

LPG sounds very good with Zeus (slight hiss though), but also with the (cheaper) Cowon P1 
ksc75smile.gif

Btw, my other 3 ciems (H8.2, AR6 & Solar) also sound amazing from LPG, they all scale up!

Thanks man. That is very reassuring. Actually, I have been meaning to PM you. But since you are here, and people might find this info helpful, let me ask right here:

Is the hiss level the same on both P1 and LPG? Also how does LPG's soundstage compare to that of the P1?

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #639 of 39,414
  Thanks man. That is very reassuring. Actually, I have been meaning to PM you. But since you are here, and people might find this info helpful, let me ask right here:

Is the hiss level the same on both P1 and LPG? Also how does LPG's soundstage compare to that of the P1?

P1 is my only source with which my ears can not detect hiss on the Zeus. But don't worry about Zeus hiss level on LPG too much, I only hear it inbetween songs and not even on a level that annoys me. When the music starts, you probably won't notice the hiss at all (unless it's a very quiet piece of music).
Btw, my other (c)iems don't hiss with LPG. Zeus is just very sensitive, but you get amazing resolution in return.
I think the soundstage from LPG and P1 is about on par. Both pretty impressive with the right (c)iems
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #640 of 39,414
  Anecdote:

This afternoon I visited a school where my oldest son (11 years) is supposed to go next year, for a classroom tour. I had to take my youngest too, who is only 5, but absolutely crazy about music and I'm not talking about kids stuff here. He loves the Beatles, Stones, Bowie, Marley, etc. and this started already last year. I'm still pretty amazed about it as I don't have the feeling that I'm pushing him that way at all and I remember that I didn't have the slightest interest in music at that age.

When he saw a drumkit in a music room he immediately ran to it, took place and started hitting that kit like crazy

Well gentlemen, I think I saw the reincarnation of Keith Moon and the future of rock there at that same moment
biggrin.gif

Just get him one of these and call it a day.....we don't need no Keith Moon mini kit. Ha!

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #641 of 39,414
Get yourself some good earplugs (Etymotic makes some, haven't tried them but I bet they isolate well, the iem sure does), and make sure you have the funds available, not cheap!

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #642 of 39,414

Just get him one of these and call it a day.....we don't need no Keith Moon mini kit. Ha!

Get yourself some good earplugs (Etymotic makes some, haven't tried them but I bet they isolate well, the iem sure does), and make sure you have the funds available, not cheap!

I would probably have to sell my house and everything in it
redface.gif

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #643 of 39,414

I would probably have to sell my house and everything in it
biggrin.gif

Ha!!!! Then so be it, the bass drums will accommodate pillows and blankets. 
atsmile.gif

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #644 of 39,414

P1 is my only source with which my ears can not detect hiss on the Zeus. But don't worry about Zeus hiss level on LPG too much, I only hear it inbetween songs and not even on a level that annoys me. When the music starts, you probably won't notice the hiss at all (unless it's a very quiet piece of music).
Btw, my other (c)iems don't hiss with LPG. Zeus is just very sensitive, but you get amazing resolution in return.
I think the soundstage from LPG and P1 is about on par. Both pretty impressive with the right (c)iems
smily_headphones1.gif

Great, thanks..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back